• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dirt on shirt collars?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no solution to this, so I figured maybe SF is the place to ask-

I wear mostly point collar shirts and after washing most of them, the collars have some kind of dirt on the points (this also sometimes happens with my dad's button-down collars). I've tried washing them by hand and that doesn't seem to do too much. Anyone have any solution on how to stop this from happening?

It is noticeable in real life, maybe not as much with a tie-
sf-1.jpg

sf-2.jpg

I know it's not dirt from wearing the shirt, because the one below hasn't even been worn yet and it's already beginning to show up. I have only washed it once-
sf-3.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's really weird. I've never experienced that kind of problem. Do the marks only surface after washing?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like rust marks from the iron. Zout it out and get a better iron.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
That's really weird. I've never experienced that kind of problem. Do the marks only surface after washing?

From what I have noticed, yes.

The shirts are washed in with other dress shirts and pants (khakis and slacks), but I don't think that should make a difference what I wash them with?
confused.gif

Originally Posted by iammatt

I do not use an iron, I just hang them up out of the dryer.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

But why only at the points then?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
From what I have noticed, yes.

The shirts are washed in with other dress shirts and pants (khakis and slacks), but I don't think that should make a difference what I wash them with?
confused.gif

I do not use an iron, I just hang them up out of the dryer.

Do you see this on any of the shirt's other corners (cuffs, hem, etc.)?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But why only at the points then?

That's what I don't understand. I haven't heard of this happening before, and considering that the peach-colored shirt is literally brand-new, right out of the packaging (I washed it once and this happened, haven't worn it at all yet), I don't understand where it would have come from
frown.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you see this on any of the shirt's other corners (cuffs, hem, etc.)?

No, just the collar. I also do not use collar stays.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxy clean gets the dirt off of my French cuffs, perhaps it would work with your collars.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it is the dryer (which shortens the life of your garments btw)...try air drying them.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mannix
Oxy clean gets the dirt off of my French cuffs, perhaps it would work with your collars.

This wouldn't be a problem with colored shirts? I may have to try this.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ It sounds like washing off the stain isn't the problem; it's the fact that it is mysteriously recurring.

Do you hang-dry or machine dry? Do you notice the stain before drying? Before ironing?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ It sounds like washing off the stain isn't the problem; it's the fact that it is mysteriously recurring.

Do you hang-dry or machine dry? Do you notice the stain before drying? Before ironing?

Machine dry. I haven't looked to see if it's there before drying- I'll check tonight. It is there before I iron the shirt.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Machine dry. I haven't looked to see if it's there before drying- I'll check tonight. It is there before I iron the shirt.

Ah. Here's a theory: the washing cycle fails to rinse out all the detergent in your shirts, which gathers at your collar points in a higher density than elsewhere, so when heat is applied in the dryer, the detergent oxidizes and the points turn brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads