1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Dinesen Wide Plank Flooring or Engineered?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SirWilliam, Feb 28, 2018.

1. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior Member

Does anyone here have Dinesen flooring in their home? I am curious to get opinions on it. I have seen fresh installations which look amazing but I have also seen older installations that have huge gaps because of expansion and contraction. I am not sure how you would get dirt out of those gaps.

I am debating whether to go with Dinesen or a wide plank engineered flooring. The benefit of engineered when you do 12-18" widths is that you don't have as much of an expansion issue. The downside is that you only have a wear layer to work with and you can't say you have Dinesen flooring which is valuable for resale (not that I would move).

Dinesen-Home-2-feature-1.jpg

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

I am curious as to why every question you ask is about a specific brand. It's almost like you are actually trying to promote these brands not asking genuine questions...

The flooring you mention is wood. The questions you ask would apply (or not) to any wooden flooring. You can get high quality wooden flooring from many different companies. You can get it finished or you can finish it yourself in many different ways. Professional installers will install it so that issues around expansion and contraction are minimized. It's got nothing to do with the brand.

3. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior Member

I would say I am interested in having the best and there are always a brand or two in each category that are considered the best. I am aware of no other flooring brand that offers 30' planks that are 18+ inches wide. Dinesen seems to be considered the best when it comes to wide plank flooring. I saw this product at a couple of places in New York and the older installations had huge gaps.

There are not any other companies that I am aware of that do this. There are a very small handful of companies that produce and engineered wood with similar widths but not lengths.

I see high-end developments that name Dinesen flooring but other flooring brands do not seem to be mentioned.

If my threads about single brands are against the rules please let me know.

4. FlyingMonkey

I am just pointing out that most of your recent questions are either disingenuous or a bit dumb. I'll leave it for others to decide which.

5. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior Member

Why is it dumb to ask questions about specific brands? That seems normal on this forum. There is no need to be rude. If you don't like my threads then please do not respond to them.

6. FlyingMonkey

That will not be hard. It looks like no-one else does anyway.

7. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior Member

8. Kasperuk

Kasperuk New Member

Hi

I appreciate this thread may be dead I love Dinesen, but while it is a very good product. Engineered is more stable. The wear layer you mentioned on engineered products would not really be a factor. Sanding a floor doesn’t remove much material. A maximum of 2mm on the first sand (if the boards are “lippey”) then aprox 1mm for any following sands. This should not be required for 10 years if maintained correctly.
    6mm is the standard wear layer for engineered wide plank. But please don’t forget that Dinesen has a tounge and groove joint not much deeper. So it also has a wear layer.
    Personally I would go for the engineered.