• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Jacket Wedding Opinions

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Alright guys. I know a lot of you were against the Notch Lapel, single vent, two button DJ, but I pulled the trigger and purchased it yesterday. I brought it to a Nordstroms tailor and she marked the hell out of it and I am hopeful it will turn out well.

I also had them make me a turn down collar white shirt in pique with the french cuffs. I also ordered a pair of AE Park Avenues in black, in which I plan on polishing the hell out of.

Do you think I can still turn this into something decent or am I screwed by SF standards?

PS: I understand where some people are coming from, for having a traditional tuxedo, however my bride to be isn't wearing anything traditional and I don't want to look mis-matched. Here is what she is wearing.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/...tegory=-49999486|-49995498&catentryId=1000198

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
sounds great!

really!? Thanks! I was expecting a less than favorable response. Now onto the matter of the tie, braces, pocket square, cufflinks and waist coverings.

Is a cumberbund or vest absolutely necessary? I'm afraid I'm going to be hot as hell in this thing as is...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
black bowtie, if your a slim guy then go for a club or batwing. If you are a 'full' guy go for a standard sized bowtie.

Black braces, might as well go for the cummerbund.

white linen pocket square, tv fold.

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
black bowtie, if your a slim guy then go for a club or batwing. If you are a 'full' guy go for a standard sized bowtie. Black braces, might as well go for the cummerbund. white linen pocket square, tv fold.
Sounds good! For the braces I've been poking around SF and heard that *blank *blank makes the best, but they were like $90 (Sorry I don't remember the name of the guy). Does anyone know where to get these at a discount, or recommend a safe alternative. PS: Whoever recommended AE Outlet, thanks a million. I just ordered my shoes for $244+shipping. WAY better than the full $325 Nordstroms was asking.

pbc

Reaction score
Black bow tie is the only option with black tie.
Color of braces doesn't matter that much. I like to stick with either black or white, usually white. The jacket shouldn't come off, so they won't be seen anyway. Just make sure they are the button kind (have the tailor add brace buttons to the pants) and that the buttons are properly spaced.
White pocket square. A silk puff would be nice, linen is classic. I prefer TV folds, single peaks, or puffs.
Cuff links (and studs) for black tie are traditionally black onyx set in white gold (or other silver metal). Yellow gold is popular, too. Get something special for the wedding if you want, rules are less strict with cuff links.
A cummerbund or vest is necessary. The cummerbund will be less expensive and simpler since they only really come in one style. For either the vest or cummerbund, black is the only option. I doubt you'll be very hot if this is indoors.

Do have the lapel button hole cut open or added so you can insert your boutonniere.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld
Alright guys. I know a lot of you were against the Notch Lapel, single vent, two button DJ, but I pulled the trigger and purchased it yesterday.

Don't worry. You can wear whatever you like. Black tie conventions are irrelevant. You have not purchased a dinner jacket. You have purchased a black suit. IIRC, that's what you were planning on doing in the first place.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you considered closing the single vent?

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Don't worry. You can wear whatever you like. Black tie conventions are irrelevant. You have not purchased a dinner jacket. You have purchased a black suit. IIRC, that's what you were planning on doing in the first place.
You know, I really didn't realize that until you said something. Would it be more appropriate to treat it as a suit then or would it still be acceptable as treating it as a tux?
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Have you considered closing the single vent?
When I took it to the tailor, she suggested that I close the vent in order for it to fit me better, however I didn't know if it would look good or not. I'm thinking that if I dress it up as a suit rather than a tux it might look better with the vent open, but if I decide to try and wear it as a tux I was going to have her close it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld
When I took it to the tailor, she suggested that I close the vent in order for it to fit me better, however I didn't know if it would look good or not. I'm thinking that if I dress it up as a suit rather than a tux it might look better with the vent open, but if I decide to try and wear it as a tux I was going to have her close it.

I'd close it. It will look a lot more elegant. Single vents on regular suits look bad enough; on dinner jackets, they're excruciatingly jarring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads