• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner jacket question

Jupiter

Reaction score
What is the difference between a dinner jacket and a tuxedo? Is a dinner jacket just the jacket from a tuxedo?

Also, what kind of trousers can be worn with a dinner jacket?

Thanks.

Mekk

Reaction score
"Tuxedo" is just another way of saying dinner jacket. Different circles use different terms but "Tuxedo" was coined first.

Personally I prefer dinner jacket because to me it better represents the attire's purpose - dress for dinner.

With regards to the trousers they should be of the same (black) fabric as the jacket, have a braid covering the seams, be without cuffs and worn with suspenders.

thomaus247

Reaction score
When people use the words Dinner Jacket these days they are usually referring to a separate jacket of a color other than black to be worn as an alternative to a tuxedo. The classic example is a white dinner jacket. A dinner jacket is meant to be worn with the traditional tuxedo pant and is slightly less dressy than a tuxedo. Dinner jackets can be made of an infinite number of fabrics, from tartan to tone on tone to silk brocade.

I don't believe there is any occasion to use the jacket from a tuxedo by itself. It must always be worn with the matching trousers (that includes the tacky "Denim & .... events were everyone wears jeans and even, gasp, tennis shoes with their tuxedo jackets. Don't do it)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
"Tuxedo" is an American term, disdained by the British who will always say "Dinner jacket." On Savile Row, you order a "Dinner jacket and trousers" not a "dinner suit."

The French and the Germans call the same coat a "Smoking jacket" or even just a "smoking."

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
On Savile Row, you order a "Dinner jacket and trousers" not a "dinner suit."

Even a 3-pc? "Jkt/trs" is the usual item I get invoiced for with any 2-piece suit for daywear. But a 3-piece is a "suit."

Midnight Blue

Reaction score
Just please don't call it a "tux"!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Even a 3-pc? "Jkt/trs" is the usual item I get invoiced for with any 2-piece suit for daywear. But a 3-piece is a "suit."

That I don't know. I do recall that on A&S's price list, "Lounge suit" means 3-piece, and there is an entry for "dinner jacket and trousers." I think you would order the latter, and then add a vest. Not sure. I will be there Wed/Thurs and will ask.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

That is exactly how it is written up in the Steed pricelist:

Steed

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That is exactly how it is written up in the Steed pricelist: Steed - B
Looking at that pricelist, I am taken aback by how little the upcharge is for a dinner jacket and trousers when compared to a normal two piece suit. The upcharge on mine was much, much more. Anyway, I always say tuxedo because I figure that the most important thing is for everybody to understand what I am saying.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Looking at that pricelist, I am taken aback by how little the upcharge is for a dinner jacket and trousers when compared to a normal two piece suit. The upcharge on mine was much, much more.

That is low by SR standards. Most houses upcharge anywhere from 300 to 500 GBP.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looking at that pricelist, I am taken aback by how little the upcharge is for a dinner jacket and trousers when compared to a normal two piece suit. The upcharge on mine was much, much more.

Am I not a fortunate customer? I really run out of superlatives for Edwin, and I am glad that he has the business to continue to support such a relatively reasonable pricing approach.

I do, in fact, have a dinner jacket and trousers in the works right now from Steed, and I can confirm that despite the more narrow upcharge there, there was no limitation on fabric and materials selection. I ended up choosing a Fisher that is the blackest of black in nearly every light.

What can I say? I like my tailor very much.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think I was dinged for a bit over 500
frown.gif
. I suppose it is the cost of putting in the facings as it looks to have taken a good bit of time. Who knows.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's a few things. They are detailed differently, requiring some additional materials and time to put them on. Some of those materials (good silk grosgrain in particular) cost more. And the canvas has to be done a little differently, with a layer of felt over the pad stitching, other wise the underside of the silk facings would get torn to shreds, and eventually start to affect the look of the surface.

I think A&S upcharges 500 pounds for a DJ & trousers, but can't remember exactly.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a few things. They are detailed differently, requiring some additional materials and time to put them on. Some of those materials (good silk grosgrain in particular) cost more. And the canvas has to be done a little differently, with a layer of felt over the pad stitching, other wise the underside of the silk facings would get torn to shreds, and eventually start to affect the look of the surface.

I think A&S upcharges 500 pounds for a DJ & trousers, but can't remember exactly.

Why do some tailors use silk to pipe the hip pockets? I think this looks awful.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Why do some tailors use silk to pipe the hip pockets? I think this looks awful.

Tradition! I like it. Or at least I don't hate it, though mine does not have it.

Logsdail once told me, adamantly, that no SR tailor would ever do such a thing, and that on SR it was considered a sign of "hired clothes." He overstated the case a bit, as I do see it over there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics