• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

digital cataloguing of clothes

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was wondering...

have any of you taken pictures of all the clothes in your wardrobe and used a computer in some way to cycle through different combinations of tops/ bottoms/ shoes? it seems like it would be an interesting method of picking out different pieces that work together.

useless, but interesting.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if a few people here do, but that seems slightly obsessive. Why not just see what the combinations look like in real life?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit obsessive and have an unhealthy interest in databases, so I can't deny that creating a digital catalog of my closet has crossed my mind. Luckily I don't have the time to go through with it.

I knew a professor who kept such a digital database and used it to select his wardrobe. And while it's not quite the same, PG has mentioned more than once that he has an excel inventory of all his clothing. I don't know of any consumer application designed for this purpose though.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
A wardrobe database software that is capable of cataloging all of your clothes including accessories and footwear, matching your outfits based on situations such as attending a business meeting, going to the movies, and even going to the bathroom. Programming advanced enough to ignore clothing that are out of style or those that you don't even know why you bought in the first place. Even ensures that no combination of clothing will ever be repeated by the maximum number of clothing articles (can be adjusted by weeks, months, or years). Who's up for the challenge?

I see the appeal. There are lots of those virtual wardrobe games for girls where you mix and match clothes. Some designer websites have them as well. Though using your own clothes might be a little excessive. But I wouldn't be surprised.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clueless.jpg

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Potato
A wardrobe database software that is capable of cataloging all of your clothes including accessories and footwear, matching your outfits based on situations such as attending a business meeting, going to the movies, and even going to the bathroom.

It should also check local weather conditions and adjust the outfit accordingly.

Programming advanced enough to ignore clothing that are out of style or those that you don't even know why you bought in the first place.
It would also be nice to be able to rate (1-5 stars) outfits or individual items of clothing.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Duke of Windsor had swatch books to remind him which suits he kept in different cities.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
i was wondering...

have any of you taken pictures of all the clothes in your wardrobe and used a computer in some way to cycle through different combinations of tops/ bottoms/ shoes? it seems like it would be an interesting method of picking out different pieces that work together.

No way on Earth am I going to do that. I run a website that sells clothes and it's database driven and I take enough pics of clothing as it is. I'm not about to do it for fun. In any case live in front of a mirror is the only way to really dress if that's what you're worried about. The tonal qualities, saturation of colors etc. are real versus the oft times false colorings found on a computer monitor.

CarbonatedTsoda

Reaction score
Thought about it briefly, as it would remind you about some items that are stuffed way back in some drawer, and it would also let you cycle through combinations quickly to see how they look. Then I realized how much effort it would take, and how the payoff would minimal, or even nil if the lighting changed while I was photographing. Plus things tend to look different in real life.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
i was wondering...

You've obviously seen clueless

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Takes a second to try something on to see if it works. Even less to just imagine it.
yeah.... it was just a thought that crossed my mind and i wanted to see if anybody had done it. and for the record, i have never seen "clueless" nor do i understand how it relates to this subject
tounge.gif

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
The Duke of Windsor had swatch books to remind him which suits he kept in different cities.

Nice.

Brutus

Reaction score
I actually really wanted to do this so that I could have someone tell me which combinations matched and which didn't. It would help avoid any color combo mishaps.

What would one do about the constant fading of the denim? The program should prompt for a new photo of any raw denim every 2 months.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Great for those without any personal style or imagination.

Or colorblind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads