1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomats give up adopted child after having their own

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by texas_jack, Dec 12, 2007.

1. riveroaks

riveroaks Senior member

2. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

"It’s just a very terrible trauma that everyone’s experiencing,” he was quoted as saying. “It is something we have to deal with" - Isnt it great the way he describes what he has done as his trauma. He ought to be horsewhipped in a public square.
    I can take care of this situation. Anyone has a phone number for Woody Allen?

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

The rhetorics going here is awesome.

I mean, come on, we all know that if given a choice in adoption, the choice of "color" would be white over any shades of colors, probably along the line of white > pale asian > darker asian > black. This is especially true in the US, and I'm sure not too far from the truth elsewhere.

Yes, I'm in agreement that the situation is less than desirable, and quite f*ucked up, but human beings will do what please them the most. And if that means giving back a "yellow" Asian kid when one's desire for a presumably "white" baby is fulfilled, than so be it.

Look at it this way, imagine the shabby treatments this 7 year old Korean girl will get in the hands of these diplomats if they had kept her, knowing full well she's less than desirable and only fulfilling a temporary need for a child until the right one comes along.

4. cd1

cd1 Active Member

fuck those scumbags

5. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Look at it this way, imagine the shabby treatments this 7 year old Korean girl will get in the hands of these diplomats if they had kept her, knowing full well she's less than desirable and only fulfilling a temporary need for a child until the right one comes along.

I think everyone recognizes this, and I certainly wouldn't advocate forcing the parents to keep the girl--far from it. The outrage at the parents' feelings of disposability w/r/t a "wanted" child--and probably the perceived effects of that attitude on parenting the biological children--is what animates the rhetoric.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Unless there is something we're not being told (like the kid is seriously mentally disturbed, possessed by the devil, a danger to the other children) then this is pretty low and reprehensible.

no matter what the problem is with this girl, they took her, they can't just return her. I imagine that they wouldn't give up one of their biological kids because he/she had problems, so they shouldn't give up the adopted kid.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Well now, another article came out [​IMG] Raymond Poeteray and his wife Meta.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

"The adoption didn't work out." WTF??
    "Sorry, kid, they're just not into you." I guess the silver lining is that being raised by these fuckheads probably wouldn't have been so hot for this little girl in the long run, so in a perverse way she may end up better off.
    wow mark your sister is a great person. but i cant help to think about what she/their family is going to go through when he gets a little bit older. theres no way he wont have some kind of self esteem issues etc. i know im being pessimistic but i have a feeling its going to be really, really difficult. people go through way less and turn out totally messed up because of it,.
    As Mark said, you're probably being overly pessimistic. We all have trauma and the like in our lives to various degrees, and anyone who has never had self esteem issues must have skipped junior high. Having a loving and supportive family is going to count for a lot, and I'd get on a kid in that situation than a kid raised by shitty, neglectful or abusive birth parents any day.
    The rhetorics going here is awesome.

I mean, come on, we all know that if given a choice in adoption, the choice of "color" would be white over any shades of colors, probably along the line of white > pale asian > darker asian > black. This is especially true in the US, and I'm sure not too far from the truth elsewhere.

Yes, I'm in agreement that the situation is less than desirable, and quite f*ucked up, but human beings will do what please them the most. And if that means giving back a "yellow" Asian kid when one's desire for a presumably "white" baby is fulfilled, than so be it.

No, we don't "all know" that kids become less desirable or lovable as their skin tone darkens. The color of a kid's skin may matter to you -- and a fair number of other people. But it would be a matter of complete indifference to many others. Had my wife and I not been able to conceive biologically and went the adoption route, we wouldn't have cared about the color of the baby's skin. I know plenty of other folks who feel the same way.

I don't know what "so be it" means in this context. Yes, some people would "give back" a yellow baby. Some people torture animals, abuse children, mug old ladies for drug money or for kicks, etc. I don't think the appropriate reaction is to say "they're just pleasing themselves, so be it" or to label the contempt many people would feel and express toward such behavior as "rhetorics".