Dinner jacket (tuxedo) buttons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Dec 7, 2004.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I have a thrift store Jos A Bank tuxedo that I may like to drag out from time to time. What I didn't notice at the time of purchase was that the buttons are all uncovered plastic. They are pretty unobtrusive, but as you can imagine being me, embarrassing. I need to replace them but it's hard to find replacements online.

They should be satin covered, two (yes I know) large waist type buttons and eight sleeve buttons.

If anyone has a line on these let me know. I will also contact Bank and ask them if they can send me a set.

TIA.

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

A lot of local fabric stores can make fabric-covered buttons for you at a buck a piece, or so.

You just make your selection of satin, buy the minimum amount of fabric, and they'll make 'em up in a day or two.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Side-note: tuxedo buttons do not have to be satin-covered. I wanted one without (in fact, the DB midnight blue one I mentioned elsewhere today on the forum) [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. j

Thanks Nick. I can't imagine finding proper satin at any of the fabric stores I've been in, though. Maybe I'll call around to the tailors nearby if Bank can't come through for me. I imagine they have access to better stuff.

5. j

Zj, I suppose they don't, but I like them that way. If you saw the ones on this, you would definitely not find them acceptable. They are basically the fabric covered type, without the fabric on them. I don't know what happened, but they all look like black textured ABS plastic. I suppose I could replace them with regular black ones, but I for one like the covered buttons on formal wear.

BTW, very nice choice, midnight blue. That's some serious style-history cred.

6. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Yeah, I find most fabric places tend to never stock fabric you might actually want. Gray flannel? Never heard of it. If you find a place with a button-making press, though, you can find black silk satin at Denverfabrics.com. I've never ordered satin, but I've ordered a few other things and been happy.

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

Windsor button in Boston, Mass. should have them.

8. j

Thank you Horace and Nick. As it turns out, I won't need to check there.

I emailed Bank, told them I bought one of their tuxedos second-hand, and enquired about the availability of replacement buttons. They replied quickly with a request for my mailing address so they could ship them to me. I must say, I am impressed. I will update again when they come.