1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEPennypacker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

SAB modified Peel attache case, made for Mr. Porter's Kingman Collection....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SAB modifoed it slightly for the Mr. Porter, making it wider in length and width, but retaining the 3" depth of their traditional Peel case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Beautiful. Just don't have need for a case like this. Below is pic of my 3 years old briefcase.
    [​IMG]

3. letsi

letsi Senior member

Sorry to thread dig but I just want to give a review of the Grantchester Briefcase that I've purchased from Ray Clark last week and had it arrived today. Since Ray was an ex-employee of SAB, I just want to showcase (and since I don't find reviews of his work here) a little of the great work he has and continues to do for the briefcase making industry.

I'll present it in line with how the OP HEPennypacker had reviewed his SAB's WestMinister as a hat tip to HEP for the great review he posted (which got me interested in the wraparound briefcase) and as a comparison for the WestMinister model that Ray had used to made in the past while in SAB's employment.

I'll not have too many photos though for brevity sake but am willing to take more if anyone's interested in seeing more. I regret to say that the two listings of the last two Grantchester briefcases available (1x Dark Havana Brown and 1x Tan) for sale on his Etsy shop (TheLeatherFoundry) are now gone, I swear that they were still there a couple of days ago though...

Well... all that said, here are the photos and apologies for my camphone shooting skill (or lack of):

[​IMG]

Strap and Sedgwick Leathercare (freebie from RC)
    [​IMG]

Protection overkill with the bubble wraps but just the way I like it for items travelling across continents :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brass parts wrapped in bubble wraps too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Holding straps are stitched whereas the SAB ones aren't
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Strap pad lined with green suede
    [​IMG]

Squared strap buckles instead of D-shaped ones used by SAB
    [​IMG]

The accordian side which is also the best part I love about this briefcase. I could probably count with one hand, how many mass consumer briefcase makers/companies are able/willing to fold them from a single piece of leather at the bottom so beautifully as opposed to just sewing different panels of leather together because of the effort required :nodding:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior of the briefcase
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keys for the lock
    [​IMG]

In summary, the workmanship and leather quality seems to be on par with what SAB is currently retailing though with slight subtle differences to make you feel it's a variation of SAB's classic wrapped around briefcase I guess... Although in terms of leather quality, Ray has stated that the bridle leather he uses are locally sourced (which is not different from SAB is doing based on what I understand here) as reflected by his price point when compared to the top grade JE Sedgwick bridles that Simon Baker uses for his custom briefcase orders. In regards to the workmanship though I believe both Ray and Simon Baker are above what SAB can and has to offers in value. Would love for someone to make me eat my words though :slayer:

Lastly, Ray plans to leave this briefcase making business once the last of his briefcases are sold. That's the only regret I have about purchasing this briefcase since it accelerated his "retirement"... That said, he offered his long term after-sale support for problems (if there are any) that I might have with this case as a assurance of his willingness to stand behind his works so I assume he'll still stick around for some leather work projects :embar:

Perhaps, he might change his mind after all if his inbox is inundated with case making requests after this review post (a man can hope I guess?) as I find it a loss to the classic briefcase loving community when a man with his skill and talent retires.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. jodaghoda

jodaghoda Member

What is the difference between the Swaine Adeney and the Papworth line of cases? Thanks.

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Papworth is fully machine stitched.

6. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think SAB do quite a lot of machine stitching now as well - might pay to do some research if you want had stitching. Its sadly a much misused term nowadays..

Charlie

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

SAB can do hand stitched briefcases (full/partial) , with Extra premium. Some SAB models also specify if any parts are hand stitched (mostly the top handle). Where papworth is entirely machine stitched . Also all SAB comes standard green seude lined. Where as papworth also comes fabric lined/ unlined. A SAB is classic piece of investment , I have one and love it. Either papworth or SAB briefcase will outlast you.

1 person likes this.
  8. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

I was able to get my hands on this SAB Bond attache case.... it is hand stitched black bridle leather on the exterior, and red skiver leather for the interior. Story is that it's a replica of the case James Bond used in the movie to Russia with Love. It is 4.5" deep, and has brass locks and parts....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. PeterEliot

PeterEliot Well-Known Member

After buying both the Filson Satchel and the SAB Wesminster Wrap-Round, I have found the perfect bag for me.

Swaine Adeney Brigg Westminster with short straps. 8 days into ownership, and already I know I will not be parting with it, ever.

Currently in the process of writing a full-length review of the bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

^^ what a beautiful case. Makes me want to buy one.

11. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

My SAB cases....

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. jodaghoda

jodaghoda Member

Lovely! Did you go with the bespoke option and add a shoulder strap? Look forward to seeing pictures of the interiors and also your review.

13. Sonny1

Sonny1 Member

I am new to this forum and wondered if anyone has Swaine Adeney's Chesterford trolley cases. I would appreciate your opinions regarding the quality of construction and the robustness of their trolley handle and wheels. I am assuming that these cases are machine stitched due to their size.

14. MMNY

MMNY Member

I just purchased a "new, unused" Swaine Adeney Westminster 3, Chestnut, but when I compare it what others have posted, it has distinct differences, and appears more like a bag made by Ray Clark--even though it has a SA label. In particular, the strap holds are not squared off, but pointed, and the buckles on the strap are squared off, not round like an SAB.

Anyone have an opinion? Thanks.

Here are pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Sonny1

Sonny1 Member

Hi. Did you purchase from a UK seller on Ebay?

16. MMNY

MMNY Member

Yes, I did.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  17. Sonny1

Sonny1 Member

I have noticed that he is selling at substantial discounts to SAB's recommended retail price. You may want to confirm with SAB if they actually manufactured these pieces.

18. MMNY

MMNY Member

Thanks. I sent them an email earlier today. See if I hear something back tomorrow. I was puzzled about the discount as well.

19. casemaker

casemaker Well-Known Member

He has listed the 2 cases he has on e-bay uk, as "100% TRADITIONAL HAND STITCHED ONE STITCH AT A TIME " this is incorrect, only the handle and the chapes holding the handle to the case are hand stitched, the rest is machine stitched. On your case, the chapes holding the body straps will also be hand stitched.

20. jazzsol

jazzsol Senior member

Was it necessary for you to post his actual name for the world at this time? He has not done anything wrong yet. You bought the bag at a substantial discount which makes you nervous.