• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disappointed w/ alden trunk show

RLDean

Reaction score
I had been eagerly waiting for the Alden trunk show coming to Denver for the past 6 weeks, and now that it's come and gone I'm rather disappointed.

I've never owned Aldens before, and the salesman at Homer Reed Ltd mentioned the trunk show and the rep that would be out that could help fit me in the different lasts.  Well, the rep brought out most models (not the monk straps), but as far as the selection for trying on he only had sizes in the Copley last Flex Welts, and Aberdeen last slip-on (tassel mocs) -- no Hampton last, no Aberdeen lace-ups ...

He put me in a 10D (which I could have guessed blindly), but mentioned that in the Aberdeen perhaps a 10-1/2C would work better, but that he didn't have any C widths with him.  My left heel slipped out of the Aberdeen moc completely with each step, but I have no idea if the 10-1/2C or lace-ups would be much better.

I was hoping to get a feel for the various lasts (lace up and slip on) so that I could order them with condfidence in the future, and have a starting point for translating the fit to C&J and EG, alas, that was not to be.

Perhaps this was more a problem of missed expectations, than the trunk show -- not really sure.  The promo was free shoe trees for orders made during the show, so I went ahead and ordered the Medallion Tip Balmorals in burnished tan (hampton last) and I'll hope for the best.

finished complaining,
/richard

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wholesale men are notoriously poor shoe fitters. Their main responsibility is to cultivate sales in their territories. Also, they do not typically travel with stock; just the samples. Many of the reps now have very little shoe fitting experience; it's much more important for them to have the personality and drive to spend most of their time on the road building their account base and taking care of the problems retailers have - not individual customers. The salesman/fitter at the store you visited has the responsibility to fit you properly. He/she should have needed no help from a rep as to how a particular last/style fits. Thats his job. This Spring, due to scheduling concerns, I did the Allen Edmonds trunk show on the same weekend at all 3 stores. I did store A, the rep did store B, and our manager did store C. The return/refusal rate at store B (where the A/E man did the fittings) was 50% while my stores had a grand total of 1. Next season we will do all the fittings.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIDER,

If you don't mind, I was wondering where and what the name of your store is, so that I might pop in or a visit sometime. Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post this information on the board.

Thanks.

RLDean

Reaction score
Rider, thanks for all the detail, we'll see what happens when the shoes arrive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads