• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dilemma: How to bear with fallacious landlord for the next 3 weeks

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I would ask for any readers to offer their own opinions on the issue.

I'm moving to a college residence in 18 days from my old place. The former arrangement was like this: Being from the States/Asia, I sought out a convenient place to lodging while doing my college degree, and happen to come upon someone willing to rent out a room in the basement. The price was reasonable and I paid for meals, so I went ahead.

However, I have been forced from using the washing machine, and he complains that I'm being too loud and dispruting his sleep when I talk on my cell or when I go into kitchen after midnight for some food or when I use the bathroom to wash my hands.

Moreover, my room temperature flunctates between 19-21 celsius, and I would be more comfortable in a 23-25 setting since it's already approaching winter and the outside temperature has been in the negative scale. Therefore, I have attempted to put the baseboard heater to good use. However, he has claimed that the heating company called and issued a recall, therefore the heater has to be turned off.

Freezing my rear end off, I have to walk around my room wrapped in a blanket, and I have resorted for some time to bringing laundry to a local laundromat. However, over the past 2 weeks (I have in here for 5 months) I decided enough was enough, and I secretly used the heater , and washed my laundry once per week. He claims in order to prevent the machine from wearing out, he wants to combine both his and mine loads. However, this person also throws towels and dishrags into the load as well. Completely unacceptable since my wardrobe is quite expensive and delicate, as I'm sure many on this forum can relate to.

Well recently, I have made an agreement to wash my laundry only once a week. When I was doing the only load of the week, he happen to come upon and started to fly in a rage because he argues that my load didn't quite fill the machine and he could have thrown in a few extra items of his own. This defeats the intention of washing a completely autonomous load. Furthermore, he finds out my heater is on and he proceeds to cut off power to the heater.

So I, sans heater and washing machine, have no choice but to move out. I have 3 more weeks to go before my lease ends, and he's being as unreasonable as possible since he knows I'm moving and thus feel he doesn't have to treat a tenant with respect anymore. Moreover, simply moving in the kitchen after midnight ilicts a flurry of cussing from that destestable individual.

I believe I have been an exemplary tenant, often washing all the dishes in the house during meals, vacuuming the entire basement and cleaning the toilet when it was optional and also helping with the renovation of the house.

Apparently he's forgotten all the goodwill and help in the past, and is a downright **** right now. Moreover, he has been spreading slander around the neighbourhood since a few of the neighbours have told me how he told them I was a dishonest man since using the washer and heater behind his back compromises intergrity, and that I'm a irresponsible student since I didn't attend school for a week due to a bad case of influenza.

Well, I'm moving soon, and the dorm will be full of students likewise and I feel it will be enjoyable, however I'm asking if there is any advice on how to bear with such a troglodyte for the next 3 weeks?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spend the next three weeks shopping for rodents, which you may forget to take with you. The prospect will make you feel warmer.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you gave him a deposit, and you want the money back, whatever you do in the short term should keep that goal in mind.

After that, do what you will. Just don't let the negative energy from such a petty conflict drain the forces you need to move forward happily and productively in your life.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Well, I'm moving soon, and the dorm will be full of students likewise and I feel it will be enjoyable, however I'm asking if there is any advice on how to bear with such a troglodyte for the next 3 weeks?

Avoid contact as much as possible; you might even consider finding a friend to stay with for part of the time. If contact is necessary, feign kindness, even in the face of truculence. In short, don't do anything to fan the flames of tension, and console yourself with the solace that you will soon be rid of this less than chartiable soul.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if your landlord is giving you fellacio you should see them as much as possible.
smile.gif

Seriously, this person sounds like a very unreasonable person. Three weeks will pass by VERY quickly and I would spend my time preparing for the move, and doing whatever it takes for the next three weeks to get out of there. Avoiding sounds this person sounds good and doing what it takes to stay level headed / safe / comfortable and not compromising your integrity to sink to his strange level.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
You people watch too much Chapelle.

But, thank you gentlemen for the sound advice. I also have been avoiding them and literally "tiptoe-ing through the tulips". Can't wait for the new phase of residence to start!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you could take the high road and just move out without a word spoken except maybe a courteous "goodbye"

or if you choose the path to hell:

the rodent idea is actually a good one. also think about termites, cockroaches, gophers... or blade a piece of the rubber thing on the ref so the cold can seep out- thats gonna be hell on his electric bill.... or strip a little skin off his television cable and let moisture seep in the cable.... or leave a magnet on top of the television overnight.....

chrysalid

Reaction score
*********** washing achine then burn the house down.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
*********** washing achine then burn the house down.

haha! a friend of mine actually shat on a piece of paper once and left it on top of the ceiling of his sworn enemy's office. the stink pervaded for weeks and they werent able to find the source of the stench!
laugh.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
get a half dozen frozen jumbo shrimps. take down the shower curtain in his shower, thread the shrimps inside. look for other, interesting and hard to find places to position shrimp meat. do this on the day you leave. have fun.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
get a half dozen frozen jumbo shrimps.

crackup[1].gif

You had me at "shrimps".

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upper decker.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
so way back when some friends and i had the coolest theme party Ive ever attended in a house we were sharing. Ahh the "Weve Already Lost Our Deposit" party of 97
smile.gif
There were people inside the ceiling filling up the wall cavity with a hose, there was a curtain fire setting contest, a contest to see who could sledgehammer a brick out of the fence the furthest onto the street and so on. At one point while my then-housemate was running around squirting Ribena all over everything some dude weve never seen grabbed him by the throat and said "dude, show a little respect, somebody's gotta live here" he was like "I live here!" I am so old.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take your time sabotaging his house. Nothing dangerous just little things he will discover are amiss over the days/weeks following your departure

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads