1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dinner Recs in Chicago

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by MrG, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Yeah eds was/is great. Supposedly half the kitchen left and started down the street at northern city, which is great as well.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Had a nice 3-day weekend trip to Chicago. Ate at Del Frisco, Spiaggia, and Next. Spiaggia was great, the other two were awful. Next was most disappointing because of all the hype, and also because I really like Alinea.

3. otc

otc Senior member

I've yet to go myself, but you are the second person this week to say that next was a little disappointing

4. rms340

rms340 Senior member

+1 to this. Have been a few times. Twice with a fairly large group and once with just my gf. Food and atmosphere is great.

1 person likes this.
  5. jungleroller

Went to Honey butter fried Chicken finally. Fuckin yum! Pimento Mac and cheese yes please! along with everything else of course.

6. otc

otc Senior member

I thought it was kind of mediocre. I mean, it was a good sandwich, but it is pretty out of the way and was kind of expensive. Do they still have lines at prime times? Because it is definitely not worth a line.

If it were within walking distance, I might eat there more often, but if I gotta go further, I would prefer to go for the sandwich at crisp or even at chick-fil-a (which lacks the accoutrements but makes a juicier piece of fried chicken)

Did like the small corn muffins though... It was like Mediterranean places that let you but individual falafel. You know you want some but you don't want to be forced to get a whole side of half a dozen (or a huge piece of cornbread) since you are already eating a bunch of food.

7. jungleroller

8. otc

otc Senior member

That one I don't think is mediocre. Been meaning to ride my bike down there sometime this fall before it gets cold.

1 person likes this.
  9. otc

otc Senior member

Michelin guide is out and gave Grace all 3 stars.

I've still been wanting to go, but this will probably make it more difficult.

Alinea kept 3, 42 Grams was introduced at 2 (and is BYOB and up the street from me...I may have to go). No other real changes except Mexique lost its star due to inconsistency...not surprising as it wasn't very good when I went there).

10. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

Yea I was planning on going to Grace within the next year because I heard how good it was and it seemed a bit underrated. Well, now it's no longer underrated and much harder to get a table for!

11. otc

otc Senior member

I am sure it will die down relatively quickly. There aren't *that* many people willing to spend that money on dinner, and people tend to have fairly short memories. After trying a couple times and discovering all of the tables are gone, they will stop looking. I mean...it isn't that hard to get a table at Alinea in advance unless you specifically want some popular night.

12. otc

otc Senior member

This makes me want to go to 42 grams even more:

2 people like this.
  13. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Senior member

I have a ticket to go in a few weeks. Can't wait.

14. otc

otc Senior member

I see they have a website offering last minute tickets. They got wiped out pretty quickly following the star list announcement, but when I first looked, there were several nights with single tickets available at both the Chef's counter and the communal table.

Wonder what it would be like going there alone...but since it is super close to my apartment, I could see myself buying a single last minute ticket instead of going to the grocery store on a night with nothing else going on.