1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dinner Recs in Chicago

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by MrG, Nov 23, 2009.

1. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Beyond Thai, here are my food and bar rec's for Chicago:

Al's Beef
    Chicago style hot dog (just about anywhere will do, but if you want gourmet save yourself the wait and do Franks n Dawgs instead of Hot Doug's)
    Xoco (churros and tortas)
    Tacos al Pastor and guacamole from Los Comales on Milwaukee Ave
    Chocolate shake from Oberweis
    Big & Little's (burgers, truffle fries, po boys)
    A steak. Morton's original location at State/Rush (raspberry souffle) or Chicago Chop House (wedge salad and cheesy potatoes are great).
    Drink a Goose Island Root Beer
    Purple Pig (braised pork shoulder, neck bone gravy, fried deviled eggs, crispy kale are all great)
    Crisp for Korean style chicken wings (Seoul sassy flavor)
    Charlie Beinlich's in Northbrook for a burger if you venture to the burbs
    For avant garde dining, Schwa or TRU (can't endorse Alinea as I have yet to go)
    Urban Belly
    Original pancake house (preferably Walker Bros in Wilmette)
    Twin Anchors (ribs)
    Smoque (for the brisket)
    Gilt Bar for food or drinks

Bar DeVille
    Carol's Bar on the weekends for live Country & Western
    Kingston Mines
    Old Town Ale House

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Welcome Deepitm -

Question - what do you think of Opart Thai? I happen to be a big fan of Prik King - and theirs is particularly good IMO.

RE: your other recs -

Steak - I'm one of the few people who would agree with you about original Mortons, but I absolutely despise Chicago Chop House. There is much better around, and if you haven't been to DB Primehouse, you should go.

I'm curious what you find special about old town ale house, unless you are a rugger.

Rootbeer - Goose Island is good, but if you can get your hands on Gale Gand's root beer, it's one of the best I've ever had. Also - it's been mentioned before, but the 11pm dessert only is the way to go at TRU.

Twin Anchors has cachet, but the ribs are meh - Chicago Q is best I've had at this point.

3. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Re: ChicagoRon's comments ^.

Sorry, I cannot give a critique on Opart as I have never been. But I've heard it's good and I looked at the menu which looks legit. I will let you know when I check it out.

Yeah, Chicago Chop House is very polarizing. I don't think it's out of this world, but I find that it does a bit of differentiation in terms of the sides and appetizers, while still maintaining a traditional "Chicago steakhouse" atmosphere. I intended to suggest it to a tourist looking for that atmosphere while also getting a good steak (I dunno, maybe you've had bad steaks there? I've always been pleased). But DB Primehouse certainly differentiates itself, and it's good, but just not traditional. Almost Vegas-y? Don't mean that as an insult.

Old Town Ale House is something of a dump, but it has character, and I can appreciate that - but I can see how that's not for everyone. It kinda feels like a time warp with all the beer-soaked, old wood in there. But it's mostly a bar for those under 40.

Will have to check out this supreme root beer.

Again, Twin Anchors is a recommendation for those looking for a "Chicago" experience, but not necessarily a joint I'd go to on a regular basis. I liked Chicago Q's ribs, but didn't love them (maybe because I was stuffed with other BBQ dishes before the ribs arrived). But they are award winning so I think that speaks for itself.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tired of Chicago Q after the 3rd visit. Best dish I tried there was the hominy salad but didn't try the ribs.

Anyone been to Lilly Q's on North Ave.? Worth a visit?

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Chris .. I have to give you a :facepalm: for going to a barbeque place that features "award winning ribs" three times and not trying the "award winning ribs".

The jalapeno hush puppies are also quite awesome. Maybe I'm partial b/c I can walk there, but it's becoming a regular thursday night thing for me when I fly home.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  6. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior member

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

in Evanston there is addis Abada on Chicago, I enjoyed it, but I am no expert on ethiopian. the staff is very helpful.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

we go to sticky rice. I like it

9. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Do Spoon or Sticky Rice make a good prik king? How spicy is their spicy?

10. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Have not had pad prik king at either place. If I do, I'll let you know.

11. Despos

The 3 visits were for lunch and wasn't in the mood for ribs. It's close enough, I walk there from the store. Will meet up some Thursday night. This week and next won't work but two weeks from now would work.

What do you think of the pork shoulder for $305.00? Know anyone who has done that? Maybe we could find 18 other people and give it a go.

12. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

+1 on pane caldo for lunch. Risotto is great, as is the pasta primavera and the pan seared prosciutto, goat cheese, and spinach. Personally not a fan of their pizza, but even the burger is very good. For the area a very fair price, and much cheaper than going to pane caldo for dinner.

13. Despos

At Pane Caldo I stick to the pastas, risotto and the gnocchi is really good. They make some of my favorite soups in Chicago. Agree, the pizza is at best mediocre. I always eat too much of the olive tapenade and tomato. My favorite menu item was an appetizer of a hollow vidalia onion stuffed with chicken and sausage with wilted greens and a touch of tomato sauce.

14. furosemide

furosemide Senior member

Hey Chris,

I love Ethiopian, and there is a nice selection in Chicago, mostly north (Uptown, Edgewater, Evanston). I've been to Demera, Diamond, Lalibela, Mama Desta's, and Ras Dashen.
    My favorite by far, in terms of quality of food, consistency and atmosphere is Ras Dashen. I've been going there since I came to Chicago about 5 years ago, and they have become much more popular as of recent (Ethiopian seems to be the trendy cuisine du jour). This means two things: 1) it has become more crowded and a little less easy to just walk in and get a table 2) they seem to have responded to the demand and gotten a lot more waitstaff, which has improved service significantly on busy nights.
    I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I do know that they now have a bartender (which they didn't some time back) and there is a longer list of wines as well as cocktails. That said, my fiance ordered a Malbec the other night and she found it rather disgusting. They did get her a cocktail instead, which she loved. In other words, come here for the food.

Anyway, my recommendation would be the Assa tibs (my absolute favorite) and the Sega wat.

Enjoy!

15. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Decided on Schwa for the occasion I've been asking about...
    Now I need to manage to get reservations and hope they don't cancel on me.

16. SField

SField Senior member

Don't get it after a weekend... less cancellations then. I'd have a backup, to be perfectly honest.

17. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Schwa hasn't answered their phones and their voice mail has been full for over a month, we've been trying to get a reservation since the end of July. Good luck...

18. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

^ Well, thanks for the luck, because I'll be at Schwa at 6 PM tomorrow night :slayer:

19. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Looks like we are all set for Schwa on October 28th, now I just hope they are actually open and don't cancel on us...

20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

If they do cancel, I hope they at least give you a call to let you know. They canceled on me a couple of weeks ago, and didn't call. I showed up at the appointed time all giddy and excited only to be told they decided to close and thought everyone had been called. I'm still pissed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011