• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dinesen Wide Plank Flooring or Engineered?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Does anyone here have Dinesen flooring in their home? I am curious to get opinions on it. I have seen fresh installations which look amazing but I have also seen older installations that have huge gaps because of expansion and contraction. I am not sure how you would get dirt out of those gaps.

I am debating whether to go with Dinesen or a wide plank engineered flooring. The benefit of engineered when you do 12-18" widths is that you don't have as much of an expansion issue. The downside is that you only have a wear layer to work with and you can't say you have Dinesen flooring which is valuable for resale (not that I would move).

Dinesen-Home-2-feature-1.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to why every question you ask is about a specific brand. It's almost like you are actually trying to promote these brands not asking genuine questions...

The flooring you mention is wood. The questions you ask would apply (or not) to any wooden flooring. You can get high quality wooden flooring from many different companies. You can get it finished or you can finish it yourself in many different ways. Professional installers will install it so that issues around expansion and contraction are minimized. It's got nothing to do with the brand.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I would say I am interested in having the best and there are always a brand or two in each category that are considered the best. I am aware of no other flooring brand that offers 30' planks that are 18+ inches wide. Dinesen seems to be considered the best when it comes to wide plank flooring. I saw this product at a couple of places in New York and the older installations had huge gaps.

There are not any other companies that I am aware of that do this. There are a very small handful of companies that produce and engineered wood with similar widths but not lengths.

I see high-end developments that name Dinesen flooring but other flooring brands do not seem to be mentioned.

If my threads about single brands are against the rules please let me know.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am just pointing out that most of your recent questions are either disingenuous or a bit dumb. I'll leave it for others to decide which.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Why is it dumb to ask questions about specific brands? That seems normal on this forum. There is no need to be rude. If you don't like my threads then please do not respond to them.

Kasperuk

Reaction score
Does anyone here have Dinesen flooring in their home? I am curious to get opinions on it. I have seen fresh installations which look amazing but I have also seen older installations that have huge gaps because of expansion and contraction. I am not sure how you would get dirt out of those gaps.

I am debating whether to go with Dinesen or a wide plank engineered flooring. The benefit of engineered when you do 12-18" widths is that you don't have as much of an expansion issue. The downside is that you only have a wear layer to work with and you can't say you have Dinesen flooring which is valuable for resale (not that I would move).

View attachment 933659
Hi

I appreciate this thread may be dead I love Dinesen, but while it is a very good product. Engineered is more stable. The wear layer you mentioned on engineered products would not really be a factor. Sanding a floor doesn’t remove much material. A maximum of 2mm on the first sand (if the boards are “lippey”) then aprox 1mm for any following sands. This should not be required for 10 years if maintained correctly.
6mm is the standard wear layer for engineered wide plank. But please don’t forget that Dinesen has a tounge and groove joint not much deeper. So it also has a wear layer.
Personally I would go for the engineered.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.