1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

DiNocera- Tailor shop in Napoli. My shirt and pant buying experience.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AmericanGent, Jun 1, 2013.

1. simondg

simondg Active Member

Looks fantastic.

2. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

Looks great, I'd probably go for slightly wider cuffs since I sometimes wear larger watches.

3. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Thank you clapeyron,

My left cuff has been made a touch wider to accommodate my watch. My daily beater watch is a thin Skagen- so it's not a big difference, but in my fittings with both Anna Matuozzo and Cosimo they have asked me which arm I wear my watch and how large it is. Standard practice maybe?

I'm not wearing my watch in these pictures - because it was Sunday morning and I was wearing PJ's and having my morning cafe about 5 min prior.

Do you think that there is too much fabric near my moobs? That's what I see in these pics- but the shirt feels great and has a great range of motion, so I'm not sure if it should be messed with.

4. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

You have to launder it a few times to see how it shrinks before you can judge the fit. BTW you should show him (the store proprietor) the shirt for his opinion. That is what you pay him for. What you learn from these interactions go to determine how good he is.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  5. mans72

mans72 Well-Known Member

thanks, great post. I'm surprised he told you he can only do 2 suits a month (@ 1K a pop)...how do you make a living and have such a nice boutique (saw their web site) with 2 suits made per month???
    I'm planning a trip in Naples and would consider them but not at a pace of 2 suits/month, they'd probably have a huge backlog.

6. AmericanGent

He said can only do 2 fully bespoke, hand sewn suits a month I believe. He also does machine sewn with hand finishing. I will ask for clarification.
    If you would like to get more details on this I'd be glad to ask him for you. Let me know what timeline you are working with and I'll ask if he can do it.
    I'll just have to use my iPad and Bing Translate to make sure I get it right.

7. AmericanGent

To everyone who is reading and considering using Gennaro- I just want to make it clear that I have no business affiliation with him or any other tailor in Napoli.

If I offer to help anyone it is just that...being helpful. I'd like other SF members to get a good deal and of course I'd like to see Gennaro get some business so he will be able to stay open and make more shirts for me... but I stand to gain nothing.

Just wanted to be clear about that.

If any of you are coming to Napoli feel free to PM me I will try to hook you up however I can. I can meet you and show you the shops I know of, etc. I am always glad to get into the city and visit tailors and men's clothing shops!

1 person likes this.
  8. mans72

mans72 Well-Known Member

that is very kind of you, thank you.

I will take you up on your offer when I come during the summer!

9. razl

razl Senior member

I just wanted to add that I really hope newer, similarly real-world-sized members take note of your post - you can be less than model skinny and still look great if you get clothes that fit you well. That doesn't necessarily mean bespoke (though it probably doesn't hurt) it means finding and developing a rapport with a tailor that works well for you. Congrats to AmericanGent for scoring a great local resource that seems to be playing out well for him, but here's hoping others who may be challenged and frustrated see this and take heart - this is looking damn good and, yes, you can do it too; even if you're like me and can't make it to Napoli. AmericanGent: I'm playing off your willingness and openness in dealing with reality and hoping it's not lost on others, I'm not picking on you (if it helps, I'm still clinging on to a 33w but the real world is catching up with me and a set of moobs are prob in my future too).

10. dopey

dopey Senior member

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting.

2 people like this.
  11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Really enjoying your threads, AG. Thanks for making them.

Curious, is there anything else in that part of town?

12. GusW

GusW Senior member

Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences.

13. AmericanGent

No worries- when I was in my 20s I was slim and dashing.

I'm not obese or anything, just carrying a little extra. I flux between 220-230 and I'm just shy of 6'1". I'm a 46 or 48R and wear 38-40 pants, depending on the brand.

But like you said, even bigger guys like me should wear well-fitted clothes. It actually makes you look much better than if you are wearing oversized clothes to hide your body. Of course, if you have a big belly that hangs over your belt there's not many tailors who can help you with that. I'd suggest Dr. Atkins. He can help!
    When I was living in the US I had my shirts MTM from Nordstrom and Talbott and while they were not at the level of the neapolotian shirts, they were quite nice and fit well. I'd highly recommend all bigger guys go MTM and become familiar with your tailor. Even MTM items can be finished at a tailor.
    Fit is king. Whatever your size.

14. AmericanGent

No problem, I enjoy it...glad you are too!

No, not really. There is a shop next door but it's all OTR suits and shirts. Decent, but not the good stuff.

15. AmericanGent

Thank you PSG. Hopefully I'll be able to keep posting new place...as long as the money holds out!

16. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Great thread - many thanks! The convertible cuff is a great idea, but does that not necessarily mean that the width of the cuff varies when using it as barrel cuff vs single cuff?

17. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

+1

18. AmericanGent

There is a difference when I use the cuff link. The cuff becomes wider and so the sleeve gets longer. I think that after washing and taking it back this could be solved. Either by the washing or by taking the sleeves up a bit.

I'll see how it plays out.

19. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Many thanks - that makes sense. Not sure how you can fix that though; if it shrinks or gets taken in, won't it be too tight for the barrel cuff? I guess there's just no perfect world.

20. AmericanGent

I think that if there is less length in the sleeve it would seem like the sleeve would be unable to hang too long. But it's uncharted waters for me, so I'll just take it a step at a time. Thanks