• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussion on Resale Value

Jaggery

Reaction score
Grenadine ties seem to hold their value fairly well in a declining neckwear market. A combination of supply limitations, known/predictable entities, and enduring style? If you don't ordinarily wear ties, when you do, you wear grenadine?

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grenadine ties seem to hold their value fairly well in a declining neckwear market. A combination of supply limitations, known/predictable entities, and enduring style? If you don't ordinarily wear ties, when you do, you wear grenadine?
Grenadines go with practically any outfit, formal to casual. A great way to look classic or to tone down a "busy" suit or shirt.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Availablity has a lot to do with some items. Has anyone ever paid full retail for a pair of regular Levis? If they have, they're fools as they are always on sale somewhere. It becomes a lot less desirable to save a few bucks and get a used pair. But you can't wait for Macy's, Kohl's, or any other random retailer to have a sale on Gustin. Anyone wanting to try out a pair of Gustin has to pay a bigger percentage of the retail price on used pair to save any money OR the wait time for a particular item to be offered again.

Bespoke Barrister

Reaction score
yes it does, it comes down to the brand itself & wholesale prices & selling policies.
I can tell you, you can buy a Kiton Suits/Blazer, for xxx-xxx€ (starting for cashmere, silk, silk & cashmere etc.) above 14 micron, than Guanaca and then Vicuna. (Net prices). (Minimum Order Quantity 50 pcs). Lets Assume retail Kiton 5K€
2. Attolini, more expensive in wholesale (for me) starting at xxx€(net), retail I think 3,8K€?.
3. Tom Ford, I realy can't find a reasonable wholesaler, but i assume starting at xxx-xxx€ net, retail don't know , maybe 4K€?
--> Same goes w/ Kiton Pants, --> Stefano Ricci cost more on wholesale, but retail cheaper.

--> Some big names are trashing the market right now, and the brands don't care. Others do, so the prices are more up.

conclusion, not always the MSRP is the way to look.

Best

Group buy?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I find ties are often very discounted. It will not be immediately obvious because many sellers list them BIN at high prices. But for example, I really lowballed two best offers (international shipping being >$20) from two different sellers this year on ties with brands that whilst not SF-hyped 2018 favorites (like Cappelli, Drake's) are high quality, and to my surprise got both. Let's say for $5-10 when they retailed at $100+ new. Both were barely used.

Additionally, charity shop visits yield surprisingly good results, at least in Australia and the UK. I've even walked away with bags of ties costed at $4/kg, containing Hermes, Drake's and other high end names. Even if only 10% are usable, that's a fraction of MSRP again. My attempts to thrift in Singapore were met with polyester horrors, stained, for >$30 apiece (no Vandas! nor do they ever show up on eBay, as with Hobers or H.N. Whites).

Grenadine is an interesting exception, as are bow ties and sober patterned ancient madder. These seem to retain their value better perhaps due to aforementioned scarcity. If I were building my tie collection anew today, grenadines would be substantially better represented. The same is true of very strong brands like Marinella, and sober patterns in general, particularly wedding-appropriate, from makers with good construction. Whilst I've seen a (slightly dirty) grey/white houndstooth from I think Turnbull & Asser at a charity shop in Chelsea for 2 pounds, it was very much the exception.

This strange difference in price which correlates with (my perceived) SF hype leads me to think people who eBay also Google and SF ranks high in results.

haloitsme

Reaction score
And on ebay are most of the time lowballer buyers, you realy cant make money there, some sellers sell below wholesale price...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads