• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo--Necessary for Cruise?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently, to keep the peace of the house, I offered to take my wife on a short cruise sometime in the not too distant future. I have never been on one of these ships, and I have a strong hunch the whole business is not my cup of tea. However, she has and seems to enjoy herself immensely on these cruises.

Anyway, I am aware that they have "formal nights" on these cruises. I have always presumed that a proper black tie ensemble was at least the preferred attire on these evenings. Thus, I thought this would be a job for my good friends in Kowloon since I don't own such attire. However, my stepson, who has been on some of these cruises advises me that it would be a "complete waste of money" since "nobody" wears tuxedoes/dinner suits to these events. Is this true? Or has his perception been colored by having sailed with some of the cheapest cruise lines? Any advice would be welcome.

Also, can any of you suggest what some of the better cruise lines are? I was thinking of L.A. or Long Beach Harbor to Acapulco and back or something like that.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I've never been either, but I suspect your stepson is correct. FWIW, I have seen photos of my extended family (cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents) on cruises (nice ones) in the early 90s. My grandfather (in his mid-80s) was seen in an ivory DJ, everyone else in chinos/slacks and blazers, some with ties, some without, and I think things are certainly trending more casual today than back then even.

And while I hate to give advice in these matters, if this cruise is about taking your wife on a vacation to make her feel good, then spending your time worrying about your wardrobe may be counterproductive.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Recently, to keep the peace of the house, I offered to take my wife on a short cruise sometime in the not too distant future. I have never been on one of these ships, and I have a strong hunch the whole business is not my cup of tea. However, she has and seems to enjoy herself immensely on these cruises. Anyway, I am aware that they have "formal nights" on these cruises. I have always presumed that a proper black tie ensemble was at least the preferred attire on these evenings. Thus, I thought this would be a job for my good friends in Kowloon since I don't own such attire. However, my stepson, who has been on some of these cruises advises me that it would be a "complete waste of money" since "nobody" wears tuxedoes/dinner suits to these events. Is this true? Or has his perception been colored by having sailed with some of the cheapest cruise lines? Any advice would be welcome. Also, can any of you suggest what some of the better cruise lines are? I was thinking of L.A. or Long Beach Harbor to Acapulco and back or something like that.
Two words: "Love Boat" First, IIRC, there are a bunch of threads about this exact topic on AAAC. Second, it depends, to some extent, on which cruise line you are using. If it's something like Carnival, you're going to be more concerned about the wet t-shirt contest than formal night. I suspect that's pretty much the level of what you'll find on the tequila run. If you were sailing to London on Cunard it might be a different story. But, I certainly wouldn't commisson a DJ for a three-night Carnival cruise to Acapulco. For one thing, it will probably cost more than your ticket.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the line, I would think. Many are going for family vacationers or spring breakers. Some of the older guard would probably still encourage proper attire.

The very highest end ships on the west coast are probably hoping VCs will come, however, and would forbid anything but polo shirts.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Jan,

I believe our forum-mate Sonik works for the industry. If you search in the Lifestyle forum, I think there's a cruise thread where he runs down the lines, in terms of ranking them and what they offer. As to the formal night, why what else? Prince Charlie.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I fully support the notion of having a bespoke tuxedo made for a cruise.

However, I suspect that a festive dinner jacket--tartan perhaps?--might not be inappropriate.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I fully support the notion of having a bespoke tuxedo made for a cruise.

However, I suspect that a festive dinner jacket--tartan perhaps?--might not be inappropriate.

I want to cruise with LK. Wait, that came out wrong.
blush.gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cruises are pretty awful, lots all I'll say. you certainly don't need a tuxedo to match all the canadian tuxedo's you'll see on board

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
cruises are pretty awful, lots all I'll say. you certainly don't need a tuxedo to match all the canadian tuxedo's you'll see on board

^ This. I would imagine a T-shirt without vomit stains or holes in it would put you a the top of the heap style-wise.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Also, can any of you suggest what some of the better cruise lines are? I was thinking of L.A. or Long Beach Harbor to Acapulco and back or something like that.

Bottom: Carnival
Lower Middle: Royal Carribean, Princess
Solid Middle: Holland America, Cunard
Upper Middle: Celebrity, Cunard First Class
Entry Upper: Regent, Cunard Grill Class
Middle Upper: Seabourn, Silversea
True Upper: Buy your own boat.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mark from Plano has been on over 200 cruises, and I believe that he wore a dinner jacket each time.

Jan: why not? Better you spend your money than your heirs or dogs.

- B

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most cruise lines are fine and have formal nights, but only the upper lines require you to wear a dinner jacket for their formal nights. The wife and I just came back from a ten day cruise in the Pacific and people just wore regular suits for the formal nights. The cruise itself was a wonderful experience, though, I can recommend it.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As people have said above, "formal night" generally just means wear a shirt, tie, and jacket -- and on the cruises I've been on there are only one or two of these anyway (it's often only a certain sitting of dinner so those who don't wish to dress up can still eat at the other one and not even think twice about it).

There are always a few people decked out to the 9s but IMO they generally come off as trying too hard (you're sitting around on a boat, gorging yourself at a buffet 23 hours a day as likely as not, let's be reasonable about this).

Armed with a nicely fitting suit and some SF-derived knowledge of how to style it, you'll already be head and shoulders above most of the crowd.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
As people have said above, "formal night" generally just means wear a shirt, tie, and jacket.

There are always a few people decked out to the 9s but IMO they generally come off as trying too hard.

Armed with a nicely fitting suit and some SF-derived knowledge of how to style it, you'll already be head and shoulders above most of the crowd.

You've nailed it straight on.

My wife and I primarily sail with Regent, Seabourn, & Silversea.
For the last few years there has been "suggested black tie" on some evenings.
Most evenings were "country club casual."
Well, that's how one line described it.
Suits or conservative coat w/ odd trousers were required,
but dinner coats were not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads