1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty landing a job at Waffle House

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Joseph K. Bank, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Senior member

I have moved down to North Carolina to apply for jobs at various local Waffle Houses but have found it difficult to get a position. Most of the managers have said that they feel that I am over qualified for the positions and would not fit in with Waffle House clientele although I have tried to reassure them that I am loyal to the brand and am very enthusiastic about their products. Has anyone here had a similar experience while seeking employment? I have even gone as far as wearing a navy polo and taupe pants to an interview.

2. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Damn, I would lick Bert's Chili off of my girlfriend's heaving bosums.

K

3. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

Immediately go to walmart and buy the cheapest clothing they have. Don't shave your face for a few days; actually, don't shower for a few days. Dumb down your resume by mispelling words, preferrably using Wafle Hose instead of Waffle House. For added measure, chew on something hard so a few of your teeth are chipped or broken altogether. Lastly, go buy a $100 domestic car and make sure it smokes like hell when you drive up to the interview.

P.S. I love Waffle House.

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

...and get a bunch of tattoos, and when you talk, mumble a lot and don't make eye contact with anybody. If you do get the job, don't go up to any of your tables until the customers have been there at least five minutes, and immediately ask nobody in particular, "Are you ready to order?" and don't write anything down ever. Bring the drinks after the food has arrived. Don't ever refill anyone's coffee unless they're able to flag you down. Don't bring the check until asked.

6. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

I witnessed the cook behind the counter at a Waffle House in Louisiana remove butter from its container WITH HER HAND! and slop in onto the griddle prior to cooking an order......it was revolting.
    However, I DO love their hashbrowns and their waffles....with pecans.

Some seriously disgusting sorts working there as a rule, however....
    And the smoking in some of the locations is out of control....

7. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Senior member

The responses so far do not seem very serious. I don't feel that being unprofessional is the way to convince anyone that I am serious about the job. I would be willing to work only for tips or for free even as I am being paid by a German company who will be opening a similar themed restaurant chain in Germany but I don't think that suggesting either would be practical.

8. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

...and get a bunch of tattoos, and when you talk, mumble a lot and don't make eye contact with anybody. If you do get the job, don't go up to any of your tables until the customers have been there at least five minutes, and immediately ask nobody in particular, "Are you ready to order?" and don't write anything down ever. Bring the drinks after the food has arrived. Don't ever refill anyone's coffee unless they're able to flag you down. Don't bring the check until asked.

He should also knock out a few of his own teeth.

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

don't mention you went to college.

10. x26

x26 Senior member

Hey Guys, Wait a Minute!!
    If Waffle House is good enough for my friend Kid Rock to get banned from it should be good enough for all of US!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Try Huddle House instead. It's slightly more upscale.

By "slightly", I mean that I never saw the patrons, at 4am, squirting the ketchup directly into their mouth. The waitress at Huddle House still wanted to talk to me about wrestling and eating alligators though.

I can't make this stuff up. . .

12. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

Don't worry, it is rough all over right now. Everyone is having trouble getting jobs. Some folks are even working their 200k per year fallback jobs.

Have you tried applying at IHOP instead of Waffle House? Maybe Denny's as well. There are always lots of Denny's and they usually seem cleaner than Waffle House, so perhaps they will think you fit in better.

13. js4design

js4design Senior member

Try Huddle House instead. It's slightly more upscale.

By "slightly", I mean that I never saw the patrons, at 4am, squirting the ketchup directly into their mouth. The waitress at Huddle House still wanted to talk to me about wrestling and eating alligators though.

I can't make this stuff up. . .

Huddle House? Sorry, some of us aren't independently wealthy Mr. Hollywood, I mean Crazyquik. [​IMG]

14. willpower

willpower Senior member

Waffle House? Like that galloping Euro synth trash techno stuff?

15. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

I think this is a great idea.

16. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Immediately go to walmart and buy the cheapest clothing they have. Don't shave your face for a few days; actually, don't shower for a few days. Dumb down your resume by mispelling words, preferrably using Wafle Hose instead of Waffle House. For added measure, chew on something hard so a few of your teeth are chipped or broken altogether. Lastly, go buy a $100 domestic car and make sure it smokes like hell when you drive up to the interview.

P.S. I love Waffle House.

I consider this to have been a completely serious answer in this case. I would've added 'adopt a shit-eating/child molesting grin' but that pretty much sums up my hypothetical approach to your dilemma, OP.

P.S. I love Waffle House as well, and fondly remember their all you can eat for some ridiculous $4.99 or something like that, in the early to mid '90s, which my high school late nights were based upon. They jacked the price up since then, but seeing as though you can still probably get a cheeseburger meal, some insane hashbrowns with a bunch of unnecessary and delicious shit on them, plus another item, for under $10, it still has a place for me, even if I never go there again in my life.
    P.P.S. saran-wrapped toilets were always a fun thing to do at Waffle House when bored or mad.

17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Completely serious, does anyone else feel me on the genius of those grimy ass onions, tomato cubes, green pepper cubes, and diced ham on top of the short-order hashbrowns, all covered in processed cheese? I'd eat that shit even if I were king of England.

18. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Huddle House? Sorry, some of us aren't independently wealthy Mr. Hollywood, I mean Crazyquik. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least Huddle House has photos of what the food may look like on the menu.

19. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Just reading this thread is making me hungry, and grossed out.

20. spertia

spertia Senior member

When I drove past our local Waffle House the other day, something looked off, but it took me a minute to put my finger on it. They had replaced the classic striped awnings with solid bright-red ones, for a crazy mustard-ketchup effect. Now instead of thinking of waffles or hash browns when I see the building, I think of hot dogs and burgers.