• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
given where px is and what repair cost it's always "hard to justify", I mean just look at shoes, you can buy CJ for like $500? and spend $130? to resole? then if you end up buying 2nd hand it's like sub $250..., though I topy everything so...

when I repair things it's mostly for sentimental value, I have tried to do long sleeve to short sleeve on shirts with elbow blow out but they usually never end up as summer casual shirt because the fabric everything is dress shirt to start with...
I repair dress shoes and tailoring regularly. Shirts and ties get tossed if they are unserviceable.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think I ever have to repair my jacket (finger crossed), shoes just topy everything so re-topy again is cheap.

trouser is one I wear to blow out then just toss (though some do get pretty bad like completely fray hem plus some other blow out), shirt also toss

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
given where px is and what repair cost it's always "hard to justify", I mean just look at shoes, you can buy CJ for like $500? and spend $130? to resole? then if you end up buying 2nd hand it's like sub $250..., though I topy everything so...

when I repair things it's mostly for sentimental value, I have tried to do long sleeve to short sleeve on shirts with elbow blow out but they usually never end up as summer casual shirt because the fabric everything is dress shirt to start with...
I would be inclined to repair something for sentimental value or because I just really liked the item.

however I suspect many folks in this forum will never need a resole, topy or not

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i walk decent amount (say about 900 miles a year) if I don’t topy I would resole even with my rotation (~25). Toe and heel would definitely worn out even if the rest of the sole is fine. Reapply topy is relative cheap, metal toe tip has gotten round but I have never thought about replace them though…

blacklight

Reaction score

It is very much like Grailed; all decorum and decency very quickly goes out the window when you are dealing with hyped gear, and they do not seem particularly spirited about resolving their fakes issue.

At this point I wouldn't buy anything from StockX unless I so loved the shoe I'd be OK knowing I might be wearing a replica.

Last edited:

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting how many NFT and Blockchain tied concepts sustain themselves through what looks to be a levelling off of public interest.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It will be interesting how many NFT and Blockchain tied concepts sustain themselves through what looks to be a levelling off of public interest.

It was a slow motion pump and dump so hopefully none. I mean I could see new ones arising that ARE useful, having to do with transferring money and financing groups that are often persecuted by mainstream interests (i.e. Pro-Palestinian groups are a typical example) but we're not talking about a mainstream activity of volatile investment (securities mascarading as money or other assets to avoid regulation).

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
IMG_7992 2.jpg

I got served an ad for this yesterday on Instagram. It's a sneaker rental company that works (I believe) like early Netflix. You get 1 to 3 rental shoes at a time, and continually swap them out.

https://www.kyx.world/signup/plans

The ad was a video with the guy above speaking. Not sure I've seen anyone be so clinical, practical, and humorless about "fashion." Dude was talking with cold logic about how renting a lot of rare sneakers is "more of a flex" than owning just a few. We might need to get a more official definition of "flex" to properly evaluate that statement.

Maybe this is a workable business model? Who knows.

And I'm not sure what to say about his Master P 90's hip-hop shirt of Elon Musk.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1792424

I got served an ad for this yesterday on Instagram. It's a sneaker rental company that works (I believe) like early Netflix. You get 1 to 3 rental shoes at a time, and continually swap them out.

https://www.kyx.world/signup/plans

The ad was a video with the guy above speaking. Not sure I've seen anyone be so clinical, practical, and humorless about "fashion." Dude was talking with cold logic about how renting a lot of rare sneakers is "more of a flex" than owning just a few. We might need to get a more official definition of "flex" to properly evaluate that statement.

Maybe this is a workable business model? Who knows.

And I'm not sure what to say about his Master P 90's hip-hop shirt of Elon Musk.

This thread, August 2019 :

Given the success of grailed and stockx, I actually think that young consumers of streetwear/sneakerheads could be the prime target for a rental business. One could walk around in the latest Nike/off-white a couple of times to feel cool and validated, then move on to another style. Can always say they sold it on stockx if anyone asks. Same for an expensive Gucci or Visvim garment, whatever the current celebrity fad is.

I'd imagine a platform like stockx to be perfect for that too because of the supply/demand clearing mechanism that optimizes utility for the lessor and lessee, and that they already invested in processes for authentication/checks.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This thread, August 2019 :

Wait, is this secretly your business and you didn't tell any of us!?!?

I have to watch that video again and see if you're in the background wearing Yeezy Boosts and screen printing a fresh t-shirt of a shirtless Jeff Bezos with every tattoo from Tupac Shakur.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish. I think that with the right funding and management, this is a unicorn business. Execution - pricing, operations management, supply costs, etc... - is the hardest part. But it makes absolute total sense to me as I see the cycle of hype in the sneaker world. There is a noticeable mismatch between what sneakerheads want to have/wear and what they can afford to own.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We already know there are lots of people who will buy stuff to flex once on IG then immediately resell. This kind of gets right to the very cynical core of social media flex culture. How will logistics work though....supposing they get 5 or 6 figures worth of users, that community will basically all want the same shoe for the same 2 weeks when it is hot. It is impossible for them to have enough stock on hand to please a community where the whole appeal is "nobody else has these."

I must not be a sneaker head because the idea of spending up to 4k a year to end up not owning a single shoe sounds crazy to me.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there that much of a mismatch though? Seems sneaker heads have no trouble acquiring and wearing the latest or trendiest things without having to rent. Clearly, this is only an anedotcal, unscientific observation.

$1,200 Dior sneakers, LV, and others appear to fly out of stores like Saks, BG, etc. Largely in cash sales.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads