• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Jacket Wedding Opinions

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Hey guys. After my last post you all have been very helpful and I ended up going to Nordstrom Rack in Bellevue and found a couple outfits and would like your opinions before I pull the trigger. I've tried the search function and didn't find anything relating to this so please don't hurt me too bad if I'm being redundant...

One of them is a ($399) HSM and the other is a ($159) JW Nordstrom. Both are tuxedos (dinner jackets). Both fit relatively well and am curious if the HSM is worth the extra money.

Also when I take it to the tailor what should I look for to make this thing fit perfectly? I don't want it to turn into a "oh we can shorten the sleeves and hem the pants and there you go!" I want this thing to fit me very well. After I purchase it I'll post pictures online to see what you guys think.

Lastly, I was curious if a white MTM dress shirt with a standard collar, neck tie and pocket square would be appropriate for this outfit. Thanks for your input fellas!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're wearing black tie, get a tux shirt (I prefer pique front with a regular turndown collar to the pleated or either kind with the wing collar) and wear a bowtie.

If fit is the same, and you can't see a noticeable difference in quality, go with the cheaper one. I;ve only looked at them briefly (no Nordstrom in NYC) but the JW Nordstrom items didn't seem bad, probably same quality as HSM.

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
what are the styles? are they 1 button peak lapel with no vents?
Both are Notch Lapels (I know, I know). Both with Center Vents. The HSM is a 1 button and the JW Nordstrom is a 2 button.
Originally Posted by chorse123
If you're wearing black tie, get a tux shirt (I prefer pique front with a regular turndown collar to the pleated or either kind with the wing collar) and wear a bowtie.
The outfit I was looking for was a white neck tie with a white shirt. I know the tux shirts are meant for bow ties so I figure I'd go with the turndown collar. French cuffs of course though.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between those two options, HSM is not worth the extra money--I admittedly haven't seen them but I'd almost wager the John W. Nordstrom one is as good or better. I think JWN is usually made by Arnold Brant or Jack Victor, or a maker along those lines, both of which are on-par with HSM.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld
Both are Notch Lapels (I know, I know). Both with Center Vents. The HSM is a 1 button and the JW Nordstrom is a 2 button. The outfit I was looking for was a white neck tie with a white shirt. I know the tux shirts are meant for bow ties so I figure I'd go with the turndown collar. French cuffs of course though.
You must be joking.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 button Peak lapel, ventless. ONLY

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notch lapel DJs are really not good. Don't do it.
The proper black tie outfit is about the most stylish thing a man can wear notch lapels and a single vent don't come close, and it is worth investing in since you can keep a classic dinner jacket for a long long time. I still wear a DJ I inherited from a great uncle, I don't know how old it is, but because it is classically styles it still fits in now.

pbc

Reaction score
Harold,

What happened to the suit? If the service is still at 4pm in the summer I think a dinner jacket will look very out of place. The options you've mentioned do not look good. Please go back to the suit idea; you had some great ones picked out as well as the rest of your outfit. You will be glad in ten years (or even one) when you look through your wedding album. What changed your mind?

pbc

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pbc
Harold,

What happened to the suit? If the service is still at 4pm in the summer I think a dinner jacket will look very out of place. The options you've mentioned do not look good. Please go back to the suit idea; you had some great ones picked out as well as the rest of your outfit. You will be glad in ten years (or even one) when you look through your wedding album. What changed your mind?

pbc

It came down to price...I thought a $160 JW Nordstrom was a good deal and I was hoping I could make it work. I'm heading down to Seattle this afternoon to check out Nordstrom Rack, Nordstroms and Brooks Brothers and I'll let you which way I decided. I'm still torn between the tux, a gray three piece or a charcoal suit. I'll let you know and thank you for all the advise and kindness you've shown me
smile.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
black bowtie, if your a slim guy go for a club or batwing.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you get black tie get a classic dj, but a suit would really be much much better at a day time wedding.

pbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld
It came down to price...I thought a $160 JW Nordstrom was a good deal and I was hoping I could make it work. I'm heading down to Seattle this afternoon to check out Nordstrom Rack, Nordstroms and Brooks Brothers and I'll let you which way I decided. I'm still torn between the tux, a gray three piece or a charcoal suit. I'll let you know and thank you for all the advise and kindness you've shown me
smile.gif

Ah. Money frequently gets in the way of life. If you haven't yet decided, many retailers are offering great deals right now. JCPenney has several options, including their American Living mid gray three piece for $200 - all wool, nice narrow herringbone for character, two-button, I think. (If you still want to look at a tuxedo they also have a couple of all wool single button options. Looks like notch is the only lapel offered, but there have been worse crimes. Total about $100 for the coat and pants right now. Can't be beat for serviceable dinner jacket. Then you can make good on your investment by taking your new wife out to the theater and dinner a few times.)

Joseph Bank is another place to try. They are always having sales, including one through tomorrow for a $199 suit and a second for $99. They have no three-piece or double-breasted options.

Several department stores have at least one three-piece gray suit on sale right now. Some people like to stick to brands; I don't. Get the best investment for your budgeted money. Then make sure it fits well. (Some places include tailoring in the purchase price.) Probably the two most noticeable problems that make a suit look sloppy, assuming it's the right size, are sleeves and pants too long. Get a slight break in the pants and show a half inch of shirt cuff. (Make sure the shirt sleeve isn't too long or short.) I think for most people the jacket sleeve should be at about the hand-side of the protruding wrist bone.

Good luck, keep us posted.
pbc

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think i would go to a Brooks brothers outlet long before going to JC penny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads