• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Jacket Question

operamatt

Reaction score
First off this is my first thread on S-F and I would like to say hello to everyone.

I sent an email enquiring about a custom tuxedo I saw illustrated online. The tailor I sent the message to has yet to respond. So I will post it here and see what S-F has to say.

hello; my name is Matthew and I happened to stumble across this illustration of a classic dinner jacket. It is my understanding that a traditional tuxedo has gross grain peak lapels and is (other than it having just one-button) cut similarly to a standard business suit. I would like to know if this is in fact the original design of the dinner jacket before society modified it.

the image is at this link: http://blog.turntablelab.com/images/dinner jacket.jpg

thankyou Matt

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, welcome to StyleForum. I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. I don't think posting an email you sent to some random tailor is really going to get you much of a positive reaction. If you can clarify what you are looking to have answered, that may help you get a better response. Second, that's not a tuxedo you posted. That looks to be a set of tails. A tuxedo has a longer jacket: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= Compared to tails: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
First, it's spelled "grosgrain." Second, either grosgrain (dull ribbed silk) or satin (smooth, shiney silk) is correct with a dinner jacket. I happen to believe grosgrain looks nicer but it can be harder to find.

dasai

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's a mess jacket, actually. An evening tailcoat doesn't close at the front.

I'd avoid the style unless you've got a fantastic physique, though.

operamatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel
First off, welcome to StyleForum.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. I don't think posting an email you sent to some random tailor is really going to get you much of a positive reaction. If you can clarify what you are looking to have answered, that may help you get a better response.

Second, that's not a tuxedo you posted. That looks to be a set of tails. A tuxedo has a longer jacket:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Compared to tails:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

I own a set of tails already and have already given away my previous black-tie attire to a co-worker of mine. I am looking for an ultra traditional black-tie "uniform".

I have everything in line for next years carnival season (I live in New Orleans). Opera pumps, black Grosgrain waistcoat, one button peak lapel tuxedo, ect. ect. ect. Then I saw this and it caught my eye. I wanted to know more about this style of dinner jacket and to know if it is appropriate for the look I am after.

operamatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
A great resource for you is www.blacktieguide.com.

I have already researched there, but thanks.

The simple form of the question I would like to ask is, "What did the first dinner jacket look like?"

also, an Internet forum is no place for formal grammar. If you think differently then join here to correct another members literacy. http://www.englishforums.com

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by operamatt
I have already researched there, but thanks.

The simple form of the question I would like to ask is, "What did the first dinner jacket look like?"

also, an Internet forum is no place for formal grammar. If you think differently then join here to correct another members literacy. http://www.englishforums.com

It's got nothing to do with grammar, and everything to do with etiquette and asking an actual question rather than posting a random email that doesn't make any sense. If you can't take the time to post something understandable, why should anyone take the time to help you?

Unregistered

Reaction score
I have already researched there, but thanks. The simple form of the question I would like to ask is, "What did the first dinner jacket look like?" also, an Internet forum is no place for formal grammar. If you think differently then join here to correct another members literacy. http://www.englishforums.com
Firstly, according to the black tie guide, the first "dinner jacket" was closed like the modern dinner jacket we see. I'm not sure when your original picture would have dated back to, nor is that closure familiar to me. I can think of someone who would know though - PM Sator. Secondly, formal and proper grammar is for any place, internet forum or not. Much like proper manners.

operamatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel
It's got nothing to do with grammar, and everything to do with etiquette and asking an actual question rather than posting a random email that doesn't make any sense. If you can't take the time to post something understandable, why should anyone take the time to help you?

the original question was presented in my first post. which no one has been able to answer.....

mjphillips

Reaction score
From what I gather the Tuxedo is sort of the bastard child of white tie and the smoking jacket, so looking for what was originally "proper" might be fruitless. Like trying to figure out the proportions of the first Martini ever drank.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
the original question was presented in my first post. which no one has been able to answer.....

Wrong, you've gotten the answer from a variety of sources.

The link you posted depicts a strange, fad hybrid. It was never common anywhere. It was certainly not the original dinner jacket.

If you want a classic DJ, several posts here have pointed out places to learn the details.

operamatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips
From what I gather the Tuxedo is sort of the bastard child of white tie and the smoking jacket, so looking for what was originally "proper" might be fruitless. Like trying to figure out the proportions of the first Martini ever drank.

a bastard child indeed.

i just love the way that style of dinner jacket looks and would love a reason to have one made to finish off my black-tie attire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads