• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinesen Wide Plank Flooring or Engineered?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Does anyone here have Dinesen flooring in their home? I am curious to get opinions on it. I have seen fresh installations which look amazing but I have also seen older installations that have huge gaps because of expansion and contraction. I am not sure how you would get dirt out of those gaps.

I am debating whether to go with Dinesen or a wide plank engineered flooring. The benefit of engineered when you do 12-18" widths is that you don't have as much of an expansion issue. The downside is that you only have a wear layer to work with and you can't say you have Dinesen flooring which is valuable for resale (not that I would move).

Dinesen-Home-2-feature-1.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to why every question you ask is about a specific brand. It's almost like you are actually trying to promote these brands not asking genuine questions...

The flooring you mention is wood. The questions you ask would apply (or not) to any wooden flooring. You can get high quality wooden flooring from many different companies. You can get it finished or you can finish it yourself in many different ways. Professional installers will install it so that issues around expansion and contraction are minimized. It's got nothing to do with the brand.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I would say I am interested in having the best and there are always a brand or two in each category that are considered the best. I am aware of no other flooring brand that offers 30' planks that are 18+ inches wide. Dinesen seems to be considered the best when it comes to wide plank flooring. I saw this product at a couple of places in New York and the older installations had huge gaps.

There are not any other companies that I am aware of that do this. There are a very small handful of companies that produce and engineered wood with similar widths but not lengths.

I see high-end developments that name Dinesen flooring but other flooring brands do not seem to be mentioned.

If my threads about single brands are against the rules please let me know.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am just pointing out that most of your recent questions are either disingenuous or a bit dumb. I'll leave it for others to decide which.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Why is it dumb to ask questions about specific brands? That seems normal on this forum. There is no need to be rude. If you don't like my threads then please do not respond to them.

Kasperuk

Reaction score
Does anyone here have Dinesen flooring in their home? I am curious to get opinions on it. I have seen fresh installations which look amazing but I have also seen older installations that have huge gaps because of expansion and contraction. I am not sure how you would get dirt out of those gaps.

I am debating whether to go with Dinesen or a wide plank engineered flooring. The benefit of engineered when you do 12-18" widths is that you don't have as much of an expansion issue. The downside is that you only have a wear layer to work with and you can't say you have Dinesen flooring which is valuable for resale (not that I would move).

View attachment 933659
Hi

I appreciate this thread may be dead I love Dinesen, but while it is a very good product. Engineered is more stable. The wear layer you mentioned on engineered products would not really be a factor. Sanding a floor doesn’t remove much material. A maximum of 2mm on the first sand (if the boards are “lippey”) then aprox 1mm for any following sands. This should not be required for 10 years if maintained correctly.
6mm is the standard wear layer for engineered wide plank. But please don’t forget that Dinesen has a tounge and groove joint not much deeper. So it also has a wear layer.
Personally I would go for the engineered.

lucy9996

Reaction score
I am curious as to why every question you ask is about a specific brand. It's almost like you are actually trying to promote these brands not asking genuine questions...

The flooring you mention is wood. The questions you ask would apply (or not) to any wooden flooring. You can get high quality wooden flooring from many different companies. You can get it finished or you can finish it yourself in many different ways. Professional installers will install it so that issues around expansion and contraction are minimized. It's got nothing to do with the brand.
Gosh I have to say, that's such an aggressive reply! I've not been on this site before and nearly switched right over having read your reply. I didn't because I came across the site whilst googling Dinesen because I too have exactly the same queries as the first post in this thread from Sir William. Yes of course it's the Douglas Fir that I love but part of the attraction to the Dinesen is the extra long planks which are pretty special. We could literally take one plank from the front of the house all the way through to the rear which would look amazing. I can't seem to find anyone else supplying Douglas Fir doing this. But please , if that's not the case, do enlighten me if you have any ideas on this front.... but perhaps not so critically/judgementally or aggressively please!

lucy9996

Reaction score
Why is it dumb to ask questions about specific brands? That seems normal on this forum. There is no need to be rude. If you don't like my threads then please do not respond to them.
Wow! I'm
I would say I am interested in having the best and there are always a brand or two in each category that are considered the best. I am aware of no other flooring brand that offers 30' planks that are 18+ inches wide. Dinesen seems to be considered the best when it comes to wide plank flooring. I saw this product at a couple of places in New York and the older installations had huge gaps.

There are not any other companies that I am aware of that do this. There are a very small handful of companies that produce and engineered wood with similar widths but not lengths.

I see high-end developments that name Dinesen flooring but other flooring brands do not seem to be mentioned.

If my threads about single brands are against the rules please let me know.
Hi,
I realise this is an old thread and having had a rather harsh response I'd be amazed if you haven't left this site for good but just incase, I'm intrigued. Did you go with the Dinesen in the end or not? For my partner and I are going through the same dilemma. It's so much more expensive than what could be its closest rival ie Douglas Fir in shorter planks and the gap only gets bigger when we compared to an Engineered wood like Ash stained to similar pigment colour. I do not have Charles Saatchi's deep pockets so installing this floor would be a major big big big ticket item and then the pain doesn't end. Soap and Lye once a week for a year and then once a month forever to keep the keep the wood from drying out and cracking or shrinking. Then there's the cost of the soap itself - not cheap. All in all it's quite a commitment. Yes there's the oil route but the soap and lye sounds like a better way to go in many respects (dents coming out etc) from what the research has thrown up. But I'd so love to hear Sir William if you installed or anyone who has installed this floor Would they do it again? Does the look still compensate for the cost and maintenance a few years down the line? Did you sell your house and it added value? Would also love it, if the response was constructive! Thanks so much.

SimonDenmark

Reaction score
Hello
I am having huge problems with the quality from Dinesen. I have made a review which you can find on: https://dinesenfloors.com

Attachments

• 3CEED023-A299-4688-BFE3-F6E6482DC049.jpeg
    3CEED023-A299-4688-BFE3-F6E6482DC049.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 714

SlushPuppy

Reaction score
I am just pointing out that most of your recent questions are either disingenuous or a bit dumb. I'll leave it for others to decide which.
I appreciate this is an old thread but wow what a rude reply and why?? Dinesen is a huge brand and synonomous with Douglas Fir Flooring ... I should know this, as I work for an engineered wood flooring manufacturer in the UK. The questions that were asked by Sir William are valid and moreso, we are asked them pretty much every day several times a day by trained architects and homeowners alike. Douglas Fir is a beautiful floor (my favourite) that we make but do not particularly recommend. I have worked in the wood flooring industry for 26 years and although Douglas is my favourite timber I opted for Oak and Ash in my own home for flooring... knowing the nature of the beautiful beast (Douglas Fir) & its upkeep too. I have some beautiful Douglas Fir shelves and wall cladding though which I love...
If you buy a high quality engineered wooden floor the hardwood wear-layer is the same as for solid flooring 5-6mm (you cannot sand below the Tongue and the Groove of a floorboard) . If you buy a cheaper chinese / eastern european engineered wood floor then the wear layer is minimal and will allow for only 1/2 sandings. Its like anything, you generally pay for what you get but we make engineered wood flooring in widths up to 400mm and lengths up to 4m not quite as large as Dinesen's beautiful planks but large enough for most ....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads