• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Disco Techno"

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
It's no secret that I'm a moron when it comes to music, and I couldn't find this song on Pandora.com, so I thought I'd ask here as a last resort:

I'm currently digging the song "1973" by TH White. I think he's a little-known DJ, and the only reason I ran across it was because it was played during Members Only (The Sopranos 6.01) during the scene where Silvio tells Eugene Pontecorvo he can't move to Florida. It's got a very catchy beat, and it was used as part of the Bada Bing!'s strip-to music. It's so obscure that I couldn't find an mp3 anywhere and resorted to just buying the CD (for $0.99!). You can listen to it here on Rhapsody after going through an annoying registration, if you're so inclined.

Anyway, I was wondering, is there anything else like it? The best way I can describe it is "disco"-style techno, though this may not be accurate.

Your help is appreciated!

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the "Italo (disco)" scene pretty much matches what you're looking for. Sally Shapiro, Kavinsky, Alec DeRuggiero, Black Devil Disco Club, etc.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
I just found "Mushroom Jazz" by DJ Mark Farina that is also a good match!

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italo Disco is great. It spawned Hi NRG and Super Eurobeat. Good stuff all around. My favorite is Miko Mission's "How Old Are You?" Unfortunately, most of these songs have fallen into obscurity, and are even hard to find on YouTube. Usually, searching a record exchange or Imeem.com will help.

strazzaque

Reaction score
I can't listen to the Rhapsody link as the site only caters to US ip addresses, but disco type dance music, as I know it would include

Bob Sinclar/ Cerrone
Danny Krivit
Joey Negro
DJ Disciple

A lot of French House acts, Dimitri From Paris' Night at the Playboy Mansion being the most famous example, is synonymous with the use of disco beats. Notable acts include

Superfunk
Kojak
Daft Punk- first album

Try listening to some mp3 clips from these sites:

www.gomusic.mp3
www.newburycomics.com
www.barnesnoble.com
www.amazon.com

www.gemm.com is also one of the best places to find harder to find music.

Of the suggestions provided, I didn't recognise any of the acts, but liked Chromeo's sound on their MySpace page.

If you find the acts I have suggested are to your liking and would like more, please feel free to PM me for a list of acts.

I collected many Cds in that precise subgenre before I tired and returned to my guitar heroes.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas Bangalter built french house. That is a great recommendation strazzaque. His other projects (Stardust, etc.) are also good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads