• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Recs in Chicago

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schwa just blew my mind and I found it much more enjoyable than Alinea, please hate away and I am also bias because of several major factors, but in the end they only charged me half-price on my total bill and I ended up taking shots of Buffalo Trace in the kitchen with the chef...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Why did you get the 50% discount?

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea actually, we walked in and the music playing the in the dining room was an album done by a friend of mine that was recorded at one of my old apartments (Qwel & Maker: The Harvest), I then hand over a bottle of Buffalo Trace for the kitchen and also the beers I brought for dinner (Goose Island Madame Rose, Lolita, Juliet, The Bruery Oude Tart, Founders Backwoods Bastard and KBS.) We ordered the 9-course option (we wound up with 13 total) and the fun began, the servers were awesome and high as hell, we kept doing shots and talking about music. Any beer we didn't finish, we passed right along on to the kitchen, dinner took almost 4 hours and in the end everyone wished me a happy birthday.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Sounds like you had a really great time there.

deepitm

Reaction score
I think Schwa is good. But it's quite affected in how much it tries to rebel against the mainstream. It's actually a bit childish. Not really cool that the servers are "high as hell" as Tooch indicated, not really cool that they blare music, not really cool that they're so inconsistent with keeping their commitments. I think it's this thing where wealthy people think they're acting as patrons to these starving artists and as a result get some sort of dinner theater with a look into how the other half lives. The food is still very, very good. But the attitude is kind of off-putting - as off-putting as the high end dining it's seemingly trying to rebel against.

Edit: grammar error

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think Schwa is good. But it's quite affected in how much it tries to rebel against the mainstream. It's actually a bit childish. Not really cool that the servers are "high as hell" as Tooch indicated, not really cool that they blare music, not really cool that they're so inconsistent with keeping their commitments. I think it's this thing where wealthy people think their acting as patrons to these starving artists and as a result get some sort of dinner theater with a look into how the other half lives. The food is still very, very good. But the attitude is kind of off-putting - as off-putting as the high end dining it's seemingly trying to rebel against.

I tend to agree, though I really liked it there a year or so ago. At the time, I thought the meal was on par with, if not better than, Alinea. However, because of my recent experience of showing up to find them closed, and for them to be unapologetic about it, I'll never go back.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Longman & Eagle with my mom for my Bday, surprisingly really good, idk about Michelin star good, but for the price not bad at all.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just had dinner at Sepia, that was fantastic.

jonuiuc

Reaction score
Funny I live about 30 feet away from Longman and Eagle. I find the food hit or miss, it is creative but I think the kitchen is too small and the food suffers when they are busy. I've taken a fancy to Owen and Engine, about half a mile away, nice little English-inspired gastropub. If you are just visiting Chicago and don't mind going to lunch at 10am, I'd give Hot Doug's a try, you won't regret it. Also Arun's Thai is a nice change-up for you fine-dining foodies into 7-12 course meals. Those are my recommendations near my neighborhood, but most visitors will stay in the downtown/north lakeside areas anyway.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody try Balena yet?

Pat

Reaction score
finally got through to schwa today, going in less than two weeks as long as they don't cancel. anyone know what the price is currently?

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

finally got through to schwa today, going in less than two weeks as long as they don't cancel. anyone know what the price is currently?

The 9-course tasting menu should be $115 per person, but you'll at least get one extra course which should be their famous quail egg ravioli. They also have a $3 per person "corkage" fee, but you are by no means limited on how many bottles you can bring. Being a beer nerd myself I brought Goose Island's "Three Sisters", Madame Rose, Juliet and Lolita, The Bruery Oude Tart, Founders Backwoods Bastard and KBS. I'd highly suggest you bring some type of booze for the kitchen, especially something in the bourbon family, you can thank me later for that tip...

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought my last issue of Time Out said it had... my bad. No, have not been to Bistronomics... good?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads