• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the same way. Everything I buy, I wear. More than once. I never buy anything for a one off occasion. This explains why I don't own a tux.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the same way. Everything I buy, I wear. More than once. I never buy anything for a one off occasion. This explains why I don't own a tux.

This philosophy also explains why I (almost) never buy something that can’t be returned. I am currently debating a purchase from a no-returns sale, but I’ll almost certainly not buy because I don’t want to be stuck with something that doesn’t fit or that I don’t like

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like Amanda Mull in the Atlantic.

I donate 85% of the clothes/shoes/kicks that I don't wear anymore to The Bowery Mission here in NYC. Good org that then provides(at no cost) said clothes to people in need/looking for jobs.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe some people are buying a lot more than me (probably) but I don’t understand how people end up with unworn clothing. If I don’t want to wear something the minute I get it, it gets sent back. Excluding gifts, I don’t own anything I haven’t worn.
I treated clothes as a bit of a hobby so I'd experiment with different makers and such. Expensive but kind of fun too. Stopped that now and don't buy as much. I'm still susceptible to the occasional impulse buy or upgrade.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only wear my tux once or twice a year but I love having one. Likely for ego reasons but it's still kinda cool, right? :fonz:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only wear my tux once or twice a year but I love having one. Likely for ego reasons but it's still kinda cool, right? :fonz:
I've only worn a tux twice in my life.
17 y/o for Prom
26 y/o for my friend's wedding.

Both were rented tuxedos.

sftiger

Reaction score
Probably worth having one tux just in case, especially given that you can get pretty good ones used for <$300 on eBay/SF. Why not have one just in case you get invited to a black tie party? Isn't renting a rig going to cost $100-$200 anyway?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I must eschew younger because in my 30 years of life, I have never worn a tux.

I actually went through a purge just recently. I sold like 14 pieces online and I still have several more things I can sell/get rid of. Ive worn everything I own and I don't own a crazy amount but my new job has a "uniform" and it really puts it into perspective what I truly like because I gravitate toward it every time I'm off. I've made a list of very specific stuff I want to buy to keep me focused and away from impulse purchases.

I find it hard to impulse by online, but storefronts make it too easy so I avoid them

Also if anyone wants vintage flannels and stuff hit me up, I'm still trying to get rid of stuff.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
In 2022 lots of people don't even need a suit and the need for tuxes is even more limited but
I think I must eschew younger because in my 30 years of life, I have never worn a tux.

I actually went through a purge just recently. I sold like 14 pieces online and I still have several more things I can sell/get rid of. Ive worn everything I own and I don't own a crazy amount but my new job has a "uniform" and it really puts it into perspective what I truly like because I gravitate toward it every time I'm off. I've made a list of very specific stuff I want to buy to keep me focused and away from impulse purchases.

I find it hard to impulse by online, but storefronts make it too easy so I avoid them

Also if anyone wants vintage flannels and stuff hit me up, I'm still trying to get rid of stuff.

I thought you kinda did the Mexican cowboy thing, you don't wear flannels anymore?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 2022 lots of people don't even need a suit and the need for tuxes is even more limited but

I thought you kinda did the Mexican cowboy thing, you don't wear flannels anymore?

Hell yeah I am still doing the Mexican cowboy thing but I got so many flannels I've thrifted and my new uniform lacks color. I can wear only monochrome grayscale/white/black. So I'm going to insert more Porter Classic, black western stuff, and adjacent however I wanna be slow about it so I pick stuff I actually want to wear.

sftiger

Reaction score

I'm around your age and have worn one upwards of 50 times, maybe close to 100. Used to wear them 5-10 times a year. Know plenty of people around that age who have probably done the same. I think it has to do more with geography than age.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm around your age and have worn one upwards of 50 times, maybe close to 100. Used to wear them 5-10 times a year. Know plenty of people around that age who have probably done the same. I think it has to do more with geography than age.

geography and social group for sure. I’m 45 and I’ve worn a tux 4 times in my life. Wouldn’t be upset if I never got to 5

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geography and social group for sure. I’m 45 and I’ve worn a tux 4 times in my life. Wouldn’t be upset if I never got to 5
What’s it like up in Possum Holler? :bigstar:

A4479A08-072C-40D8-BC3E-F7E2F2C462F5.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads