• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dining Etiquette Question: Regarding the Use of Bibs

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some serious questions regarding bibs and dining etiquette:

When is it ok for one to use his napkin as a bib? Is it a faux pas at finer dining establishments? Is it only reserved for steakhouses during lunchtime? Or is it only acceptable to do at Red Lobster?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the course requires a bib, your host or the restaurant will provide it for you. Otherwise, I would refrain using the napkin as a bib.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your napkin goes on your lap. Anything else - tucked into your collar, on your head, is strictly for children. Only a very few "special" foods require anything else and as Maharlika you will probably be provided with something specific.

If you are seriously worried about getting some food on your clothes
1) sit up straight and close in to the table so you don't have the food in transit for so long between plate and mouth.

2) You are either eating to fast or you are rubbish with your cutlery you shouldn't be spilling your food on yourself, either slow down or practise.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bibs are almost completely unnecessary, provided:
A. you dont eat like a 4 year old -or-
B. your mother doesnt ask you to "show her how the piggies eat"

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless you're also given a mallet to whack those crabs, I think wearing napkins as bibs is not acceptable.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
that is why your $225 grenadine 7-fold tie is there. to protect your $15 van heusen white shirt from sploshes

smile.gif
Funny

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Unless you're also given a mallet to whack those crabs, I think wearing napkins as bibs is not acceptable.

+1. Only when eating with a mallet is a bib allowed. Otherwise, all you have to do is stop slurping.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
bibs are almost completely unnecessary, provided:
A. you dont eat like a 4 year old -or-
B. your mother doesnt ask you to "show her how the piggies eat"

Your mother does that too!?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if you're eating pho/noodles and broth where is is "polite" to slurp?

I'm about to go out and get something like that, and don't want to get my MTM Borrelli shirt all f'ed. Although I believe that the place I'm going to, Asians won't give two ***** what I use my napkin for as long as I don't wipe ****** with it.

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
What if you're eating pho/noodles and broth where is is "polite" to slurp?

I'm about to go out and get something like that, and don't want to get my MTM Borrelli shirt all f'ed. Although I believe that the place I'm going to, Asians won't give two ***** what I use my napkin for as long as I don't wipe ****** with it.

In Asian cultures (as far as I know) slurping is not a faux pas. I mean look at those soup spoons--they're designed for slurping.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CRABBIB50-2T.jpg

I'm sure some of the tailors on the forum could provide you a bespoke version.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here's what I do, I picked it up from somebody in italy (who really was a peasant, but he was an italian peasant) - I eat with my dominant hand. I take a napkin in my other hand. I hold the napkin by one corner, folded over my hand, so that at the edge of my hand it is already about as thick as the exposed part of my shirt (between the suit lapels). as I pick up food with my fork, I hold my other hand next to my neck, covering my tie and shirt with the napkin. as the fork goes down, so does the napkin.

I usually only do this with food that could be messy -pasta and so on.

Liam

Reaction score

When is it ok for one to use his napkin as a bib? Is it a faux pas at finer dining establishments? Is it only reserved for steakhouses during lunchtime? Or is it only acceptable to do at Red Lobster?

Obviously in higher class restaurants you'd look a bit strange doing that, even if you ordered ribs, I would think you wouldn't want to be hand eating them, right?
If the restaurant gives you one included with your meal then no worries.
Otherwise fold it on your lap and wipe your face as you need to do it.

marin

Reaction score

When is it ok for one to use his napkin as a bib? Never
Is it a faux pas at finer dining establishments? Yes
Is it only reserved for steakhouses during lunchtime? Don't do it
Or is it only acceptable to do at Red Lobster? Why are you eating at Red Lobster? There must be another option

I don't like bibs even when the restaurant (e.g., a crab shack) offers them. If the food is likely to be that messy, I dress casually and don't care whether my clothes somehow get soiled. When at a formal restaurant, if I'm worried about messing up my clothes (e.g., dining with a potential client), I avoid the foods-that-come-with-a-bib.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads