Discuss Land's End like you did J.Crew

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Lots of more casual shirts are deliberately made puckered. I'm not sure how they do it.

2. intent

intent Senior member

Lots of more casual shirts are deliberately made puckered. I'm not sure how they do it.
    Child labour.

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Lands' End

You the best, Doc.

Been away a bit. One of the people that I missed :)

http://www.anbhf.org/laureates/gcomer.htm

4. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

A few months back I was looking for a standard OCBD on the cheap side and wound up with one from LE Canvas. It serves it's purpose well. My only complaint is that I wish it were a touch slimmer in the waist, but I knew that was a potential problem going in what with their marketed to grandpa reputation.

Oddly enough, when I was looking around I checked out LL Bean for similar, but all I could find from them were of the "wrinkle-resistant" variety. What gives there? I always associated these two with each other, and was surprised they had nothing to offer.

5. The Gooch

The Gooch Senior member

Nothing from Lands End calls out to me, therefore I do not buy.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    for anyone who is interested, the Lands' End khakis in heavier weight are a little hard to find, but they are back on the website ... look for Winter Chinos. very nice.

7. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I agree that Lands' End has some good items at good prices.

The Trad taste test was interesting but I don't believe it was "blind." I could ID a BB OCBD from a pile of tagless shirts on the cuff shirring alone. I'm sure Boyer knew exactly who made each shirt without needing a label. It's not that hard. They are not indistinguishable.

8. raybert

raybert Well-Known Member

I recently purchased some "test" items.

A Boys Large Sweater and Tailored Fit Sleeve No Iron Pinpoint (14.5). They both fit ok in terms of sizing but the arm holes are very low even for the boys sweater. Unfortunately I won't be wearing them so will donate them to charity. Will Book Brothers be better?

9. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

for anyone who is interested, the Lands' End khakis in heavier weight are a little hard to find, but they are back on the website ... look for Winter Chinos. very nice.

Are they in fact slimmer than the normal tailored fit? Those are really baggy for me. (Baggier than J. Crew Classic Fit)

10. inq89

inq89 Senior member

Not a fan of the BDs but love their legacy chinos. Softest I've ever owned and the best fitting and incredibly cheap. Have a few items from Canvas that are among my favorite.

With the almost weekly sales and free shipping, the free hemming, great customer service, etc. Lands End is easily among my favorite cheap brands. Far more than J.Crew nowadays.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Are they in fact slimmer than the normal tailored fit? Those are really baggy for me. (Baggier than J. Crew Classic Fit)

i'm not sure about slimmer. i'm not a slimmer build kind of guy. these fit me really well ... they are nowhere near as baggy as Bill's, which are practically elephantine. they do have a tailored fit that is supposed to be slimmer.

12. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Bumping this for a renewed debate...

13. rcoreytaylor

rcoreytaylor Senior member

Purchased an LE Donegal CPO jacket that is great. I've received unsolicited compliments on it numerous times. LE has some good stuff and some bad stuff - so does BB. If you try a piece and have luck with it - that's awesome! If you try a piece and it doesn't quite work out - oh well, after all it's from LE and you probably didn't pay too much for it in the first place.:)

14. john parker

john parker Well-Known Member

...and you can return it.

15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I've found Lands End Canvas to be okay. I have a wool/cotton autumn cardigan, a pair of thick cords, and a couple of slim-fit Irish linen shirts from them, all purchased at sale prices and they are all quite good. I've never felt the urge to buy anything from the basic Lands End range - it all looks too boring. I did try a couple of equivalent linen shirts from LLBean Signature and they were terrible - scatchy and really oddly constructed. Luckily they too accept returns no questions asked. The only thing I have from LLBean is a Katahdin Ironworks hooded jacket which is great for working outside in the winter. Again almost everything they do looks uninspiring. If I ever lost the will to live I might start ordering things from them more often...