• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dinner jacket boutonniere

ArsNova

Reaction score
What type of flower do you prefer for a dinner jacket? Perhaps red or white? I'm wondering if there is any type of flower that is considered traditional with formalwear, whether black or white tie. Are boutonnieres always appropriate? I must say that they've been quite the rarity at formal events I've frequented, and I'd like to wear one with the next opportunity i have.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been told carnations, but I'm able to count on one hand the times I've worn them. I like wearing pocket squares, and I think a buttonhole and a carnation can be too much.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt if one man in ten million will be able to tell you the proper flowers to use. White gardenia is beautiful, if fragile. Ive used tea roses in red or white. I think of a carnation or a cornflower as a day wear flower, and Im one of the last people to even wear one with any type of regularity that I know of. People used to ask me if I was going to or coming from a wedding which they havent done for a few years now. Im not quite sure what that says.

That boutonniere book by brioni is very good, im too lazy to look it up for you.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear a red carnation because I think the splash of red looks great against the black/midnight blue and white.

Incidentally, green carnations traditionally signify homosexuality.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee

Incidentally, green carnations traditionally signify homosexuality.

Except on St. Patrick's Day.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%