1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dinner jacket boutonniere

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ArsNova, Jun 21, 2006.

1. ArsNova

ArsNova Member

What type of flower do you prefer for a dinner jacket? Perhaps red or white? I'm wondering if there is any type of flower that is considered traditional with formalwear, whether black or white tie. Are boutonnieres always appropriate? I must say that they've been quite the rarity at formal events I've frequented, and I'd like to wear one with the next opportunity i have.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

I've always been told carnations, but I'm able to count on one hand the times I've worn them. I like wearing pocket squares, and I think a buttonhole and a carnation can be too much.

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

I doubt if one man in ten million will be able to tell you the proper flowers to use. White gardenia is beautiful, if fragile. Ive used tea roses in red or white. I think of a carnation or a cornflower as a day wear flower, and Im one of the last people to even wear one with any type of regularity that I know of. People used to ask me if I was going to or coming from a wedding which they havent done for a few years now. Im not quite sure what that says.

That boutonniere book by brioni is very good, im too lazy to look it up for you.

4. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

I'd wear a red carnation because I think the splash of red looks great against the black/midnight blue and white.

Incidentally, green carnations traditionally signify homosexuality.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

In the high society homosexual circles of Paris, a dyed green carnation did signify homosexuality.

I like an orchid.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Incidentally, green carnations traditionally signify homosexuality.

Except on St. Patrick's Day.[​IMG]