1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEPennypacker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Nice! A four-month lead time? Impressive. But I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Report back when it arrives!

2. punch

punch Member

I'm more concerned about the fact that the price they quoted me doesn't match up with the representations on the website. I'm having second thoughts about dealing with Sterling and Burke. Are there any other distributors in the US?

3. HEPennypacker

Not to my knowledge. How much more are they quoting you? I suppose one way to verify their prices would be to see how much you could get for directly from SAB.

4. iroh

iroh Senior member

SAB bags and SBL bags don't fall into the same category for bag usage, one is for business and the other is for casual use. Maybe you should keep both.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. punch

punch Member

I think they quoted nearly $300 over listed price, excluding shipping. Maybe it was a mistake, I'm awaiting confirmation.

6. JL724

JL724 Senior member

Does anyone have any side by side pictures of a Westminster 3 and Westminster Wrap SS? I'd like to get a size comparison.

7. HEPennypacker

I don't have a side-by-side, but I did look at the American version that BB sells (I think I read that they might not sell it anymore?). The American version is quite a bit larger. For instance, I can fit letter or legal sized documents in my bag by inserting them horizontally, with the longest side facing down/up. By contrast, I could probably insert them vertically into the American bag. I thought that it was more bag than I needed and that it looked very big when I was holding it in front of the mirror. On the other hand, there is a lot to be said for additional storage space.

8. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

Do you generally use the shoulder strap or carry your case by the handle?

9. HEPennypacker

I personally have never used the shoulder strap. It's still sitting in the dust bag. However, I've read of others using it almost exclusively. As noted earlier in the thread, user RJMan had some wear issues with his straps. IIRC, he had to have the hooks reworked. The handle seems to be much more robust. I suppose I'd use the shoulder straps if I had a longer commute, but for the 15 mins it takes me to get to work, I'd much rather use the handle.

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Taking down the shop fronts in the windows at SAB when I walked past last week...

11. HEPennypacker

This saddens me. I need to pay a visit to Sterling & Burke to see how this is affecting our ability to get things stateside. I've been eyeing an umbrella...

12. dreamtripper

Are you certain it is closing? I just purchased a duffel from the shop a few weeks ago.

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Unless Christmas finished last Wednesday or their calendars are all wrong...they were taking down the christmas decorations.

14. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

I'll pop down there on Tuesday and report back.

15. dreamtripper

I spoke with the someone at the shop about a custom order I made a little while ago. Best I can tell, things are still clicking along although they do seem to be a little low on inventory.

16. 3ff3z8e

3ff3z8e Well-Known Member

Malford,

Been following this thread a bit as I was interested in ordering a slightly modified wedge holdall.. but holding off as I'm a lil concerned with all the news that they're shutting up their showroom... Any news on what the situation is? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  17. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

I went down there on Weds - all seemed to be normal....

18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Ah, then the rumours of SAB's death have been greatly exaggerated.

19. HEPennypacker

Here are some pics immediately following and one day after the feeding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  20. Patek

Patek Senior member

So, based on the lead times, I need to order a bag now if I want to see it this week. I'm a little torn on what/where to order.

Last year I ordered a SAB POW from classic luggage--this was my first foray into SAB products. I know I want one of their hand-stiched bags for daily use. I will be carrying this bag from board meetings, construction sites located in corn fields and on top of mountains and everywhere in between.

Model:
    I carry a laptop daily for work and I travel by air about every other week (read I have to pull my laptop out when going through security). I really like the look of the Westminister 3 as the straps have an oldworld charm to me. I'm a little concerned with the lack of a proper laptop holder and with the straps becoming an issue when going through security. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The Lombard is also a beautiful bag and it has a nice laptop compartment and easy access for pulling out the laptop.

Color:
    I love the London tan but I also think chestnut is beautiful. I'm probably leaning slightly more towards the London tan.

Where to KOP:
    I'm in no hurry. I have purchased from Classic Luggage before, but it seems that buying directly from SAB is slightly cheaper. I am interested in supporting local retailers and being out-of state from Classic Luggage saves me sales tax.

Anyone with thoughts or opinions?

Also, the Westminister 3 comes to $2175 while the Lombard is almost $400 cheaper at $1790 at Classic Luggage.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012