• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Event is used in Hoka footwear. I know I've seen it elsewhere, I just can't remember where.
I've seen Event fabrics used by the Japanese brand And Wander. They are a bit more on fashion side of the outdoor clothing market.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh yea, And Wander is really good for that kind of stuff. They had a backpack a while ago made from Cuben fiber, which I thought was really neat. One of the few companies that's bridging the gap between outdoor clothing performance gear and fashion.

and-wander-Cuben-Fiber-Backpack-2.jpg

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus also the Herno Laminar stuff, including trench coats, made from technical Goretex fabrics

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the few companies that's bridging the gap between outdoor clothing performance gear and fashion.

In North America it seems that technical outdoor brands are tied to some notion of authenticity and hard core users. Some slow changes over the last decade with Veilance, Burton, and Nike (or they just contract Errolson Hugh) and some TNF stuff in terms of moving in a fashion design. But compared to Japan and European brands it seems like NA is quite a conservative market. If you walk the floor at the Outdoor Retailer show you won't see much that will tell you what year, or decade, it is outside of some new fabric hangtags. I do think TNF could be making some moves as their new creative director Tim Hamilton has some CFDA nominations under his belt.

I guess you could argue that the brands Poler Gear and Cotopaxi are/were a bit different from the masses of outdoor brands. Both had a bit more fun and were aimed at "good enough" technology vs pushing some technical or performance boundary. Certainly not fashion but different enough from the the performance based companies. Business wise, Poler just filed for bankruptcy after their sales dropped significantly.

In the outdoor category, the most interesting business news I've seen is the talk of a buy out of Amer Sports (owner of Arcteryx and Solomon) by a consortium of Chinese parties and one particular North American investor... Chip Wilson founder of Lululemon. https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ind...ard-supports-sale-investor-group#.XDy2Ki3MxPs

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don’t really need more outwear otherwise Arc’teryx seem to fit the functional and look cool category

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is And Wander type stuff really suitable for say snowboarding?

Descente also had the John Elliott collaboration

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumping late into this discussion, I've been very impressed with Mission Workshop in the tech/fashion space this year. They've seriously stepped their game up. Most of what they do is a step back from the bleeding edge, but in designs that if anything look techy in the Deus Ex sense not the backcountry sense. (And even not so much the former anymore)

A few times this year, though, they've been among the first to use some of Polartec's new stuff (certain applications of Gold, if I recall, and a couple new shell fabrics), and they've got a bunch of proprietary MECTEX fabrics, too.

Definitely more toward the street side of things than the slope side of things, but given that I've heard people go backcountry in Outlier, I'm sure a lot of MW could work, too.

For truly functional stuff, I've personally never found a need to look at anybody besides Patagonia. If I'm in a truly functional space, I don't give a damn about looks, or at least will not tolerate any compromise in performance to favor them.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Separate question: Is there anything special about Yohji's Doc Martens collabs?

HVE05768-1_8552-copia.jpg

I know a lot of high-fashion collabs these days lead to really cool stuff. I love my Rick Owens Birks, which use way nicer leathers than Birkenstock would ever touch, and my Cabourn Danners with a novel silhouette. From what I've seen elsewhere, though, it seems like Yohji x Docs collabs are made in Vietnam, use standard Doc leathers, and usually just have one tiny manufacturing detail (like a couple extra eyelets on top, or using a new sole one season before it goes into widespread use) that distinguishes them from mainline Docs. And yet they're $1k retail.

Am I missing something, or is Yohji's brand that strong that he can demand that sort of markup?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i haven't handled those, but from photos, the leather looks like it's better quality than standard doc martens

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arc’teryx Veilance does a great job in bridging cold weather apparel with city style.

The Junya Watanabe x The North Face stuff is generally brilliant in design and function.

Agree Veilance has done a good job sticking to and building their own lane in the market. I think the building of the line/brand has been slow off the blocks as the traditional Arcteryx retail partners in the outdoors wouldn't have known what to do with the line. I expect to see Veilance only shops or pop-ups if the proposed buyout and going private happen.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no appreciable difference between eVent and Gore-tex. WM has been using it for like a decade.

Goretex and eVent in shoes/boots is a ******* nightmare. It never dries, it will eventually get wet (ALWAYS), you sweat a **** ton in it. Good lord it's a terrible thing to do and I wish places would stop. It's awesome the first week you use it.

Designer techwear (re: waterproofness) is stupid because the technology is just so unnecessary for walking to your office, and, you'll get wet eventually anyways. The best thing is an umbrella.

Where designer techwear should really focus on is warmth, comfort, durability, and the intersection of the three in a good design space (points if you can make it stop swish swishing). Don't care about "cooling" fabrics cause they never work well. Don't care about rain shells because Patagonia et al do it way better (though I do own a goretex WM rain jacket) and it's designed well enough that it can blend in if you want it to. Versus the "designed" techwear like Veilance or Acronym or Junya x NF you look like a clown most of the time if you don't have the full techwear look.

If you wear it for the way it looks, cool, and sometimes some cool functionality stuff comes out of it, but designer techwear is way bloated in price because of the completely irrelevant technology involved.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear Junya goretex stuff and buy any bit of it I can at the right price. Veilance too and I have something from Prada that looks technical but I have no idea if it is. I buy and wear all of this stuff because I like it. Staying dry is at best a secondary consideration.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks a lot more technical, of all the tech outwear the stuff I kept around are all RLBL actually

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads