• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

qazwsx

Reaction score
Desperate, and who wants to wear jacket that says "MR. PORTER" on it?

That's what I felt at first sight too. After reading their concept of reversing roles from B2C to C2B, I felt it's an interesting idea. Guess it's all about which came out first?

The desperate products then the try-hard branding, or the concept first then the birth of products? But of course, probably no one will know the answer for this one.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, Stutterheim's numbers are impressive. From the BBC:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/discussions-about-the-fashion-industry-thread.540063/page-51

Excerpt:

Fast forward to today, and the raincoats - sold with the strapline "Swedish melancholy at its driest" - are sold around the world via the firm's website, from retailers in 29 countries, and at Stutterheim's own physical stores in Stockholm and New York.

The company's annual turnover was 48.5m kronor ($6m; £4.3m) in 2016, and it is expected to post a 25% increase when 2017's results are published, led by the ecommerce side of the business.

"For me it is quite surreal," says Alexander, of the firm's rapid growth.

I was in NYC a couple of years ago and stopped by their pop-up shop. Presentation was simple, but impressive.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of crazy. I remember when he started out, and he just sold a couple of black coats out of his attic in Stockholm. Can't believe it got this big.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, Stutterheim's numbers are impressive. From the BBC:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/discussions-about-the-fashion-industry-thread.540063/page-51

Excerpt:

I was in NYC a couple of years ago and stopped by their pop-up shop. Presentation was simple, but impressive.

That's all good, I enjoy finding new brands. Especially Scandi ones! But their website needs work. I can't read it!

s.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kind of interesting. Via Leanluxe, a snippet on Hero

Hero is making a big impact in retail. They're partnering with brands like J.Crew, Ted Baker, and John Varvatos to transform their in-store teams into armies of connected guides who can sell, serve, and earn online––just like they do in-store. These associates are using Hero’s technology to build relationships with shoppers over chat and video, offering tailored tips and recommendations live from the shop floor––no matter where shoppers happen to be. This is an entirely new way for retailers to engage with online customers, and it's redefining the role of the physical store as a catalyst for digital growth. This is one thing Amazon can’t do––and it may just be the future of retail.

http://www.usehero.com/

Seems really simple, but also something potentially useful for many stores

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of interesting. Via Leanluxe, a snippet on Hero

http://www.usehero.com/

Seems really simple, but also something potentially useful for many stores
Isn't this like a more useful version of course those live chats? What drives me crazy is when that chat people are not in the store and can't answer basic, but specific, questions about products, like "Does the lining extend into the arms?" or "is the material stiff or drapey?". I don't need help im basic reading comprehension, usually.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Via WWD:

Dries Said Seeking Buyer
Sources say Vendôme Global Partners has been tapped to bring in an investor.

Dries Van Noten might be about to join the designer dealmaking game. Multiple sources said the Belgian designer hired Elsa Berry’s Vendôme Global Partners to bring in an investor. It is understood a number of discussions have taken place in recent weeks with a variety of potential partners.

The likelihood of a deal could not immediately be learned, but the brand
is apt to attract broad interest given its cachet, rarity and business potential.

Representatives for the designer and Berry did not respond to requests for
comment. Like many Belgian designers, Van Noten has resisted most of the common paths to growth, forgoing pre-collections, advertising, celebrity dressing and a handbag push — although he enjoys a substantial following for his footwear.

“Our business doesn’t have to grow every year a huge amount like when you
are a part of a big group,” he said in a 2013 interview. “I don’t need to have a
store in every city. It’s a luxury that I can say I just want to continue the way thatwe are doing…to be creative and be busy with things I really love and not be forced to do all the bags and the shoes and the sunglasses and things like that.”

He also doesn’t make fragrances, another cash cow for luxury brands, though his perfumer friend Frédéric Malle did the first in his series of “portrait”
scents of Van Noten.

That professional prudence might leave the designer in good stead as he seeks to bring in an investor. Private equity companies, in particular, look for brands that have established themselves and proven they can work in multiple geographies, but still have plenty of room for expansion. One source estimates the size of Van Noten’s business — which is hinged mainly on ready-to-wear for women and men, and wholesale distribution — south of $100 million.

and it goes on.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't this like a more useful version of course those live chats? What drives me crazy is when that chat people are not in the store and can't answer basic, but specific, questions about products, like "Does the lining extend into the arms?" or "is the material stiff or drapey?". I don't need help im basic reading comprehension, usually.

Well it’s a bit like your favorite RL SA who would take picture and show you what’s new and what you might like, just do it in scale this time I suppose. Might be hard to support without dedicate staff, imagine the online crowd will be constantly ask questions and expecting almost immediate answer.

happyriverz

Reaction score
Via WWD:

Dries Said Seeking Buyer
Sources say Vendôme Global Partners has been tapped to bring in an investor.

Dries Van Noten might be about to join the designer dealmaking game. Multiple sources said the Belgian designer hired Elsa Berry’s Vendôme Global Partners to bring in an investor. It is understood a number of discussions have taken place in recent weeks with a variety of potential partners.

The likelihood of a deal could not immediately be learned, but the brand
is apt to attract broad interest given its cachet, rarity and business potential.

Representatives for the designer and Berry did not respond to requests for
comment. Like many Belgian designers, Van Noten has resisted most of the common paths to growth, forgoing pre-collections, advertising, celebrity dressing and a handbag push — although he enjoys a substantial following for his footwear.

“Our business doesn’t have to grow every year a huge amount like when you
are a part of a big group,” he said in a 2013 interview. “I don’t need to have a
store in every city. It’s a luxury that I can say I just want to continue the way thatwe are doing…to be creative and be busy with things I really love and not be forced to do all the bags and the shoes and the sunglasses and things like that.”

He also doesn’t make fragrances, another cash cow for luxury brands, though his perfumer friend Frédéric Malle did the first in his series of “portrait”
scents of Van Noten.

That professional prudence might leave the designer in good stead as he seeks to bring in an investor. Private equity companies, in particular, look for brands that have established themselves and proven they can work in multiple geographies, but still have plenty of room for expansion. One source estimates the size of Van Noten’s business — which is hinged mainly on ready-to-wear for women and men, and wholesale distribution — south of $100 million.

and it goes on.

****, I hope DVN does not get the PE treatment

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s hard to imagine Dries doing anything he doesn’t want to do at this point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads