• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

direct sunlight for cleaning delicates

danyllau

Reaction score
As the sun is shining strong now, i often put some of my stuff that i don't always wash under direct sunlight for half an hour. It wouldn't remove dirt, but I was told strong sunlight is quite effective in killing some odor casuing micro-organism.

Anyone has particular problems with doing this to certain fabric or materials?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may fade your clothing while your at it too, depending on what it is...

Just a thought.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I hang my white shirts up to dry in the summer all the time. Works great and the white stays nice and bright.

AK47AZ

Reaction score
I don't think it helps as much as you might think. I put my smelly jeans outside for a few days one time and they were in bright sun all day and even that wouldn't get the smell out, I ended up having to machine wash them a few times. It works for light smells in t-shirts and stuff but not heavy worn-in smells.

I like sun-drying certain t-shirts that I want to fade out and get a vintage look.

Glory Daze

Reaction score
It's good for killing bacteria and making my shirts feel fresh. I like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads