• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discussion of fashion week spring 07

modern77

Reaction score
I actually am quite enamored with Van Assche's collectons. I think he has a creative, elegant flair that translates well both on and off the runway. Having said that I think his fall collection was much stronger.
Spring collections i really liked (from what i have seen): Varvatos and Neil Barrett.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modern77
I actually am quite enamored with Van Assche's collectons. I think he has a creative, elegant flair that translates well both on and off the runway. Having said that I think his fall collection was much stronger.
Spring collections i really liked (from what i have seen): Varvatos and Neil Barrett.

For some reason, I really like Neil Barrett's collections (which are invariable well executed when the pieces are actually produced, especially his outerwear and jackets) much better in person than on the runway, and the converse for Varvatos collections (which seem to be getting shoddier in production by the season, with some exceptions (he had some terrific pants and leather jackets in the past few collections, but the shirts seemed poorly cut with average construction and material not commensurate with their price.) Anyone else feel this way?

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I saw the Varvatos Converse Collection at the Magic Trade Show, I think it was a strong presentation and one of the better brands presented. My problem with this line is the sillhouette and color palete doesn't differentiate enough from the main Varvatos line!. I think personally he hasn't focused the Converse line for the correct demographic, it could have been much younger in spirit, I hate this word but it works..the aesthetic could have been a little more "playfull", the Converse line was an opportunity for John to be a little less uptight.

On a side note I interviewed with John to work on this line in July of 05. I can only guess that the company I was working for at the time and the body of work I showed him from this line didn't translate well for him...Thankfully Rokara is off to a good start!. I promise I'll post pic's when I have a second to shoot some stuff.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoops, I meant "converse" as in the "conversely"
smile.gif
I agree with you about the Converse John Varvatos line though, Rye. It is definitely the work of a mature designer (and I thought better than other recent diffusion lines like Michael Michael Kors), but isn't really distinguished from the main line. I think that on the diffusion lines, Miu Miu is best. C'n'C was really a let down (in terms of designer lines) too.

From your posts, I can't imagine that you'd be particularly happy designing for John Varvatos. Glad that the Rokara line worked out for you. BTW, has it been shipped for fall yet, or is the first collection for holiday?

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
First collection is for Holiday.

Production is up and running which is exciting but as always has it's logistical ups and downs.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
the collections i like so far are from number (n)ine,ann dem,undercover,martin margiela,commes de garcons,lacoste,dior homme,john varvatos and trovata

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that on the diffusion lines, Miu Miu is best. C'n'C was really a let down (in terms of designer lines) too.

Is Miu Miu really considered a diffusion line? I've always thought of it as a separate entity in the Prada group with its own aesthetic, much like Sander or Lang. It's certainly nothing like the cheap admission tickets that C'n'C & D&G are.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Kors received praise for his very wearable collection. On the other hand, the quality is a question mark and nothing much was new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads