• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussion on Resale Value

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
This is a discussion on the resale value of different brands, different categories, new or used

For example, shoes generally held its value better than suits. Value brands held its value better than luxurious brands with impeccable quality.

There are also some weird outliers, for example, Meermin 2nd on eBay sometimes is even higher than the retail price.

For used item, used Suitsupply suits resale value is usually higher than Samuelsohn, Canali, even higher than Isaia or Belvest in some cases.

Quesjac

Reaction score
For used item, used Suitsupply suits resale value is usually higher than Samuelsohn, Canali, even higher than Isaia or Belvest in some cases.

Supply and demand, Suit Supply has very successful marketing, and more people bid for their stuff. eBay in particular encourages you to search by brand name, so naturally brand recognition drives interest. (eg. there's an orphaned Cucinelli jacket right now on UK eBay at £100, obviously because it's Cucinelli and not because a used orphaned suit jacket 'holds its value'.)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The value is very simply what someone will pay. Features/fashion of an item will determine value as well.

BUT

Take a vintage suit, people here would be very unlikely to want to buy a suit from the 1930s - value little or nothing. Those who collect and wear such things may well pay a considerable amount for the same item. Has the garment held its value, no, does it appeal to a niche market, very much so.

bings

Reaction score
oh this is a great topic. I have a few points to offer as someone who buys a significant amount of non-retail items. Note 'non-retail' in that many things i buy on ebay for example are in fact NWT or NWOT and are therefore not used but are second-hand still.

I believe there are a number of factors that go into resale that generally fit into a category of predictability. With Brunello and Loro for example i find that there are many different fits to their garments that are difficult to ascertain from an ebay auction and so they can have a lower resale value even when measurements are provided. This is particularly true for suiting and outerwear. I could be a 48 or a 50 in Brunello suiting and a 50 or 52 in Loro cashmere sweaters. I really need to try them on to know for sure.

I've had more experience buying Tom Ford on-line and their fits tend to be more predictable except for pants. As such, i would pay a relatively higher % of MSRP for shirting and sport coats than i would for jeans or trousers from TF.

another thing that i think is relevant here is the retention of value for clothes and accessories. I find that Louis Vuitton, because there are so many fakes out there and because their post-purchase service is really not that great (neither is TF's, where as Allen Edmonds' post purchase service is excellent), there is a frustration around the resale of items.

I understand that it isn't immediately clear how supporting a strong secondary market for your brand benefits the retail experience but i can say that i would feel more comfortable buying some higher end labels based on expectations of what the resale value will be some time down the road.

Resale values are very important for car companies and some of the clothing we are buying is worth more than many used cars...lol.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
Supply and demand, Suit Supply has very successful marketing, and more people bid for their stuff. eBay in particular encourages you to search by brand name, so naturally brand recognition drives interest. (eg. there's an orphaned Cucinelli jacket right now on UK eBay at £100, obviously because it's Cucinelli and not because a used orphaned suit jacket 'holds its value'.)
Marketing is definitely very important, for example, lots of used Tom Ford suits are sold over 1K on eBay, while you can buy NWT Brioni or Kiton with much better craftsmanship for much lower than that

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
oh this is a great topic. I have a few points to offer as someone who buys a significant amount of non-retail items. Note 'non-retail' in that many things i buy on ebay for example are in fact NWT or NWOT and are therefore not used but are second-hand still.

I believe there are a number of factors that go into resale that generally fit into a category of predictability. With Brunello and Loro for example i find that there are many different fits to their garments that are difficult to ascertain from an ebay auction and so they can have a lower resale value even when measurements are provided. This is particularly true for suiting and outerwear. I could be a 48 or a 50 in Brunello suiting and a 50 or 52 in Loro cashmere sweaters. I really need to try them on to know for sure.

I've had more experience buying Tom Ford on-line and their fits tend to be more predictable except for pants. As such, i would pay a relatively higher % of MSRP for shirting and sport coats than i would for jeans or trousers from TF.

another thing that i think is relevant here is the retention of value for clothes and accessories. I find that Louis Vuitton, because there are so many fakes out there and because their post-purchase service is really not that great (neither is TF's, where as Allen Edmonds' post purchase service is excellent), there is a frustration around the resale of items.

I understand that it isn't immediately clear how supporting a strong secondary market for your brand benefits the retail experience but i can say that i would feel more comfortable buying some higher end labels based on expectations of what the resale value will be some time down the road.

Resale values are very important for car companies and some of the clothing we are buying is worth more than many used cars...lol.
Resale value largely affected our buying decisions but clothes doesn’t have much resale value comparing with cars. It doesn’t explain why new Tom Ford on eBay can be sold over 2k while Kiton can’t

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford to mainline Zegna is a better comparison (zegna makes tom ford lol).

as a 'gentleman reseller' (read: flavor pimp) i think about these things quite a bit. i do not factor resale into the stuff i personally wear as i'm not a hypebeast.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Resale value largely affected our buying decisions but clothes doesn’t have much resale value comparing with cars. It doesn’t explain why new Tom Ford on eBay can be sold over 2k while Kiton can’t
yes it does, it comes down to the brand itself & wholesale prices & selling policies.
I can tell you, you can buy a Kiton Suits/Blazer, for xxx-xxx€ (starting for cashmere, silk, silk & cashmere etc.) above 14 micron, than Guanaca and then Vicuna. (Net prices). (Minimum Order Quantity 50 pcs). Lets Assume retail Kiton 5K€
2. Attolini, more expensive in wholesale (for me) starting at xxx€(net), retail I think 3,8K€?.
3. Tom Ford, I realy can't find a reasonable wholesaler, but i assume starting at xxx-xxx€ net, retail don't know , maybe 4K€?
--> Same goes w/ Kiton Pants, --> Stefano Ricci cost more on wholesale, but retail cheaper.

--> Some big names are trashing the market right now, and the brands don't care. Others do, so the prices are more up.

conclusion, not always the MSRP is the way to look.

Best

Last edited:

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
Tom Ford to mainline Zegna is a better comparison (zegna makes tom ford lol).

as a 'gentleman reseller' (read: flavor pimp) i think about these things quite a bit. i do not factor resale into the stuff i personally wear as i'm not a hypebeast.
Tom Ford is Zegna Couture not Zegna Mainline, the former has so much more handwork. But Tom Ford does have much higher resale value. If you only buy things that you will wear immediately and with great return policy you may not care. But some of us buy things end up in the closet with tag still on it for months or no return available. If the item has great resale value, you may take you chances with the size even if you cannot return it.

bings

Reaction score
There are a bunch of sketchy Kiton fakers on ebay that keep setting up new accounts and are selling reasonable looking casual wear regularly. since i do not know the Kiton product i do not buy any Kiton new or used unless i can try it on and handle it. I believe there are others like myself. this reduces volume of potential buyers for Kiton and therefore lowers expected resale price imho.

Tom ford's ebay-fakers are selling stuff that is so obviously fake that it is very easy to avoid when searching.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the more interesting that some brands conspicuously benefit from (or are even premised on) bootlegging.

LLEE

Reaction score
I’m curious for opinions on used footwear value (because I don’t purchase clothing I can’t physcially try) There doesn’t seem to be much of a market for certain brands, while anything vintage is increasingly $$$, which I find interesting. I get some people are very opposed to used shoes, and that’s cool. But for less than the cost of many ‘premium’ cemented shoes (I know, I know), one could have a shoe resoled/corked/polished and end up with a shoe worth substantially more than invested, if the shoe has been worn to that degree. What is a Grenson, AS, GG or EG shoe worth once it no longer fits your personal foot?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m curious for opinions on used footwear value (because I don’t purchase clothing I can’t physcially try) There doesn’t seem to be much of a market for certain brands, while anything vintage is increasingly $$$, which I find interesting. I get some people are very opposed to used shoes, and that’s cool. But for less than the cost of many ‘premium’ cemented shoes (I know, I know), one could have a shoe resoled/corked/polished and end up with a shoe worth substantially more than invested, if the shoe has been worn to that degree. What is a Grenson, AS, GG or EG shoe worth once it no longer fits your personal foot?

I've found when it comes to footwear that Alden goes down very well, especially shell. Indeed, any shell is likely to sell well. I've not had much luck selling other shoes at a premium, although a pair of Hermes suede loafers did cause a ruckus when I put them up for sale. Other good stuff, like Ferragamo, C&J, Santoni, really does not get much interest beyond bare minimum margins.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
yes it does, it comes down to the brand itself & wholesale prices & selling policies.
I can tell you, you can buy a Kiton Suits/Blazer, for 400-600€ (starting for cashmere, silk, silk & cashmere etc.) above 14 micron, than Guanaca and then Vicuna. (Net prices). (Minimum Order Quantity 50 pcs). Lets Assume retail Kiton 5K€
2. Attolini, more expensive in wholesale (for me) starting at 700€(net), retail I think 3,8K€?.
3. Tom Ford, I realy can't find a reasonable wholesaler, but i assume starting at 700-1000€ net, retail don't know , maybe 4K€?
--> Same goes w/ Kiton Pants, --> Stefano Ricci cost more on wholesale, but retail cheaper.

--> Some big names are trashing the market right now, and the brands don't care. Others do, so the prices are more up.

conclusion, not always the MSRP is the way to look.

Best
WOW, 600 euro is Kiton whole sale price for suits? I thought people working in Kiton factory are bespoke level tailors and it takes them about 30 hours to make a suit. Is their tailor hourly wage that low? Why don't they start to offer bespoke service by themselves? Not enough market for bespoke service? Even at 1000 euro for Kiton tailor bespoke service?

haloitsme

Reaction score
WOW, 600 euro is Kiton whole sale price for suits? I thought people working in Kiton factory are bespoke level tailors and it takes them about 30 hours to make a suit. Is their tailor hourly wage that low? Why don't they start to offer bespoke service by themselves? Not enough market for bespoke service? Even at 1000 euro for Kiton tailor bespoke service?
I can tell you I don't know why,
I think xxx + suit / xxx-xxx € starting blazer/. But you have to think, we are talking about hugh quantity, I know a guy, he and friends bought for a couple of millions kiton "left" overs & have a contract now w/ new merchandise. They really pay next to nothing compared to msrp. And sell on Hugh quantity on some famous platform :) .
Kiton pants starting at xxx€ net. 500 pcs ,

Sry, i can not make this public here, normally kiton buy prices are 2,8 (from net msrp). Example: 1200€ retail, 1000 € net, wholesale 357€. But if you have buying power I can tell you that 2,8 is a joke!

And bespoke , the make a lot of money, now it's tradeshow season ! I talked 2 a kiton representive , he sold 4 bespoke suits for 115.000€ , they make a **** load on bespoke, no need to serve the poor man, but struggles w/ retail.

Best

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads