• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dining Room Chair Thread

Aung

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
confused.gif

I work in manufacturing. I have a pretty good idea what an aluminum sand casting costs, plus a marble top, and it ain't nearly that much. Why can't they be pumped off an assembly line?

Douglas,
I suspect you are right. A large part of the cachet of these modernist pieces lie in their exclusivity and high price points. Just for our information, can you please tell us what in your estimate will be the raw materials + manufacturing costs for making a Saarinen table? Or a plastic + metal chair like the ones Kartell, Knoll, Vitra, etc make?
Once we have that info, adding royalties, distribution, and ad costs, we can estimate the profits those hi-design companies are making off our backs!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aung
Once we have that info, adding royalties, distribution, and ad costs, we can estimate the profits those hi-design companies are making off our backs!
You'd rather not know...

JacobJacob

Reaction score
The curved legs on this chair by Finn Juhl is crazy - considered it is mede of wood.
479521753_8b79caf347_o.jpg
Other pieces by Finn Juhl
277_b.jpg
801-01_sq_sat.jpg
413_2_sq_sat.jpg
413_3_sq_sat.jpg

bramiro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
We started out with Panton chairs, then switched to Bertoia side chairs, then finally settled on some vintage Knoll-edition Mies chairs (but in dark brown leather):

MR_Side_Chair.jpg

I think we'll be keeping these.

I like this chair a lot. It looked elegant and will fit properly into my dream dining room.

i.gif

i.gif

mistahclassiq

Reaction score
what chair is this? is it a breuer cesca chair or is it the panton mentioned above? i don't like the rattan part of the breuer but i like their form..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads