• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotta disagree here. It's a one stop to browse a lot of brands if you don't want to trek around. I don't want to goto lower soho to check the Rick store, then chelsea to see CDG, then go from west wide to east side to see Supreme or whatever. The wife likes the fact they stock a lot of small Japanese jewelry brands that don't have distro elsewhere in NYC. DSM was also the place where I was first able to handle smaller brands like Palm Angels, AColdWall, etc, in person. The cafe also stocks the beer lao dark that I like.

I think if you like a few brands and have your relationships and pick ups already at max efficiency at those stores that experience is for you. If you like to browse and want to see some surprises time to time places like DSM and Totokaelo fill a good a niche for that.
totokaelo has a great selection but DSM seems geared towards those with a lot of money and no taste or personal style but who make instagram flip books of ****** streetwear

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotta disagree here. It's a one stop to browse a lot of brands if you don't want to trek around. I don't want to goto lower soho to check the Rick store, then chelsea to see CDG, then go from west wide to east side to see Supreme or whatever. The wife likes the fact they stock a lot of small Japanese jewelry brands that don't have distro elsewhere in NYC. DSM was also the place where I was first able to handle smaller brands like Palm Angels, AColdWall, etc, in person. The cafe also stocks the beer lao dark that I like.

I think if you like a few brands and have your relationships and pick ups already at max efficiency at those stores that experience is for you. If you like to browse and want to see some surprises time to time places like DSM and Totokaelo fill a good a niche for that.
yeah as said I am a strange case, I go to nepenthes, rick and MMM and nowhere else. otherwise I buy at ssense or totokaelo online.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regarding Amazon only, it is NOT possible to filter out the Chinese crapola because Amazon warehouses it here in the States and lots of it is Prime eligible. Once the Chinese learn to get rid of the nonsensical Engrish brand names, it'll be nearly impossible to differentiate online, since gaming reviews is so common.

Edit- Any time I'm prepared to buy something on Amazon, I cross-shop on eBay, where 70-80% of the time I can find it cheaper. Then it becomes a matter of whether I need it tomorrow, or if I can wait a week. Amazon is smart- for years and years they were the cheapest. Now there not, and I assume many of us just go on assuming they are.

try to convince my wife to buy from eBay without free return policies...

edit just did a search for the stuff I buy (80% kids related, 10% household, 5% cooking related, then other random), Amazon is still cheaper or I’m ok with the differential ($5) given prime

Ps I guess 80% of the stuff I buy from Amazon is recurring item, so it’s all brand name to start with, thus I don’t run the issue to start.

The only two recent random stuff I bought is a small screw driver set for glasses and a vent based cell phone holder, on the second one I definitely knew it’s pricier by like $2 but it was next day delivery...

Last edited:

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'd actually love to know how many brand flagships in NYC are actually profitable vs a cost of doing business or a necessary evil.
I know people who live and own real estate there
the Landlord of the Acne store is my former Boss at Jon Asche.
I know the owners of several buildings on Grand. Most of them do not make money and this is a known fact, but Big brands who can afford that loss will have the store in NY because of the prfile it brings and the access to clients.
When Ralph Lauren closed his Polo store on 5th, rent being too high was a reason he gave

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think that 5th ave location for polo is still empty today

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Amazon only, it is NOT possible to filter out the Chinese crapola because Amazon warehouses it here in the States and lots of it is Prime eligible. Once the Chinese learn to get rid of the nonsensical Engrish brand names, it'll be nearly impossible to differentiate online, since gaming reviews is so common.

Edit- Any time I'm prepared to buy something on Amazon, I cross-shop on eBay, where 70-80% of the time I can find it cheaper. Then it becomes a matter of whether I need it tomorrow, or if I can wait a week. Amazon is smart- for years and years they were the cheapest. Now there not, and I assume many of us just go on assuming they are.

Amazon is no longer the cheapest. You can find cheaper elsewhere
I haven’t been to Berlin in a long time for the short amount time I was there I like it but felt I wouldn’t want to call it home for whatever reason (this was back in 2012?, still a ton of development but also a ton of under ground “scene”)

LOL. Berlin is not a place to bring up kids you mean? It’s far cooler and way more accepting. Love the city.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get the cheapest prices and fastest delivery by just maintaining a sweatshop on my head

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh yeah, I've been noticing a lot that when I actually do price research, Amazon isn't the cheapest at all. This is especially true for food/kitchen stuff, although that may just be me noticing because it's a category I buy a lot of.

Also to your point about cross-shopping on ebay...I find it funny how many times I buy something on ebay and it arrives in an Amazon box.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yet, it seems eminently reasonable to ask whether part of the reason that consumers love many of these brands is because their prices are artificially low and/or the service and product benefits that are built into the business model are over-engineered relative to the prospect of ever earning a decent return at the scale at which these brands need to grow. Importantly, their marketing costs are often alarmingly (insanely?) high, suggesting that they are over-investing in customer acquisition and retention.

Retail Apocalypse? Maybe It’s Time To Worry About A Disruptor Meltdown?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, keep use them until capital market wake up...

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have watched the Real/Fake thread for a while and have come to the conclusion that I don't have any interest in the clothing that might be counterfeited.

I guess that makes me pretentious, but not ostentatious? Or maybe I'm just better than other people in a very humble way? Modest? I should probably work through this with some small-batch craft beer, a cheese board and some Bon Iver.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have watched the Real/Fake thread for a while and have come to the conclusion that I don't have any interest in the clothing that might be counterfeited.

I guess that makes me pretentious, but not ostentatious? Or maybe I'm just better than other people in a very humble way? Modest? I should probably work through this with some small-batch craft beer, a cheese board and some Bon Iver.
You likely do not bother with the high-end brands that also appeal to the masses and are likely to be pirated.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel very artisanal. I always think art-is-anal when I type that word. I'm definitely woke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads