• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna ummmm.... be carrying my kid’s diapers, wet bag and milk powder in that and wander backpack.

(I liked the diagonal zip that’s why I bought it - easier access and all)

And wander diaper bag @g transistor

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna ummmm.... be carrying my kid’s diapers, wet bag and milk powder in that and wander backpack.

(I liked the diagonal zip that’s why I bought it - easier access and all)

And wander diaper bag @g transistor

When my son was born, pastel flowers were all the rage for diaper bags. I went and bought a Brady fishing creel bag. Lined in rubber it was ideal for diapers, bottles, etc....

brady-fishing-bag-dart.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you do like krav maga or something but everyone needs functionality and looks.
I use my outdoor gear for multiday, even multi-week hikes. I end up with stuff like Northface because functionality is paramount, but I'd be happy to pay a premium for nicer looking gear, like that from and Wander, if it were as durable. Incidentally, the same goes for gis. The ones that in wear for training and competition are the most functional, and I have been interesting looking ones that I'll wear for teaching, but that I know would put me at a strategic disadvantage for actual sparring.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use my outdoor gear for multiday, even multi-week hikes. I end up with stuff like Northface because functionality is paramount, but I'd be happy to pay a premium for nicer looking gear, like that from and Wander, if it were as durable. Incidentally, the same goes for gis. The ones that in wear for training and competition are the most functional, and I have been interesting looking ones that I'll wear for teaching, but that I know would put me at a strategic disadvantage for actual sparring.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see your situation as particularly unique. Every modern adult who has his **** together has a moderately active lifestyle.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see your situation as particularly unique. Every modern adult who has his **** together has a moderately active lifestyle.
Pm me if you really want to know, but yes, anyone who had met me knows that I am fairly unique.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy buying all this high-tech gear in the belief that when I am finally over-equipped to live an interesting and active lifestyle I may start to have one instead of just being a keyboard warrior.

Hasn't worked yet. Obviously means I need more, higher-tech stuff.

Legitimately curious about LA Guy's unique life, but primarily as motivation to get myself off ****** more.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to decathlon for functionality since I don’t always need the highest end goods. But again, they have proved to be quite good. Surpassing my expectations. Also being a European company, their design and colours are a lot more fashion-able than the average North American color palette.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you were fishing for that mma reference (!!) :hide:

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ones that in wear for training and competition are the most functional, and I have been interesting looking ones that I'll wear for teaching, but that I know would put me at a strategic disadvantage for actual sparring.

Interesting, why would you use a different gi for teaching? For looks? I found a Vulcan model which fit me just as well as my tailored CM-garments so I haven’t worn anything else on the mats for a decade.

I feel like there used to be a bigger variety in gis. People would wear either soft or stiff gis, different fabric weights and weaving techniques. Some guys would show up in what was more like a judo gi than the modern tight ones. Not the mention the aesthetic options, like like burning skulls and a few Brazilians flags. Had a buddy who started up again after ten years, and I laughed ****** off at his dates gi with all the patches and stuff.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, why would you use a different gi for teaching? For looks? I found a Vulcan model which fit me just as well as my tailored CM-garments so I haven’t worn anything else on the mats for a decade.

I feel like there used to be a bigger variety in gis. People would wear either soft or stiff gis, different fabric weights and weaving techniques. Some guys would show up in what was more like a judo gi than the modern tight ones. Not the mention the aesthetic options, like like burning skulls and a few Brazilians flags. Had a buddy who started up again after ten years, and I laughed ****** off at his dates gi with all the patches and stuff.

Hmmm I felt the other way. I first started in 2000, and got my blue belt, and then left for MMA. My original blue belt, which I found just a couple of weeks ago, is nearly pristine. There were only a few Brazilian companies and then Fuji back then. Then I trained for about a year with a small group, in about 2008, for about a year, until the internal politics became unbearable, and I never looked for a new gi during that period. I stopped again until mid 2016. One of the first things that I noticed were the incredible number of gi companies. After a lot of experimenting, I settled on Tatami estilo gis, which in an A2L fit me nearly perfectly out of the packaging. That gives you an idea of my size and weight category and body type, I imagine.

However, I liked a few Shoyoroll gis and Albino and Preto designs, and I got a few of those, and it took a few gis to get sizing down, plus, the sizing can be pretty inconsistent, as well as generally running pretty large. I have great Albino&Preto x Bodega indigo gi which I love, except that the pants are slightly tight and the jacket has lapels that are a bit too long, with a bit too much body, so that the lapels go straight across my neck, rather than a bit lower, down closer to my collarbone. I don't need to give my training partners more opportunities to choke me with my own lapels - the black belts get there plenty often anyway, and I'm in no hurry to make it easier for them to finish, so I only wear that, and another, similar fitted Shoyoroll (all black except for 2 patches on the arms and one on the leg) that I really like the fit of, but which have a fit that would definitely be a disadvantage in competition. When it's my turn to teach fundamentals, though, they look pretty cool.

The Tatami estilos, and the one super heavyweight Shoyoroll that I use for training and competitions, have stiff, thick, wide, collars that are a pain ********** to get grips on, and feel like sandpaper on the hands, and are fairly fitted through the arms and legs, with thick cuffs, so that getting pocket grips is just a bit harder. This is particularly useful since I like guard passing, and I don't need someone who has been watching too many Keenan Cornelius tutorial videos having firm grips. I would prefer to just strip them and go to work.

A decade huh? So you must be black belt or close. I'm hoping to make black belt in 10 years, but at 44, and with less ability and desire to train hard for more than three days a week, and with probably 5 solid training years under my belt, 6 including MMA grappling, I'd be happy to make black belt before I'm 50. It's gonna be a road. I'd describe myself as a very mediocre purple belt with some strengths, but also a ton of glaring holes that really need to be painfully remedied.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Just tossing this one up here, as we are launching a new dress sock collaboration with GlenClyde in Japan (producer of Chup Socks), in Merino wool. what's your favorite player at the moment for dress socks? Our guiding principles have been:

1. Durability: using the right blend of Merino wool and Nylon (currently at around 85% wool). Also learned that the rib construction plays a pivotal part in the design. We like to create a sock that one can wash in 40Cs.
  2. Comfort & Design: great fit and comfort, hand linked toes, in a modest understated color scheme
  3. Price: Price per pair will be around 20 USD, 3 pairs for around 50 USD
The sourcing is very important to us, which is why we decided to use certified non-mulsed wool, that is the most durable there is.

What's your take? We would love to provide them in two versions (over the calf, and mid calf) but we only have funding to do the mid-calf version for now. Maybe a kickstarter could be a viable option to produce two versions?

Attaching some photos that are from our most recent sample round. Feedback is highly appreciated!

20181230-DSCF8349.jpg
20181231-DSCF8662.jpg
20181230-DSCF8322.jpg

20181230-DSCF8293.jpg

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of over engineered and gore-tex I still remember when Arcteryx Veilance had the popup in NYC 3 years ago and they were giving out a fully taped seam, goretex garment bag to the first 20 ppl who bought the limited edition parka at that location. The parka was cool but damn that garment bag still haunts my dreams.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads