• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dior Homme F/W 08/09

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Oh I never pay attention to those.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Oh I never pay attention to those.

Well they're much bigger than before, I hardly pay attention except when it means the shape of the clothes will be different. Not that I was planning to purchase any dior but still, collection looks like beefcake plokhov versace with wannabe thom browne distilling americana jackets.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KVA disappoints...
again...

v0rtex

Reaction score
Interesting-ish, but didn't see anything there that sent me ga-ga like the pre-05 collections either on an aesthetic level (Solitaire) or a wearability level (VOTC).

Who is this stuff even aimed at? I don't recall any of the young trad-goth dandies I've ever met having any interest in fashionista labels or enough money to buy this stuff.

At least KVA can wear one of those leather jackets when he's on his motorcycle. You know, jumping over that shark.

Hugo

Reaction score
Well, I like two of the fits' a lot:
00290m.jpg
Like the jacket, a lot.
00310m.jpg
Like the sneaks and the costume, pretty wierd though.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex

Who is this stuff even aimed at? I don't recall any of the young trad-goth dandies I've ever met having any interest in fashionista labels or enough money to buy this stuff.

There will be plenty of jeans, tees and sneakers for people to afford.

Originally Posted by Hugo

00310m.jpg

I see he is buying Jil Sander fabric from F/W 07.

Hugo

Reaction score
At SoCal: Indeed, and I like the Jil Sander suit better than this but, well, both are nice.

southgate house

Reaction score
I think this is terrible. The black, black, blackness of it looks like he was trying to add portent and seriousness to clothes that don't stand on their own. There's no purity of vision here. If you look at Raf's, Thom's, or Margiela's clothes, you see a really strong, distinct aesthetic vision. This stuff is just all over the place. Looks like what a 13 year old would think is cool.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
There will be plenty of jeans, tees and sneakers for people to afford.

But obviously not good enough to put on the runway...

DH's appeal to me was precisely because it took basics like jeans, tees and sneakers and elevated them to couture levels of quality and design. The pieces seemed to capture rock and roll/youth culture and elevate it to high art. Sure you were spending $150 on a t-shirt, but at least you knew it was the best damn t-shirt in the entire world.

Now it seems to have lost it's way, with unwearable goth-dandyism on the catwalk and crappy Turkish-made generic uniforms for Eurotrash in the stores. Bah.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

DH's appeal to me was precisely because it took basics like jeans, tees and sneakers and elevated them to couture levels of quality and design. The pieces seemed to capture rock and roll/youth culture and elevate it to high art. Sure you were spending $150 on a t-shirt, but at least you knew it was the best damn t-shirt in the entire world.

...not really. A tshirt with a graphic design on it really isn't a "couture" level design. The quality really wasn't there either...the cottons were hardly that soft or luxe. The jeans, tees and sneakers offer them a very high profit margin and are much more accessible to people...it's what helps them put on runway shows and to take hits to their GM on runway pieces that may never sell.

Babar

Reaction score
But obviously not good enough to put on the runway...

The t-shirts were never really couture level anything. Dior Homme's shtick was always their formal wear. Look back at the first few collections, or even the F/W 06 show which was a return to the roots after a few street culture inspired collections, and you'll see suits, blazers, tailcoats, tuxedos etc in luxe materials, top notch construction and spot-on cuts. That was indeed sort of an haute couture for men, but the sneakers and jeans never were. Granted, it was the rock'n'roll look which took the brand mainstream, and a lot of these items were/are really nice and wearable, but as has been mentioned they served as entry level admission tickets more than anything else.

chim

Reaction score
I think this looks like trash. Did KVA steal the fits from Versace or something? what happened to the razor edged tailoring you could expect from DH? Why are they squeezing beefcake models into sausage pants?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks it all looks the same?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads