• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

takashi78

Reaction score
Sorry late to the party but i don't think outside of us "in the know" would care who the newest designer for JCrew is.
Although i like the idea of it potentially shifting to a more sustainable brand one way or another.

But then again, has any impact been made yet with Michael Bastian at the helm of Brooks Brothers?
Why not much discussion on this?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
has there been a BB collection by Michael Bastian yet?

xeoniq

Reaction score
Barely industry related but didn't know where else to post it. I hosted an abridged version of a Japanese fashion school student's M.A. 1st year project on my blog. I found the process from idea to finished multimedia representing the garments quite interesting, as a layman; and hopefully we might see something on the market from him in the future. Thought some people here might enjoy it as I did.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside, I used to love Wallace and Barnes, and still kind of do. I recently bought a very basic long-sleeved t-shirt from them and dig it, but ... it's just a long-sleeved tee. Before that, I bought a sweatshirt last year.

The whole line feels like it has become more and more generic. When they first revamped J. Crew, they gave Wallace & Barnes a very cool British canoe smock. I thought it was awesome -- like something you'd expect from a niche Japanese brand, but a bit more affordable and widely available.

Now, it's like: slim chinos, garment-dyed sport shirt, the same work jacket in four colors, some bandanas, sweatshirts, and some long-sleeved tees. The thing feels phoned-in.

I hope they give the line some new life.
Agreed, WB gave us the selvage chino and made it at least something to think about if not purchase. we got cool smocks and serious flannels and interesting shirts, I have a few WB rip stop printed shorts from a few years ago that are very cool and super unique. Even the tubular made in LA t’s are now gone. It’s a bummer and I hope there is some new versions of that old version that comes back.

vanmosh

Reaction score
In regard to Babenzien at J.Crew, he's only the men's CD, right? My understanding is that in terms of revenue, men's is a much smaller piece of the pie compared to women's (just look at the total SKUs), so not sure how much he would be able to affect the entire company overall, a sub-line would seem like the best bet to pilot what he could do. Sort of related, but not really, I feel like Todd Snyder uses a lot of the same manufacturers from his J.Crew days but the higher price point seems to shield them from any questions about their "sustainability".

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone seen his wife’s IG post announcing the appointment? The language there is a bit like they picked him for his values and he’s going to change the industry for the better.

Edit - prob better to quote rather than paraphrase :

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen his wife’s IG post announcing the appointment? The language there is a bit like they picked him for his values and he’s going to change the industry for the better.

Edit - prob better to quote rather than paraphrase :

Happy for him and Estelle. Cool folks

cb200

Reaction score
Coming out of a pandemic with a new focus is probably a great tactic for a brand like J.Crew... or any brand that's made it through the past year and a bit.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
The whole line feels like it has become more and more generic. When they first revamped J. Crew, they gave Wallace & Barnes a very cool British canoe smock. I thought it was awesome -- like something you'd expect from a niche Japanese brand, but a bit more affordable and widely available.
I keep checking J-crew website to see if they have the Canoeist Smock available.

EDIT: Brendon, if you are reading this: Please bring the Canoeist Smock Again! Thanks!

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's happening on the business end of Ann D? I am getting absolutely bombarded with social media stuff from them, and for a brand that's been so quiet in their own online presence it's very jarring.

They're pushing a new archive collection hard.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m curious if that makes it less desirable for you, or if you’re more likely to take notice and browse the collection?

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely taken notice, but Ann D has never really been within my budget/aesthetic wheelhouse so it was more out of curiosity since I knew Meunier left last year. Wouldn't say it made it less desirable in any case, but I think that on some level comes down to if you manage to do a campaign like this while still feeling in line with the overall brand. I suppose the focus on the archive collection made it feel less like a marketing push and more like a "walk down a brands memory lane".

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.