1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEPennypacker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Ahh 2010. Well, I placed an order for an umbrella from Brigg, from their store in London, and received it in a week. It was cheaper than at Sterling and Burke though I recommend that you ring up their store in London to ask for the prices sans VAT.

2. Lawfor

Lawfor Well-Known Member

I also had a poor experinece with Classic Luggage. While I don't want to go into the details here, I won't be ordering from them again.

3. JL724

JL724 Senior member

I purchased a Westminster SS from Classic Luggage earlier this year and had no real issues with my order. The younger sales associate I dealt with was slow to answer my e-mails but once I got in touch with the manager (Susan??? -- who was based in another location) I had no problems whatsoever. My order arrived within the time they quoted.

I think the majority of the problems people have with Classic Luggage aren't their fault, but rather the poor information they get from SAB. Remember, SAB just went through bankruptcy last year so there were obviously problems within the organization. Problems with production, meeting orders timely, etc.

4. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Did you purchase a ready made model? I'm quite befuddled as to how that could have happened since I placed an order for a Westminister SS a year-ish ago, and if they actually made your bag and sent it to you instead of fulfilling my older order first, then I think something is clearly wrong.

5. RJE

RJE Senior member

Actually...

Some speculation; some fact. The business was sold three years ago, by the family which had owned it since the 1980s, to an individual who lives in Norfolk. A sale had probably been on the cards for a couple of years beforehand, although not necessarily due to issues in the business itself.

I don't think Papworth went with the deal, but I don't know. The new owner intended setting up manufacturing in Norfolk - and jobs have been advertised locally for some time. However, the new owner has just taken on an old Acquascutum factory near Corby (a shortish distance from the owner), so plans may change.

No idea about London premises. I think they'd be better off in a smaller store on Jermyn St, but there are other streets they might prefer.

I'll leave any further speculation for offline discussion :).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-19086785
    http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/local/jobs-for-former-aquascutum-workers-at-corby-1-4122724

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The St James's Street store has been closed for several months. There are still signs of a "Relocation Sale", but now all the windows are white-washed and all the shop fittings are ripped out. Neither is there any notice about the new premises or the planned opening date.

The contact section of the website states only in a very non-committal way

At present, Swaine Aideney Brigg is just an on-line business. Whether or not they will have a brick and mortar store again, only time will tell.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Makes sense really...there was never anyone in the shop.

8. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Sad! I'm going to London for the Olympics and had hoped to stop by. Glad I got my bag when I did...

9. casemaker

casemaker Well-Known Member

Interesting thread, good for me to know what people think, need, want from a case. SAB shop still closed last week. But there are other makers in the UK :)

10. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

I liked the shop, though I found it slightly intimidating. I felt that I shouldn't touch anything, and if I did I'd have a sales assistant breathing down my neck. The bags were far too heavy. There's no way I'd spend £1000 on one of their bags. I wonder why they didn't make a lighter flap-over stye, which would tick the smart briefcase/laptop bag box.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  11. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Compared to what? Nylon? Canvas? Sure, leather will be heaver than either of those. But I still wouldn't consider my bag to be "heavy."

12. Lear

Lear Senior member

Still using my grandfather's leather briefcase (made in UK). No amount of money can recreate the patina that comes from the 'old stuff'. With Brigg, you're buying something that'll be passed down through the generations; truly old to the next generation. I have NEVER regretted high quality leather purchases. Don't even get me started on horse hide leather jackets... no, I really mean don't get me started. There's nothing like carrying a case with history to it... your history.

Same applies to their umbrellas. Brigg can repair/re-craft until the handle is worn down to a toothpick.

Put another way: not having that daily Costa Coffee Mocha with cream, 4 x flakes & marshmallows would pay for a Brigg within a year. See what I've done there. Problem solved :)

Lear

13. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Great thread. I can't help you with the purchase anymore, but sharing as caring: here's my SAB top-frame briefcase for BB's Peal series. Machine-stitched, but the leather used is the sublime thing of SAB's. London Tan with green pigskin lining. Plenty of room without bulky looks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Patek

Patek Senior member

Cross post from another thread for your comments.

15. celery

celery Senior member

That's beautiful work, if you have the funds, go for it.

16. Patek

Patek Senior member

Is there any truth in some of what he said about SAB?

"Also I see that SAB have used a thin leather wrapped around board for the F and Back panels, I would use 3.5 - 4mm Sedgewicks Bridle Butt, MUCH more durable, and a better quality of leather."

"The front and back panel is made from Bridle butt ( a much better cut than the more usual bridle shoulder, and at double the price, if SAB don't say butt, which they don't, then you have to assume shoulder)"

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Here are a couple of photos of my SAB bags.

One is, I understand, made by SAB for RL Purple Label:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other is from SAB themselves, a "Whitehall" top-frame bag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. celery

celery Senior member

Yeah the butt is the better cut and most expensive (we call them premium bends in the states). Now, the shoulder is the next best cut and frankly is still excellent. English Bridle leather is fantastic stuff in general. While I don't know SAB's business practices, I can't imagine they only use shoulders. You can cut more panels, straps and corners by buying a whole back (shoulder, butt, and belly) for a lower cost. At the very least the back minus the belly for the best cuts. I feel it would be a fair assumption to say that SAB utilizes both.

As far as linings, I tend to agree. Linings tend to deteriorate and are often held in place with a strong adhesive and stitched. Bridle leather at that weight should pretty much last a lifetime. SAB also uses Sedgewicks, and your guy uses Liston locks (again same ones SAB uses). Top stuff, and from the pictures, the stitched and construction all look impeccable.

19. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

This makes sense but I've noticed SAB uses different names for their colors. Any idea what SAB's colors (London Tan, Havana and Chestnut) equate to in Sedgwick nomenclature?

20. Patek

Patek Senior member

Thanks gents, great feedback. I guess I will be the guinea pig on this and report back.