• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Thanks! That's one of the most detailed bag reviews I've ever read! And I think it looks fine without the straps, though I would probably keep them on for character. Nice to know that removing them is an acceptable option though--it really adds to the bag's versatility.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
After debating the various options for several days, I finally decided to order the Westminster Wrap SS in London Tan. I decided to go with the British version over the larger American version after visiting Brooks Brothers and handling the Peal version of the American case...it seemed big for my tastes and needs. I think the traditional version should be plenty big enough. I went with London Tan over the other two colors because it's the traditional color but nonetheless more unique among the briefcases I see and likely to patinate very well. Chestnut was a close second. Havana seemed as if it would look "old" rather than "well aged" after a number of years. Finally, I went with the wraparound case instead of a flap-over or top-frame case because of both looks and versatility. I personally like the look of the straps and think they should be fine in most, if not all, settings. And if I want to go strapless every now and then (e.g., on a day when I will need frequent and quick access), that's also an option.

I placed a bespoke order directly through SAB because I wanted to add some custom features and receive the VAT refund (saving me hundreds of dollars over classicluggage.com). That process took about a week due to e-mail communication, time zone differences, and, frankly, SAB's slowness to respond. But the order was placed yesterday, and the manager said the lead time is currently 14(!) weeks. I will update the thread with pics when I receive the case, but it should look very similar to Rambler's seen here (I also got the round lock and newspaper pocket, but other alterations as well):

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...id=1Yctm7Vizcx

And because it's a chore (but somewhat fun) to hunt down pics of older cases, here are links to some I have found over the past few weeks in case they are useful to future purchasers who stumble across this thread (note many of these are not SABs, but they look similar... I wanted an idea of how the leather would look with age):

Havana?:

DSC05393.JPG

DSC05394.JPG

DSC05396.JPG

DSC05398.JPG

DSC05400.JPG

Also: http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...6&d=1225319643

Chestnut?:

tumblr_l18h8pBHVx1qa2j8co1_500.jpg

DSCF7841.jpg

DSCF7736.jpg

DSCF7737.jpg

London Tan?

022.jpg

405599393_o.jpg

405601081_o.jpg

Others should feel free to add. Apologies if any of these were used against a poster's will. PM me and I will remove the link.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me if the BB Peal case you handled was hand stitched? In the wastelands of San Francisco I can't handle one of these cases and I can't tell from the picture online.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my rather minor product from SAB, I chose chestnut because I believed it would age the best.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Can you tell me if the BB Peal case you handled was hand stitched? In the wastelands of San Francisco I can't handle one of these cases and I can't tell from the picture online.
As far as I know, all of the Peal cases are machine stitched...but BB charges a hand-stitched price for them. Even if it is hand-stitched, I'd just order one directly from SAB for cheaper (once you consider the VAT refund).

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
In my rather minor product from SAB, I chose chestnut because I believed it would age the best.

That was a difficult decision for me. I think it came down to the fact that I didn't hear of anyone regretting their London tan choice, but a few people (including Peter Eliot) regretted chestnut because of the redness. But I think both are good colors, and I will likely one day get something in Chestnut...perhaps a Gladstone bag.

heaven7

Reaction score
How much does a new one run?
The havana one si a beautiful piece.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker
That was a difficult decision for me. I think it came down to the fact that I didn't hear of anyone regretting their London tan choice, but a few people (including Peter Eliot) regretted chestnut because of the redness. But I think both are good colors, and I will likely one day get something in Chestnut...perhaps a Gladstone bag.
The London tan in person is actually a bit too garish for my taste. I can only ever see it working well in a casual setting. The product I chose was the full size coat wallet, so I didn't want the large juxtaposition between a navy conservative suit and black shoes with a bright tan coloured wallet. I also didn't want the dull choice of dark brown. After a year:
DSC_2541.jpg

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
That is quite handsome. Lol you're making me second-guess myself, because I really did spend days going back and forth between the two colors.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of the London Tan. It also says "fine leather" where brown is often used to cover lesser quality leathers, (although not at SA).

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker
As far as I know, all of the Peal cases are machine stitched...but BB charges a hand-stitched price for them. Even if it is hand-stitched, I'd just order one directly from SAB for cheaper (once you consider the VAT refund).

I have the Peal & Co. Top Frame Briefcase - purchased for 40% off last Christmas - and it is definitely machine stitched. The handle on the $2000 flap over appears to be hand sewn but I'd have to see it to be sure.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
That sounds right. I think all of the handles are hand-sewn even if the body is not.

Rambler

Reaction score
The London tan one you have pictured is my pic of the one I sold over a year ago (so yes, it's London tan). I regretted selling it and ended up buying another one but got the round lock instead.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
I also suggest that you spend a bit of time thinking of the pros and cons of a strapped, flap-over document case. It does take a little bit of time and effort to open and close...and if you have a need to repeatedly open and shut the case or open it in a hurry, it can seem rather burdensome. Moreover, the flap will not stay open by itself; it will naturally fall back over the top (gravity isn't only a good idea; it's the law)...meaning that you have to hold the flap up when you are inserting or taking items out of the case or repeatedly lift the flap up. In other words, if quick, easy and regular access to the case is a factor, you might want to contemplate another design. On the other hand, if you do not have such a need and are looking for an exceptionally handsome leathergood, this could be a very good choice.

+1. Personally I prefer top framed cases (called doctor's bags here, don't know if that's the case in the States) because they are more easily accessible and can stand up on their own without any dramas.

The only drawback is a fold over case can usually accommodate more stuff as the bag dimensions are less rigid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads