1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dinner jacket (tuxedo) buttons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Dec 7, 2004.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

I have a thrift store Jos A Bank tuxedo that I may like to drag out from time to time. What I didn't notice at the time of purchase was that the buttons are all uncovered plastic. They are pretty unobtrusive, but as you can imagine being me, embarrassing. I need to replace them but it's hard to find replacements online.

They should be satin covered, two (yes I know) large waist type buttons and eight sleeve buttons.

If anyone has a line on these let me know. I will also contact Bank and ask them if they can send me a set.

TIA.

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

A lot of local fabric stores can make fabric-covered buttons for you at a buck a piece, or so.

You just make your selection of satin, buy the minimum amount of fabric, and they'll make 'em up in a day or two.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Side-note: tuxedo buttons do not have to be satin-covered. I wanted one without (in fact, the DB midnight blue one I mentioned elsewhere today on the forum) [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. j

j Senior member Admin

Thanks Nick. I can't imagine finding proper satin at any of the fabric stores I've been in, though. Maybe I'll call around to the tailors nearby if Bank can't come through for me. I imagine they have access to better stuff.

5. j

j Senior member Admin

Zj, I suppose they don't, but I like them that way. If you saw the ones on this, you would definitely not find them acceptable. They are basically the fabric covered type, without the fabric on them. I don't know what happened, but they all look like black textured ABS plastic. I suppose I could replace them with regular black ones, but I for one like the covered buttons on formal wear.

BTW, very nice choice, midnight blue. That's some serious style-history cred.

6. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Yeah, I find most fabric places tend to never stock fabric you might actually want. Gray flannel? Never heard of it. If you find a place with a button-making press, though, you can find black silk satin at Denverfabrics.com. I've never ordered satin, but I've ordered a few other things and been happy.

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

Windsor button in Boston, Mass. should have them.

8. j

j Senior member Admin

Thank you Horace and Nick. As it turns out, I won't need to check there.

I emailed Bank, told them I bought one of their tuxedos second-hand, and enquired about the availability of replacement buttons. They replied quickly with a request for my mailing address so they could ship them to me. I must say, I am impressed. I will update again when they come.