• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah minimums is a challenge both on the factory side as well as on the fabric procurement side. As well is amortizing product design and development costs for product are going to eat away at margins with a smaller number of units produced.

* I'm thinking this is a big issue for smaller retailers looking to duplicate a Haven type private label or small "colab" run.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I would agree with all of that. I should add that, having been part of this myself, not as far back as Supreme, obviously, but in the mid 2000s, when things started to blow up) that the low quantities and out of season drops were not by design, but a happy accident built of a combination of lack of funds and taking advantage of out of season production. The factories were all occupied making things for big brands in time for in season delivery, so we did production in the off season, and made only enough to cover the minimums (often negotiated down) because anything over say, 50 units, to sell to an untested market, seemed foolhardy and a great way to go broke and be left with 150 pairs of jeans or jackets or whatever.

I think that a sterling sliver carabiner to wear on your belt or belt loop, like we did back in the 90s, to carry keys, but with an optional wallet/watch/compass chain that could be clippped on or slipped on, would be a cool collaboration. It's actually something that I would use, and aside from oranmentation (which is is), I can think of several ways it could be used/worn as well. I have a few designs sketched out, Haven has great points of distribution complementary and distinct from Good Art's, and we all have pretty decent marketing infrastructures with slightly overlapping audiences. To me, that's a pretty decent bet.

thats a terrible idea dawg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
you ain't a biness man

Phrost

Reaction score
Yeah can’t see too many people buy an expensive ornamental carabiner.

If you slap Supreme on it though...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

they're not all carabiners, but there are a ton of "luxury end" hooks for holding your keys on your belt loop.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you paying attention to streetwear and brands like Givenchy, Martine Ali, Random Identities, all the clips that Good Art themselves do? Carabiners and luxury versions of functional items are pretty popular right now.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
let us know how it goes for you

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should add that, having been part of this myself, not as far back as Supreme, obviously, but in the mid 2000s, when things started to blow up) that the low quantities and out of season drops were not by design, but a happy accident built of a combination of lack of funds and taking advantage of out of season production.

Dude how are you building sentences.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i will only buy a styleforum carabiner if it's made from recycled quilts by bode

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting piece in NYT on Direct to Consumer disrupters. Not about clothes but certainly applicable.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the NYT piece, this rings true. “It’s never been cheaper to start a business, although I think it’s never been harder to scale a business,”. I believe in the ability to build small / midsize brands today in apparel strictly DTC. But growth will prove to be the biggest challenge. Lots of nice businesses can be built but they may be modest in scale. Biggest challenge is and will be gaining attention and engaging an audience, the big super brands have the biggest share of attention and can afford to provide and service customers with experience and marketing at a level that's hard for smaller budgets.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the nose

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads