• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Digestifs

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent stresses have made a late-night-need-a-little-something-feeling-a-little-ugh digestif a very attractive proposition and I'm looking for suggestions, as I'm weak in that area of spirits. Primarily looking for something flavored with fruits, herbals, or nuts that is just barely sweet, but not cloying like a Maraschino or a Cointreau.

Right now I have a Grand Marnier, which is lovely. I've also used B&B or Lillet Rouge in this role in the past. On hand I also have Chartreuse (green), Galliano, Pernod, Amaretto, Sambvuca, various eau de vie, etc, but they don't really do it for me. Looking for some other suggestions. Wine-based spirits are good, too -- I've never had Dubonnet. Grappa, I suppose, is the classic suggestion, but seems to violent and dry for what I'm after. Marc would likely be also.

Once, I had a Spanish or Portuguese amaretto that was clear, fragrant and quite dry, not cloying like Di Sarronno. Anyone know that spirit?

~ Huntsman

hi-val

Reaction score
Divorce it from the completely asinine frat boy associations and Jaegermeister is a fantastic digestif. I like it on the rocks for sippin' and it's good for settling a stomach, especially if you've overeaten. I haven't had it, but Zwack is one I've been meaning to try and is supposed to be in the same line. Applejack like Laird's is a fine product as well. There are good anisettes and ouzo too, I happen to like the flavor after a good meal.

I'm not sure how sweet Frangelico is (it's been awhile) but it's one of those nut liqueurs like you're interested in. Again, it's been awhile, so I'm not sure if Grand Marinier is too sweet either. If you're looking for something bitter and bracing, there's Campari and Cynar (chee-nar, it's an Italian liqueur made from artichokes!) but they're more of aperitifs.

Hope this helps!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like some nice port or Grand Marnier now and again after a huge dinner, usually followed up by some strong coffee.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm doing casual dining, like at the bar of a nice restaurant, I usually go with a Fernet... has a black licorice taste. Being from the SF Bay Area, I might even ask for it with a ginger back.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using Sambvuca for digestif. I think any anise flavored liquer would have similar stomach calming effect. I have been meaning to try other herbal digestive liquers as well.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
Divorce it from the completely asinine frat boy associations and Jaegermeister is a fantastic digestif.

+1

I'm also a fan of Underberg, though it's not exactly your typical digestif spirit; more like an herbal tonic I guess.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been alternating between

port
ice wine
quadrupel beer

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got my friend to try Campari as he had never heard of it and he spent the next 10 minutes trying to get the taste from his mouth. Though I hate it too, I thought that was an extreme reaction (it's not bad in REALLY small doses)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Limoncello. We've got a wide array of italian restaurants here in CR and for whatever reason a good portion, including a chain seen in malls, include a complimentary digestif. It was because of this custom that I first tried limoncello served ice-cold. It really hit the spot, so much so that I've made a habit of stocking a very good bottle on my freezer.

To be honest, however, I find myself drinking it mostly as I make breakfast on Sundays. It really helps to take the edge off of making pancakes.

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I just got my friend to try Campari as he had never heard of it and he spent the next 10 minutes trying to get the taste from his mouth. Though I hate it too, I thought that was an extreme reaction (it's not bad in REALLY small doses)
Straight-up? Campari is pretty bitter there, but splash in Vermouth and Gin and you get the world's perfect cocktail, the Negroni. Oh also, if you tricked your friend, shame on you! People you trick aren't likely to trust you when you present something delicious, and they'll never remember that you introduced them to that delicious scotch and buy you a bottle for your birthday...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah I didn't trick him. We were at a bar and he hadn't heard of it before so the bartender gave us a mini-sample size to taste.

Anyway thanks for the reminder on the Negroni. I've never had it and I'll check it out once I get the chance.

hi-val

Reaction score
The Negroni is the most sublime example of disgusting ingredient + disgusting ingredient + disgusting ingredient = ridiculously good. It's the big brother of the Gin and Tonic, another combination of awful stuff equaling something delicious. It's a pretty cool trick.

There's also Drambouie; I was some slinging back the other day. It's a little sweet, but neat with an ice cube is the way to go.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Marc de Bourgogne or Vieille Prune de Souillac.

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I like an oloroso sherry but that's probably too sweet for you.

Manzanilla or Amontillado are great after-dinner drinks too. Try them with smoked almonds, yum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads