Disappointed with Grapevinehill

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DShareef, Jan 4, 2007.

1. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I've only purchased shoe trees from GVH but they shipped promptly each time and left me feedback once I left them some (which I think is a little immoral, but hey what are you going to do)?

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

and left me feedback once I left them some (which I think is a little immoral, but hey what are you going to do)?

How so? That is standard practice.

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

That's $31.50 by FEDEX mister + the usual duty, GST, PST, brokerage fee... which amounted to $102 the last time I bought a $230 pair of Polo/C&J monks from GVH. [​IMG]

Nice. That's why I dislike FedEx so much. Not only are they over-priced, but they ream you with that brokerage charge. Wah? You're going to charge me money for the privilege of charging me money? Even the mob shows more restraint.

Shipping shoes to Canada should only cost $15. I know because I've had several pairs shipped from across the U.S. for exactly that price.

4. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

How so? That is standard practice.

How so? The second I give you my money, and presuming I've done so on time and in the manner specified, you've been satisfied and my role is finished. Give me my feedback. I will never leave feedback for a seller who decides to play that game.

All of this is irrelevant anyway because eBay's feedback system is completely broken.

5. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

I am amazed by you people. Simply amazed. How did this discussion evolve (I use that term loosely) into a discussion about my ability to source and evaluate deals. Laughable.

The CH, J&M et al that I referenced all have leather soles and they are still in good shape.

Why would I buy Mezlan instead of say EG or Lobb having learned from this board? I simply choose to allocate my resources a bit differently than some of you may.

Some of your comments were constructive. Others were not. Why people feel the need to attack is beyond me. Believe it Dior!

As to bidding an additional $50 for the better brands. When you see premium brands on eBay in size 13D with regularity, please let me know.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

How so? The second I give you my money, and presuming I've done so on time and in the manner specified, you've been satisfied and my role is finished. Give me my feedback. I will never leave feedback for a seller who decides to play that game. All of this is irrelevant anyway because eBay's feedback system is completely broken.
    True, and it should work that way. However, some buyers have discovered that receiving a negative feedback means a great deal to a seller, and can use that to their advantage - as far as getting a partial refund from a seller, or getting them to take back goods when it is against the return policy, etc. I used to leave feedback for the buyer as soon as I received payment. I'd still like to do so, however, bad personal experiences prevent me from doing this anymore. I ask that my buyers leave feedback when they receive the item to let me know that it arrived safely, and then I'll immediately leave them feedback in return. I think a majority of sellers deal this way. The little guys and the mom & pop sellers tend to leave feedback right away, as soon as they get payment.

7. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

True, and it should work that way. However, some buyers have discovered that receiving a negative feedback means a great deal to a seller, and can use that to their advantage - as far as getting a partial refund from a seller, or getting them to take back goods when it is against the return policy, etc.

I used to leave feedback for the buyer as soon as I received payment. I'd still like to do so, however, bad personal experiences prevent me from doing this anymore. I ask that my buyers leave feedback when they receive the item to let me know that it arrived safely, and then I'll immediately leave them feedback in return.

I think a majority of sellers deal this way. The little guys and the mom & pop sellers tend to leave feedback right away, as soon as they get payment.

Like I said mang, the system, she is broken. They really need to overhaul it.

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Like I said mang, the system, she is broken. They really need to overhaul it.

Google needs to come along, take everything that ebay is doing right, eliminate what they are doing wrong, and blow ebay out of the water with their auction site.

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

How so? The second I give you my money, and presuming I've done so on time and in the manner specified, you've been satisfied and my role is finished. Give me my feedback. I will never leave feedback for a seller who decides to play that game.

No, I completely disagree with this. The seller should wait until the buyer leaves feedback. leaving feedback early generally encourages the buyer to use it to complain about little details.

In general, I don't care about leaving or getting feedback, but I do care about avoiding troublesome buyers.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I am amazed by you people. Simply amazed. How did this discussion evolve (I use that term loosely) into a discussion about my ability to source and evaluate deals. Laughable.

The CH, J&M et al that I referenced all have leather soles and they are still in good shape.

Why would I buy Mezlan instead of say EG or Lobb having learned from this board? I simply choose to allocate my resources a bit differently than some of you may.

Some of your comments were constructive. Others were not. Why people feel the need to attack is beyond me. Believe it Dior!

As to bidding an additional $50 for the better brands. When you see premium brands on eBay in size 13D with regularity, please let me know.

Dude, I think the general point is that GVH is not a shoe manufacturer. You bid what you thought was fair on a pair of shoes you liked. You won, paid them and they sent you the shoes. At that point, your relationship with GVH is over. You wore the shoes for four months and you are surprised that they are not sympathetic to your plight? It is hard to take your post serious. Many years ago I bought a pair of Gorgio Brutini's from Macy's and they maybe lasted two months. What do you think Macy's would have done for me had I approached them?

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

DShareef,
    Your title of the thread reads, "Disappointed with Grapevinehill"
    followed by a post regarding how a mezlan you purchased from them did not last a few months of regular wear.

if it was a pair of mezlans that were found to defective, fake, wrong size, and then GVH did not make recompense for that to you, i would agree with your complaint.

i give the benefit of the doubt that you are a sensible, educated adult who can make good judgment, that is why after reading the title, i cannot believe what i am reading.
    i made no personal attack on you.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Dude, I think the general point is that GVH is not a shoe manufacturer. You bid what you thought was fair on a pair of shoes you liked. You won, paid them and they sent you the shoes. At that point, your relationship with GVH is over. You wore the shoes for four months and you are surprised that they are not sympathetic to your plight? It is hard to take your post serious. Many years ago I bought a pair of Gorgio Brutini's from Macy's and they maybe lasted two months. What do you think Macy's would have done for me had I approached them?

now if you purchased them from nordstrom, hehehe.

although i never did that.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Can you just reword the title to: "Disappointed with the Mezlans I Bought from GVH"?

14. nelly

nelly Senior member

You see DShareef, the problem mainly is the direction of your logic. First off, you are disappointed in the Mezlan's but somehow blame GVH. Yet, when you are happy with Cole Haans and Florsheims, are you happy with those brands NOT the Macy's where you bought them? (I Actually don't know if you bought them at Macy's or not, just a guess and not important). By your line of thinking, your experience would have been much different had you bought the same Mezlan shoes at a different store! And that is both dumb and ridiculous because no store has a warranty on shoes worn for 4 months. Second, you wonder why you should have known to buy EGs and Lobbs and not Mezlans. This forum does not tell you what to buy, if anything, it encourages you to express your style. What the forum does do, is allow you to make educated decisions and CONTROL YOUR EXPECTATIONS. Example: My expectations for RM Williams is very high because of the amount of positive feedback on the boots. While my expectations are low for Armani Collezioni suits because while their cuts are nice, forum consensus is that the quality is subpar for price. Third, the whole point of ebay shopping is deal finding and mining through millions of garbage items to find gems. Amazing deals on 13D Lobbs ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WITH REGULARITY. Otherwise, luxury brands would go out of business. Finally, I disagree with some of the other posters. I am attacking you. You should be attacked for making such stupid assertions. But you must realize that we do it because we care and learning from these types of mistakes are the only way you are going to grow (as a stylish person). If I was unhappy with a pair of Banana Republic shoes that I bought AND had the nerve to post that experience, I would want you and everyone else to attack me. Because let me tell you, I was once that guy. And I appreciate everyone who told me I was wrong so that I wouldn't take the same wrong turn over again.

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

You see DShareef, the problem mainly is the direction of your logic. First off, you are disappointed in the Mezlan's but somehow blame GVH. Yet, when you are happy with Cole Haans and Florsheims, are you happy with those brands NOT the Macy's where you bought them? (I Actually don't know if you bought them at Macy's or not, just a guess and not important). By your line of thinking, your experience would have been much different had you bought the same Mezlan shoes at a different store! And that is both dumb and ridiculous because no store has a warranty on shoes worn for 4 months.

Second, you wonder why you should have known to buy EGs and Lobbs and not Mezlans. This forum does not tell you what to buy, if anything, it encourages you to express your style. What the forum does do, is allow you to make educated decisions and CONTROL YOUR EXPECTATIONS. Example: My expectations for RM Williams is very high because of the amount of positive feedback on the boots. While my expectations are low for Armani Collezioni suits because while their cuts are nice, forum consensus is that the quality is subpar for price.

Third, the whole point of ebay shopping is deal finding and mining through millions of garbage items to find gems. Amazing deals on 13D Lobbs ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WITH REGULARITY. Otherwise, luxury brands would go out of business.

Finally, I disagree with some of the other posters. I am attacking you. You should be attacked for making such stupid assertions. But you must realize that we do it because we care and learning from these types of mistakes are the only way you are going to grow (as a stylish person). If I was unhappy with a pair of Banana Republic shoes that I bought AND had the nerve to post that experience, I would want you and everyone else to attack me. Because let me tell you, I was once that guy. And I appreciate everyone who told me I was wrong so that I wouldn't take the same wrong turn over again.

Actually what he's doing is worse than what you mentioned. It would be analogous to buying a pair of Banana Republic shoes from Marshall's for a fraction of the retail price, then making a post titled "Dissapointed with Marshall's" about how he wore the shoes for 4 months then wanted them to give him a refund because they didn't last as long as he expected. If you buy shitty products, what do you expect, honestly?