• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So Alpha Romeo will never be Mercedes quality or durability wise, but boy is it pleasure to load onto the tow truck and see every morning when you wake up and have to drive to work :)

FTFY

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting contrasts in there - particularly between not feeling the need to be part of NYFW yet doing 10 drops a year (seriously, I would be happy not to hear that word for the rest of 2019).

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Urban outfitters looks to be rolling out a rental / membership program that allows you to rent 6 pieces including vintage for $80 a month. Interesting move for a retailer to get into the rental business. It's not for me, but perhaps their customer base will jump at the rental offer.

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
Urban outfitters looks to be rolling out a rental / membership program that allows you to rent 6 pieces including vintage for $80 a month. Interesting move for a retailer to get into the rental business. It's not for me, but perhaps their customer base will jump at the rental offer.
I don't fully understand how this works financially for urban outfitters. $88 is not a lot of money. It's a lot of work to process returns and inspect/clean/etc. Those garments, especially if trend driven, don't have a long life-cycle. I guess they'll make their money on the people who don't use it often and the people who don't return the garments (kind of like how gyms make money on the people who never come).

But I'm reading more brands are starting this type service. And there's the brands that are asking customers for used garments, for credit on new purchases. I don't know how much of this is experience marketing or if times are really changing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't fully understand how this works financially for urban outfitters. $88 is not a lot of money. It's a lot of work to process returns and inspect/clean/etc. Those garments, especially if trend driven, don't have a long life-cycle. I guess they'll make their money on the people who don't use it often and the people who don't return the garments (kind of like how gyms make money on the people who never come).

But I'm reading more brands are starting this type service. And there's the brands that are asking customers for used garments, for credit on new purchases. I don't know how much of this is experience marketing or if times are really changing.

I suspect that it just increases customer engagement with the brand, sort of how having an app does. They may advertise keeping the garment as less of a penalty and more of a "Keep it for $x" like Redbox. Maybe removing uncertainty about sizing make consumers more willing to engage with brands that they haven't tried before. Maybe just getting them to regularly interact with rentals increases their overall spending in general.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd expect churn would be a big factor on rentals. Getting new members has to have a cost and getting a lifetime value out of them might take a while. First customers would be easier to attract while later ones I'd expect to take more to reach or win over.

Regardless, the retailers with the resources to make bets on innovation are doing so. Like... https://www.amazon.com/thedrop

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that it just increases customer engagement with the brand, sort of how having an app does. They may advertise keeping the garment as less of a penalty and more of a "Keep it for $x" like Redbox. Maybe removing uncertainty about sizing make consumers more willing to engage with brands that they haven't tried before. Maybe just getting them to regularly interact with rentals increases their overall spending in general.
I'm guessing that it's all of the above, and if they end up a bit in the black it's a bonus, and if a bit in the red, then it's part of the cost of marketing. I'm not their target audience, and I've little knowledge of consumer habits in their age group and income range, but I can't imagine taking the time to return rentals unless it was really, really, easy, like it is for YNAP companies, but that probably varies greatly with age and income.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh. Didn't have a very long tenure. Interesting read.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads