Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEPennypacker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

2. punch

punch Member

^^ that last one is pimp. I might look at that one as well. As to the issue of machine versus hand stitching, can you really tell the difference? Is it noticeable?

3. iroh

iroh Senior member

the machine stitched handle looks like crap next to the hand-stitched one. worth the price premium IMO

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

4. HEPennypacker

Yeah, I think the handle is pretty much the only noticeable difference. Not sure that it's worth the price premium though. But the hand-stitched ones are the only ones that are customizable, I believe. I further convinced myself with the thought of supporting the craft, receiving a unique piece, etc.

Lol looking at that last one I posted above, it is pretty sweet.

5. punch

punch Member

6. HEPennypacker

Nice! A four-month lead time? Impressive. But I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Report back when it arrives!

7. punch

punch Member

I'm more concerned about the fact that the price they quoted me doesn't match up with the representations on the website. I'm having second thoughts about dealing with Sterling and Burke. Are there any other distributors in the US?

8. HEPennypacker

Not to my knowledge. How much more are they quoting you? I suppose one way to verify their prices would be to see how much you could get for directly from SAB.

9. iroh

iroh Senior member

SAB bags and SBL bags don't fall into the same category for bag usage, one is for business and the other is for casual use. Maybe you should keep both.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

10. punch

punch Member

I think they quoted nearly $300 over listed price, excluding shipping. Maybe it was a mistake, I'm awaiting confirmation.

11. JL724

JL724 Senior member

Does anyone have any side by side pictures of a Westminster 3 and Westminster Wrap SS? I'd like to get a size comparison.

12. HEPennypacker

I don't have a side-by-side, but I did look at the American version that BB sells (I think I read that they might not sell it anymore?). The American version is quite a bit larger. For instance, I can fit letter or legal sized documents in my bag by inserting them horizontally, with the longest side facing down/up. By contrast, I could probably insert them vertically into the American bag. I thought that it was more bag than I needed and that it looked very big when I was holding it in front of the mirror. On the other hand, there is a lot to be said for additional storage space.

13. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

Do you generally use the shoulder strap or carry your case by the handle?

14. HEPennypacker

I personally have never used the shoulder strap. It's still sitting in the dust bag. However, I've read of others using it almost exclusively. As noted earlier in the thread, user RJMan had some wear issues with his straps. IIRC, he had to have the hooks reworked. The handle seems to be much more robust. I suppose I'd use the shoulder straps if I had a longer commute, but for the 15 mins it takes me to get to work, I'd much rather use the handle.

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Taking down the shop fronts in the windows at SAB when I walked past last week...