1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dinner party at a partner's house

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lomezz, Oct 17, 2004.

1. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

aramg--

I'm afraid I'm going to have to stand corrected (re "informal")--and if you knew how painful that is. . . .  

I will note in my defense, however, that "informal" attire for evening wedding parties is--at least in my neighborhood--black tie.  Not that there are all that many evening wedding parties. . . .

I haven't seen the word "semi-formal" in a long, long time.  (Has it become hopelessly declasse, like "semi-classical"?)  But I seem to remember its appearing, several lifetimes ago, on invitations to the (suburban) Assemblies, to which, I think, most boys of my generation wore dark business suits.  (But could have, and should have, worn black tie.)

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's surprising how few men know these conventions anymore.  Everyone on the board knows by now that my style might have been formally described as "working in the mines" a century ago.  Nevertheless, it is useful to know even the conventions one does not adhere to.  

KidKim, these days, a semi-formal refers to an event to which undergraduates wear khakis and blue blazers, and usually an oxford buttondown.  And loafers.  I know it would pain you...

Fixed a typo.

3. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

And a remarkable statement it will be, alright. It might just remarkable me out of  job  [​IMG]

4. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

No, no, LA Guy. That's the other fellow--and he's no longer with us. I'm crazy about loafers with practically anything--and, to prove it, I plan to post a drop dead portrait of me in my Oxxford glen plaid suit (SartorialSolutions), white MTM Brioni dress shirt, Talbott Best in Class tie, and black Alden shell cordovan tassel slip-ons.

5. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

LA Guy, I think Vanity Fair magazine has just described this look well: "haute gas station attendant" Â [​IMG]

6. LA Guy

Those are the guys who wear a lot of DSquared. (Seriously, that label ran out of ideas in a hurry. Did we need another season of "Diner" shirts?) I prefer "Designer Mall Rat".

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm, I've seen the following divisions lately:

Business Casual: Slacks/Khakis, Oxford/Polo, Blazer optional.
    Semi Formal: Business suit, tie
    Formal: Black Tie

Does that make sense or is there just a huge varying definition of semi-formal?

8. LA Guy

This is a good summary of how terms are used my most people, now. However, the traditional divisions (for evening - if we have to get into daytime functions, things just get unnecessarily complicated for the purposes of this thread) are:

Formal - white tie (tails)
    Semiformal - Black tie
    Informal - business suit
    Casual - odd jacket and trousers.

Going without a jacket was pretty much unheard of. A shirt is seen primarily as an *undergarment* if you will. The jacket and trousers are the clothing. That's why, in lots of traditional men's shops, shirting is separated from the tailored clothing section.

There is no business casual, traditionally. That was an excuse for no-style execs to wear polo shirts tucked into their pleated chinos.