• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner of champions

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saint
Maybe you were strongly affected by A Streetcar Named Desire, and you have to defend Stella no matter what, but your devotion to a brand which is not your first choice is kind of weird.

It's not a devotion to Stella, it's an opposition to beer snobs.

So what's actually wrong with Stella? 'It's like Miller but more expensive' isn't even a defensible argument unless you quite literally have no tongue to taste the obvious differences. Hell, I don't even think I need a tongue to taste the difference. Stella is better in every way.

Your comparison to Pilsner Urquell (a beer similarly priced but distinctly different) doesn't make much sense at all. The negligible difference in price you cite (by the way, Stella's cheaper around here) still doesn't mean Stella is somehow 'worse'. It's different enough from Stella for me to be able to enjoy both separately. My go-to pilsner as I mentioned before is Tyskie, which I think is different enough from the other two (heavier than Pilsner Urquell and more bitter than Stella) to stock alongside both.

I also prefer Basil Hayden's to Evan Williams but I stock both. I like Glenmorangie but still have Laphroaig.

Calling Stella crap because it isn't a Trappist ale or heavy stout (which seems common among Murikin beer snobs) is a projective expression of virility and not a statement of taste.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
The meal of Belgian transsexuals, perhaps

They don't even drink beer from a green bottle.
lol8[1].gif

tdangio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

So what's actually wrong with Stella? 'It's like Miller but more expensive' isn't even a defensible argument unless you quite literally have no tongue to taste the obvious differences. Hell, I don't even think I need a tongue to taste the difference. Stella is better in every way.

Your comparison to Pilsner Urquell (a beer similarly priced but distinctly different) doesn't make much sense at all. The negligible difference in price you cite (by the way, Stella's cheaper around here) still doesn't mean Stella is somehow 'worse'. It's different enough from Stella for me to be able to enjoy both separately. My go-to pilsner as I mentioned before is Tyskie, which I think is different enough from the other two (heavier than Pilsner Urquell and more bitter than Stella) to stock alongside both.

I also prefer Basil Hayden's to Evan Williams but I stock both. I like Glenmorangie but still have Laphroaig.

Calling Stella crap because it isn't a Trappist ale or heavy stout (which seems common among Murikin beer snobs) is a projective expression of virility and not a statement of taste.

It's a mediocre pilsner that a bunch of marsupials think makes them look like they know something. It's the Bud of Europe, not something special enough to pay that price for.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saint
Because Sam's overcharged people who didn't know anything about wine. If you know what you are doing Binny's is one of the great places to buy wine in the US.

It means you are wasting your time defending a crap brew like Stella. I just don't understand why you are so personally vested in defending this brand. While I am personally amused at your loyalty to something so mediocre, I understand that we all have our guilty pleasures, for instance I really like Skippy Chunky Peanut Butter. Its just hard to understand why you think something that is marginally better than Miller but almost 50% more expensive is worth arguing about. I mean if Jif or Peter Pan was that much cheaper than Skippy, I'd buy them, no question.

Maybe you were strongly affected by A Streetcar Named Desire, and you have to defend Stella no matter what, but your devotion to a brand which is not your first choice is kind of weird.

You're a tool. Don't get all pissy because why called you out on being a wanna be pretentious beer snob. What's funnier is your commitment to talking **** about Stella.

Originally Posted by melwoesblvd
stella is nicknamed the beater in the uk for a reason

Fack ya!

K

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tdangio
It's a mediocre pilsner that a bunch of marsupials think makes them look like they know something. It's the Bud of Europe, not something special enough to pay that price for.
Do you have some kind of saporous synaesthesia that causes your social bitterness to be manifested on your palate? If by 'that price' you mean the standard price for any macrobrew import? Only the Eastern European beers tend to be cheaper, and the difference is often smoothed over by sales and rebates anyway.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
You're a tool. Don't get all pissy because why called you out on being a wanna be pretentious beer snob. What's funnier is your commitment to talking **** about Stella.
K

Apparently you have trouble with reading comprehension, I didn't say anything snobby about microbrews, I just said Stella sucks, which it does. It takes a real douchebag to comment on a thread when he doesn't even understand the issue involved. As for Why calling me out, who cares, he wants to drink an overpriced sucky beer, I have no problem with that, I just find it funny that he cares so much.

Now go back to playing with your nuts squirrel boy.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

I didn't compare Stella to anything other than lagers, and it still sucks. I don't think I am a beer snob, because I like a very wide variety of beers, and if Stella was significantly cheaper than other similar beers it might be ok to drink occasionally, but at a premium you'd have to be an idiot to buy it. I still fail to understand why you are so invested in defending it, and why you took it so personally from the start.

As far as being a snob goes, I think your use of the term Murikin says all that needs to be said on the matter of being a snob. Perhaps I am a beer snob, but you seem to be a nation snob, so lets compare damage done to the world by disagreements over taste in beer to the damage done by chauvinists. Something tells me you'll lose.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've become a beer snob over the last year and still drink stella on a regular basis with a mediocre meal since I get it for free from my sister in law. For a session beer it simply will not do, but paired with pizza and burgers it has its place.

RE: connies meal, what do you guys expect from an irishmen? They consider a pint of guiness as a "meal"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads