• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dior Jacket Question…

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I am considering the following jacket and had a couple of questions; I'm hoping some of you guys don't mind helping me out.

http://www.luisaviaroma.com/ecnew/Co...odArticolo=155

I'm 6' tall and have a normal trunk/ torso ratio, how are the torsos cut on Dior Jackets?

I measure 42"/ 16.5", I am not sure what this converts to in Italian sizing. (Does any have a good sizing link for that matter?)

Lastly are there any alternatives for purchasing current Dior items other than Luisa via Roma? The prices on certain items seem a little high.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Rome

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
The prices on certain items seem a little high.
Perhaps that's because you're buying Dior Homme items...?

Luisa's prices on Dior jeans, at least, are pretty much better than anyone else's.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Luisa's prices are standard retail or sometimes slightly below.. which isn't that bad for Dior Homme since they go for higher than retail at resale sometimes.

The jackets have a pretty short torso, and that's part of their appeal. They're about the length of t-shirts... and I suppose a 42 chest would be size 52 IT.

Let me know if there's something else to help with.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Be aware that the company ships by FedEx, which requires government agencies to contact you with taxes for fabric importation.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Thanks Brian and LK for the info. One last thing, I ask about the sizing because I recall a post where LA Guy mentioned that the -10 rule was a fallacy. But all the conversion charts I have found seem to support this, for example a 50it in pants shouldn't equal to a 40us but that's what they amount to. Any help with this?

Thanks again,
R.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIK 48 is small, 50 is medium, 52 large and so on. Italian sizing for trousers has size 48 = 32 inch waist, 50 = 34, 52 = 36 and so on.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
AFAIK 48 is small, 50 is medium, 52 large and so on. Italian sizing for trousers has size 48 = 32 inch waist, 50 = 34, 52 = 36 and so on.

Nope. In European sizing, a medium corresponds to a 48 Eu. 50 Eu is *usually* closer to 33 waist. For suits, 50 Eu is closer to 39 than to 40. There is an imperial to metric conversion, which is linear but not parallel, so the 10 difference for all sizes is convenient fiction.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Is the proper way to convert Euro sizes to multiply by two then convert?

i.e. 50 euro = 100 => 39.37 inch. Likewise, 40 US = 101.6/2 = 50.8 euro.

Oh and don't most european suits have an 8 inch drop?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrojanGarb
Is the proper way to convert Euro sizes to multiply by two then convert? i.e. 50 euro = 100 => 39.37 inch. Likewise, 40 US = 101.6/2 = 50.8 euro. Oh and don't most european suits have an 8 inch drop?
That is closer, yes. And most European suits have a nominal 7 inch drop.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and pretty much all Dior Homme stuff is on sale (about 40% off) at Barney's right now. There are also some items (mainly shirts, I think) at eluxury.com and scoopnyc.com (surprisingly) on sale as well

Verb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Thanks Brian and LK for the info. One last thing, I ask about the sizing because I recall a post where LA Guy mentioned that the -10 rule was a fallacy. But all the conversion charts I have found seem to support this, for example a 50it in pants shouldn't equal to a 40us but that's what they amount to. Any help with this?

The Dior pieces are literally all over the charts on sizing on a per season basis. From what I recall, VotC and Lustre run big while the 05 stuff ran small. I haven't heard anything about 06 whatsoever. Make sure you get exact measurements from them via e-mail before ordering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads