• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Digital Cameras/Photography

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not DSLR, cost?
Cost is not the problem, size is the problem. Although the Panasonic/Leica is getting up there.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck between 3 cameras and trying to figure out what to buy. Â I take a lot of outdoor and indoor (long exposure) shots. Â My 3 choices: 1) Panasonic DMC LC1/Leica Lumix 2 Pros: build quality, excellent Leica Summicron lens, ease of use, viewfinder, larger CCD 2/3. bounce flash setting. Cons: Price, size, slowest shutter speed of 8 secs., highest ISO equivalent is 400 2) Nikon Coolpix 8400 Pros: Wide angle 24mm equiv., swingout LCD, larger CCD 2/3 Cons: reviews not out yet - I will be buying soon, Ugly as sin 3) Sony DSC V3 Pros: Price, long shutter speed of 30 secs, ISO equiv up to 800, nicer looking than the Nikon, unlimited VGA movie mode. Cons: problems with apeture settings on auto/program auto, jog dial easy to knock and change settings, 35mm equiv. wide angle, no thread to attach a circular polarizer. Any thoughts? btw. I don't want an DSLR.
Since it has been phased out recently, you can probably get a Sony V1, a wide angle converter, and an adapter for use with a circular polarizer for the same price as a V3. I have a V1 specifically because it is the size of a film P&S camera yet has a hot shoe and pre-flash TTL metering when used with an external flash. It's not pocketable (unless you have some REALLY big pockets) but fits nicely in a small camera bag; the V3 is quite a bit larger. I don't enlarge past 8x10, so I have no problems with the pixel count being lower on the V1 than the V3. I wouldn't count on the ISO 800 ability of the V3 for much, on the V1 the noise is pretty bad, and it may be worse on the V3 due to the higher pixel count on the same size sensor. None of the P&S style digital cameras I have seen are going to be a joy to use with a polarizer. It's too difficult to judge effects on the low res EVF or back screens. Of those three, if I had the cash I'd probably get the DMC LC1, because of the film camera-like controls. Sony has some of the least friendly control sets for SLR/RF users to transition to, and the DMC LC1 (by design) has a great user interface. The 24mm equivalent on the Nikon seems pretty tempting, though.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If size is the question, and I am sure of one person in the forum it must be, then try the Cool Pix from Nikon, fab camera in a small case. We use one for the days on holiday we really do not want to schlep the biggie around.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about getting that Bogen monopod with the little stabilizing leg thingies. I might go play with one somewhere to see how useful it really is. That price through B and H is pretty good, since it includes a head.

stevo4

Reaction score
I just have to say i love my D70. Went to Butterfly World in the Boca area of Florida with the family yesterday. First time trying the macro feature with the lens and D70. Overall very happy and no Post work was done with the cameras. Link below. http://imageevent.com/production/flo...butterflyworld stevo

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
oI just have to say i love my D70. Went to Butterfly World in the Boca area of Florida with the family yesterday. Â First time trying the macro feature with the lens and D70. Â Overall very happy and no Post work was done with the cameras. Link below. http://imageevent.com/production/flo...butterflyworld stevo
Ugh... someone in those pictures is using a sony mavica. Those things get ZERO style points from me.
smile.gif
What lens are you using with the D70? the Nikkor it comes with? If so, how's the quality? A guy I knew was unsatisfied with the quality of most of te DSLR lenses that come with cameras. What distance were those butterflies shot at?

stevo4

Reaction score
The lens was a Nikkor 24-85 D, f2.8-4.

The Butterflies were at most, 1-2' and the macro shots were 6" maybe? if that. It was nice having a pretty subject that didn't care you were invading its space.

The mavica was owned by my sister's husband but being held by my mom.

I never used the kit lens that came with it since it was really close to my 24-85 and it was a slower lens. Plus i have the 12-24mm wide angle zoom from Nikon designed for the D70 which is really nice too.

I do read from the DPreview.com forums under D70, that most like the kit lens and have been happy with the results.

Thanks,

stevo

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The butterflies in the last handfull of pictures look an awful lot like parrots. That's a hell of a macro lens.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Just received the Panasonic FZ20's little brother the FZ3 from B&H. Nice little camera with plenty more features than I'll ever need and an amazing zoom.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just received the Panasonic FZ20's little brother the FZ3 from B&H.  Nice little camera with plenty more features than I'll ever need and an amazing zoom.
post some pics.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Here's a shot of a boat in the distance with and without the zoom. Pretty impressive for such a small camera.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is that the 12x optical zoom, 3 megapixel model?

dietcookie

Reaction score
All this talk makes me want a digital camera. I had a Canon S30 Powershot for a while but sold it for some reason I can't remember. Currently, I use a Mamiya 645 Pro. It's a pretty damn heavy camera but I wouldn't trade it in for anything at this point. I've been drooling over any Leica rangefinder for a while, but all my money goes to bills and clothes unfortunately.

I've just skimmed through the thread but I think there was the topic of hand holding a camera with slow shutter speeds? If not, oh well but the general rule is use a tripod if you shutter speed is less than the length of your lens unless you have a flash. So if your meter tells you 1/60 shutter speed and your lens is a 35mm lens, your ok. But if you were using for example like an 80mm lens, a tripod would help. Otherwise, open up your aperture. I'm pretty sure most of you know this, but maybe someone doesn't.

ViroBono

Reaction score
I have just taken delivery of a Fuji F610 Zoom - almost half-price in a sale - so I can carry it with me, and as back up for my Nikon D100.

I am very pleased with it - it's the third Fuji I've owned, and all have been excellent. This one has 6m pixels; the images are bright and the clours fantastic. It also has a rechargeable battery, a big plus in my view.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads