• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dimples on Ties...

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The lack of a dimple makes it look like you don't know what you're doing. Somewhat similar in effect to lacking trousers, albeit at a different order of magnitude.

Nice comeback! Not a complete recovery, but I think you realize that ;).

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get a breakdown of Spoo's pocket squares. The knots are exemplary though. Dimple all the way.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spoo, how do you maintain/ attain that arch? Just practice, or is there a secrit?

Practice, and I give it a little tickle on the bottom.

Spoo would you mind teaching us the art of tying ties your way? please

I promise Im thinking about posting a video one day.

I recently had a dream involving Spoo, a shoeshine and a length of pink cloth used to buff the shoes. The tag on the cloth said "Attolini" and had a nice dimple.

There is a thread for this, you know.

why the secrecy?

Im just never changing knots, thats all.

I'd like to get a breakdown of Spoo's pocket squares.  The knots are exemplary though.  Dimple all the way.

Here you go.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, not all ties are made equal. I have some lovely Etro ties that just don't have the width necessary when making the knot. I can make the dimple, but the fabric resists, and the dimple is short lived. Maybe I'm not experienced enough, but sometimes the lack of a dimple does not indicate I didn't know better, just the lesser of two evils that day. My Charvet and Kiton ties on the other hand, have a nice width at the knot, and dimples are all but certain with those. I noticed the Brioni ties fair well also.

Any brand recommendations, regarding sufficient width at the knot?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it dimples properly, it dimples properly. I'm not about to spend 20 minutes in the morning tying and retying my tie to get a perfect dimple.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Near perfection every time - Panta, Charvet, Attolini, Drakes.

If it dimples properly, it dimples properly. I'm not about to spend 20 minutes in the morning tying and retying my tie to get a perfect dimple.

Me neither. More than 1.5 minutes, I need to choose a different tie.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, not all ties are made equal. I have some lovely Etro ties that just don't have the width necessary when making the knot. I can make the dimple, but the fabric resists, and the dimple is short lived. Maybe I'm not experienced enough, but sometimes the lack of a dimple does not indicate I didn't know better, just the lesser of two evils that day. My Charvet and Kiton ties on the other hand, have a nice width at the knot, and dimples are all but certain with those. I noticed the Brioni ties fair well also.

I've given up even trying on my 3.25 inch ties from PRL and BB. I get a nice dimple easily on my Robert Talbott ties.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've given up even trying on my 3.25 inch ties from PRL and BB.  I get a nice dimple easily on my Robert Talbott ties.

3.5" BB :
bb2d02a2.jpg

3.5" PRL:
1f478812.jpg

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^

My 3.5" BB ties dimple decently, but I have the same PRL tie in navy and burgundy and cannot do anything with it. Spoo, I eagerly await your video telling us your secret.

patrick shea

Reaction score
If I'm going somewhere formal then I go for a dimple. If it's a casual type setting then I let the tie decide if it wants a dimple or not.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If I'm going somewhere formal then I go for a dimple.  If it's a casual type setting then I let the tie decide if it wants a dimple or not.

Don't give it too much decision making power.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You own the tie. The tie doesn't own you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads