Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 30, 2017.

1. NGOStudio

NGOStudio Senior member

I believe while onlinr shopping is extremely convenient, it won't be enough to provide the immersive experience
    Did you mean the one near Harvard? Been there, nothing really wows me except the attitude. And I'm definitely not the type of audience anyway. But the history of that shop is rather interesting: http://www.ivy-style.com/a-league-of-his-own-the-andover-shops-charlie-davidson.html

And the TripAdvisor effect is very common these days, if not getting worse. Like when I helped my friend to manage his place through Airbnb, we got into some misunderstandings with a lady, then she came back with a horrible and fictious review such as someone on drug had threaten to kill her xyz. The funniest thing was that 2 other women stayed before her while I did not hear from, also jumped on and write reviews mentioning similar things the day after. I checked the cameras and most of their saying were fictional. The platform refused to do anything except letting me to write my responses. It's very strange that certain people are expecting a lot with $40/night, particularly those last minute guests. My friend eventually decided to close down his place and used a management company. While he earns a bit less, the overall cost to consumer certainly has gone up. I also have interesting cs experience dealing with different ethnic groups but it's another story.

2. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

that's also probably the reason why I don't want to interact with SA, I'm browsing most of the time and I don't want to waste anyone's time on a sale that won't happen. If I want something I'll tell the SA right away.

3. IJReilly

IJReilly Senior member

At this point I'm on a first name basis with at least one person in each store I shop in. Unfortunately this means that every time I go in I have to be social, and feel a bit pressured to buy stuff and a bit embarrassed at how unsure I can be about whether I want something or not (I am a notoriously slow decision maker when it comes to clothes because I hate having things I don't use regularly). Ironically these social relationships have driven me to online shopping, where I can also take my time in deciding whether or not I want to keep something. Still always buy tailoring from people I know well though.

4. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

+1

5. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Guys, you need to learn how to manage relationships. As mentioned, I do the bulk of my shopping in-store and have relationships with salespeople in the critical stores in my area. The salespeople know how I shop so sometimes when I stop in just to look, I make that clear after exchanging pleasantries. This way I am not taking time away from commission generating opportunities elsewhere. They also know I will be back to buy and buy from them when I am ready. So there is no pressure or uncomfortable circumstances.

The rewards pay off when I am ready to buy. I get and rely on their expert advice and customer service. And when sales break, I get the text in advance. If I can't make it in right away for sale, it is always reassuring to get the reply that don't worry, they put the things I was interested in on the side. Contrast that to shopping the Mr. Porter sale.

6. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

yea, but I don't get how I'm getting any "value" from SA, I could do that as random average joe that goes to Paul Stuart/Brooks Brothers/Bergdorf Goodman (or somehow they don't think I'm average joe).

I have no problem knowing what's on sale (and when) or getting some item on hold without any particular relationship. I also tell them I'm just browsing and they do get the cue, but once you know someone on first name basis you kind feel a bit like a friend instead of doing things on transactions basis.

7. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

You may not get any value from them and that's fine. But also you may not know fully what value you can get either.

It does not matter to me one way of the other. I know what works for me and I suppose I am one of the few here that values and benefits from working with excellent salespeople.

8. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

What makes them "excellent" though?
    The fact they give you a heads up on sales and hold stuff without you asking?

9. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

No, those were just examples I thought would resonate on SF. I will comment more later.

10. IJReilly

IJReilly Senior member

SAs provide value to me, especially the ones which get my taste and direct me to items of interest. It's also great to just spend some time with nice people in beautiful stores during your lunch hour. But there are definitely downsides to these closer relationships as well, because sometimes I just want to be invisible and browse and try on a bunch of stuff. And I kind of feel bad when I cease shopping at certain places because I already own a lot of what they offer or have moved on to different things ("hey where have you been in the last year?"). Maybe I'm just socially awkward. :(

Edit: as an example of SA value, I have this one guy who understands how I like my tailoring to fit (somewhat fuller than what has been the fashion in Stockholm the last few years). I get way better results when he helps my find the right size from which to do alterations than when I choose myself and go to the tailor.

I did get one of those sales alerts from one guy I had never met before after giving him travel tips for Japan. Ended up getting 30 percent off a Mackintosh the next day.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

For the local SA relationships I have, I find that adds to the fun of the hobby. It's not about being able to get a heads up on a sale or having someone hold something for you, it's that genuine relationships are satisfying. I wouldn't want that person emailing me all the time to hang out, but forming a friendship with someone over a shared interest is nice.

There's an old Marxist critique about how capitalism breaks human bonds and turns everything into a transaction, which is alienating.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Yea but I want my friend to do well, which to me means buy from him, hard to do when I have no interest on the brand he works for anymore...

13. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

i've had some nice geeky conversations about clothes with SAs but i think my favourite in-person shopping experience is the Nordstrom sale rack because i like being left alone to look at a lot of fancy clothes

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

A lot of people probably already know, but if you shop frequently at a boutique and don't work consistently with the same person (or mention their name when you walk in) things get really "fun" on the back end with regards to commission etc. Nobody wants to spend 1 hour dealing with a Stylefarmer trying on 234982348 things and hemming and hawing over a purchase only to find out it's someone else's client and they might not even get the commission for the sale. This is probably most relevant to SW&D.

On a related note, it's depressing to see people try things on just to take selfies and then leave.

As far as "tangible" perks, it's nice to know about inventory for certain items and a heads up regarding sale or price changes.

SA's 100% profile customers and keep a running list of time wasters, annoying people, serial exchangers, etc.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This comprises about 50% of the small talk - "Oh, you would not believe who walked in here the other day..."