• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought you can get BC at under $2k easy, their target audience might not do that, but SFer got to be doing that every day…

all the bespoke I want to try are really expensive these days (Cifonelli, Michael Browne), stick with my RTW on sale strategy …

I don't have an opinion on whether any specific person should buy Cucinelli or Loro Piana. If someone likes this stuff, they should enjoy it. I think this convo started when Blake asked what's the appeal of those brands. Since this is the fashion industry thread, I assume we're talking about people shopping at nearly full retail prices (or, at least, not heavily discounted clothes on eBay).

For people who are sustaining Cucinelli or Loro Piana as clothing companies, I don't understand why they don't go for something else. But to answer Blake's question, I think the value exists outside of the objects themselves -- it's in the marketing, the branding, the identity, the dream, the idea of superlative quality (even if these are just machine-made clothes), etc.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zegna xxx couture line? or what line? Because I've found Brioni to be way better than Zegna's top line.

As for LP, their linen is great as well, have quite a few shirts both from LP themselves and from local tailors using their fabric.

BC is a waste of money, nothing interesting or really even nice for that price point. Maybe it's down to differences of tastes, I don't know.
Brioni may be qualitatively excellent but many of their cuts do not work that well for me. I great prefer Zegna’s Milano cut.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean "don't bother with their non-cashmere fabrics?" Their fabrics seem nice to me. J. Crew, De Bonne Facture, and The Armoury all use LP fabrics and they occupy different price points. They also seem to make good products with those materials.
Oh yeah, their fabrics are excellent. I have lots. Just commenting on the LP stuff in their stores. Seems nice but seriously overpriced. Plenty of decent stuff elsewhere. If shopping there might as well Shoot the Moon and grab the best cashmere.

Last edited:

AunToni

Reaction score
Brioni may be qualitatively excellent but many of their cuts do not work that well for me. I great prefer Zegna’s Milano cut.
By that you mean you prefer a suit with a slimmer fit? Fair enough.

AunToni

Reaction score
I don't have an opinion on whether any specific person should buy Cucinelli or Loro Piana. If someone likes this stuff, they should enjoy it. I think this convo started when Blake asked what's the appeal of those brands. Since this is the fashion industry thread, I assume we're talking about people shopping at nearly full retail prices (or, at least, not heavily discounted clothes on eBay).

For people who are sustaining Cucinelli or Loro Piana as clothing companies, I don't understand why they don't go for something else. But to answer Blake's question, I think the value exists outside of the objects themselves -- it's in the marketing, the branding, the identity, the dream, the idea of superlative quality (even if these are just machine-made clothes), etc.
"Sign-value" to quote Baudrillard.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Cucinelli is for men who think having cargo pockets on their chinos and a two day beard gives them a rakish quality women swoon over and men envy. Loro piana is for rich old men dressed by their wives (who all happen to have the exact same shade of blond hair).

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I would pay LP prices sooner than I would spend $300 on a pair of jeans or >$100 on a T-shirt.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think I would pay LP prices sooner than I would spend $300 on a pair of jeans or >$100 on a T-shirt.

What are you going to do in this case?

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.50.05 AM.png

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxury is a magic ingredient that can push the market value of an item far beyond other items that may have the same form and function. It does so with little environmental impact above substitute products and as such creates more value as shown through economic capture in the market for the raw resources used. Expensive luxury goods are morally superior because of this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads